Naples is a city on the Gulf of Mexico in Southwest Florida that is known for its white sand beaches, beautiful golf courses, and high-end shopping. As of the 2018 Census, the city’s population was 22,039. The region is prone to hurricanes, floods, and tornadoes, during the Hurricane season which runs from the beginning of June to the end of November.
Hurricane Eta caused widespread destruction and killed dozens of people in Central America. Just as forecasters thought the Eta’s wrath was over, the mighty storm restrengthened and made landfall in South Florida on Sunday. Inhabitants in Naples and Marco Island were trying to enjoy their weekend when the tropical storm interrupted. Many quickly prepared for Eta’s arrival, but despite their efforts some homes and businesses still sustained serious damage.
What To Do After Hurricane Eta Leaves Your Naples Property Damaged
For many Naples residents, Hurricane Eta welcomed itself into their homes and businesses. After your home or business has been destroyed by a severe weather event, follow these steps to get the best outcome:
- Stay safe— Make sure you and your family are safe by finding the most secure area to wait out the storm. During the storm, it is important that you stay connected and follow all emergency instructions. Under no circumstances should you go outside until the hurricane has passed and your local government says it is safe to go outside. Make sure you avoid floodwater, as it can be contaminated with germs.
- Assess and document the damage— Only after safe conditions have been announced should you go outside and assess the damage. Survey your home and personal belongings for damage and make a list that you can refer to later. Take extensive photographs and videos of any and all property damage, as well as the surrounding area.
- Make necessary repairs— Depending on the type of hurricane damage your home sustained, you may need to make temporary repairs to protect your home from further destruction. If this is the case, be sure to save receipts so you can recover payment from the insurance company.
- Read your insurance policy— Before calling to file an insurance claim, you should read your policy in its entirety. Jot down any questions or concerns you may have regarding what is covered.
- File an insurance claim— Even if the damage is seemingly minor, call your insurance carrier and file a claim as soon as possible. Many policies require you to act swiftly when reporting a hurricane damage claim. Hidden roof damage can appear months or years later, leaving homeowners to deal with the cost of repairs alone.
- Get an estimate for the damage— It is never advisable to solely rely on the insurance company to give you an accurate estimate for repairs because they may try to underpay your claim. Hire a reputable contractor that specializes in hurricane damage to determine the true cost of repairing your home to its pre-hurricane condition.
- Hire an attorney— If you are struggling with the claims process, you may want to seek legal assistance. A skilled hurricane damage claims lawyer, such as one of the lawyers at FlorinIRoebig, can help you understand your rights as a homeowner and protect your interests every step of the way.
Common Types Of Hurricane Damage Covered By Homeowners’ Insurance
After Hurricane Eta leaves your Naples home or business destroyed, you may be left wondering what type of damage is covered by your homeowners’ insurance policy. Most home insurance policies protect you from damage caused by wind and rain, such as:
- Damage to roofs, sidings, and gutters
- Damage to windows and sliding glass doors
- Damage to landscaping
- Damage to kitchens and bathrooms
- Damage to personal property inside or outside the home
- Damage to exterior structures
- Damage to garages
Standard homeowners’ insurance policies exclude hurricane damage caused by flooding. Flood insurance is typically a separate policy that protects your home from this hazardous peril. Don’t make the mistake of assuming your damage was caused by flooding without consulting with an experienced property damage lawyer first.
Our Featured Case Results
When To Hire A Naples Hurricane Damage Lawyer
When a hurricane pummels through your community and leaves your property damage, you may think your insurance company is on your side. Many policyholders quickly realize this is simply not true. If you experience any of the following tactics from the insurance company, you should consider hiring a top-rated hurricane damage claims attorney right away:
- The insurance company says that the damage is not covered by your insurance policy or insists that the damage was caused by flooding, even though you suspect otherwise
- You are unable to get in touch with the insurance adjuster that is assigned to your claim
- The insurer is taking an unreasonable amount of time to process your claim or make payments for repairs
- The claim is unfairly denied or denied without any explanation
- The insurance company extends a lowball settlement offer that does not cover the cost of repairing your home
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Contact A Naples Hurricane Damage Claims Attorney Today
If your home or business suffered property damage caused by Hurricane Eta, don’t settle for less than what you are entitled to. Call the experienced hurricane property damage lawyers at FlorinIRoebig today for a free consultation and case evaluation.