A motorcycle accident is more than just a jarring event in your life. A single collision can result in consequences that stretch further than you ever thought possible. From mental stress to physical pain, many people have to wait for the dust to settle before they realize the true impact an accident had on their lives.
If you’re looking for motorcycle accident lawyers, it’s likely because either you or someone you know is facing a serious problem after the collision. Florida laws can help you take action against the at-fault party.
Motorcycle accident claims in Fort Myers can be filed for any number of reasons. The right attorney can help you understand what you’re entitled to and why. If there are extenuating circumstances, they can show you how certain facts involved in your claim may work to your advantage.
Attorneys, like those at Florin|Roebig, are available to sort through the details, structure your case, and get you the money you deserve. Learn more about state regulations, the claims process, and how final settlements are paid out.
Common Causes Of Motorcycle Accidents
What would be a tiny fender-bender for two cars can be a deadly collision for a car and a motorcycle.
Any number of factors can lead to a motorcycle accident, but some common causes include:
- driving under the influence: A driver who has had too many drinks or taken drugs (either prescription or street) will be more likely to make mistakes on the road. Impaired actions can lead to serious accidents.
- careless maneuvers: Because motorcycle drivers are less likely to show up in side-view mirrors or blind spots, drivers may veer straight into a motorcycle during lane changes. Drivers or passengers may also open doors that block a motorcycle without giving the driver enough time to slow down.
- motorcycle defects: While all motorcycles have to be tested before being put on the market, some errors slip through the cracks. If your motorcycle has a manufacturing defect that causes it to malfunction when you’re driving it, this can end in an accident.
- misjudgments: Some drivers see you but make incorrect assumptions about how fast you’re going or where you’re headed. For example, maybe you were going straight when another driver crashed into you while making a left-hand turn.
These common causes of motorcycle accidents can all lead to a claim against the other driver. A motorcycle is an inherently more dangerous vehicle to drive, simply because you don’t have the same protective metal cage surrounding you like a traditional vehicle.
This means that vehicle drivers have to take special care when they’re out on the road. The right attorney can not only help you get the justice you deserve, but they can also help cut down on the number of unnecessary accidents by forcing careless drivers to face the consequences of their actions.
They are absolutely amazing and Jessica is absolutely amazing they got me the full amount from my car accident got me the medical bills reduced so I didn't have to pay as much and I still had some money left over they worked very hard on my case and tirelessly because the insurance company was not exactly cooperative
What You Need To Know About Motorcycle Accident Claims
Florida has its own laws that determine the outcome of motorcycle accident claims. In other words, courts function differently from state to state. In Fort Myers, drivers are subject to comparative negligence, or the concept of shared fault in an accident.
Say you were struck on your motorcycle by a driver when they were changing lanes. If you were driving the speed limit and occupying your lane behind another driver, then you would likely not share fault in this accident. However, if you were lane-splitting at the time, an illegal practice in Florida, then you may either share fault in the accident or be determined to be entirely at-fault.
After the accident, your first job is to visit the doctor. Even if you feel fine, it helps to get the official verdict from a medical professional. A head injury may be extremely serious even if it doesn’t result in severe pain. From there, it helps to get in touch with an attorney.
An insurance company may seem like the next logical step, but the staff at an insurance company generally has their own agenda. Their job is not to delve into the details of your case, it’s to close claims quickly, and this can work against you in a complicated accident. The right attorney can tell you if you have a solid claim and when you should file it.
Reasons People File Motorcycle Accident Claims
People file motorcycle accident claims in Fort Myers for any number of reasons, such as:
- expenses: Certainly the most common reason is that the expense of motorcycle accidents can be overwhelming. From treatment to aftercare, the costs can skyrocket quickly.
- preventative measures: Consequences are what force drivers to think twice the next time they want to get on the road after a few beers or change lanes without checking their blind spot.
- other considerations: From your personal relationships to your long-term goals, a motorcycle accident can impact so much more than your pocketbook. People may file claims so they can tell their story about what was lost during the accident.
Types Of Damages Awarded For Motorcycle Accident Claims In Fort Myers
Motorcycle accident claims in Fort Myers may award compensation for any of the following damages:
- medical expenses
- loss of wages (both current and future)
- aftercare or long-term care treatments
- loss of consortium
- pain and suffering
It’s worth noting that some of these expenses are more likely to be paid out than others. For example, punitive damages are generally only given for claims in which there was malicious intent. Because most at-fault drivers are merely careless on the road, punitive damages are rare for these claims.
Understanding What Your Claim Is Worth
There are no simple ways to calculate your settlement. The amount you receive is based on everything from how much money you make to how severe your injury was. As you might imagine, pain and suffering are subjective and difficult to attach an exact dollar figure on.
There are also different rules for different types of damages. For example, loss of consortium refers to the breakdown of a spousal relationship after the accident. These damages can be filed by your partner against the at-fault driver.
These expenses would be part of the motorcycle accident claim, but paid to your spouse. An attorney can give you a better idea of how to make these claims, what to ask for, and how the money will be doled out.
Our Featured Case Results
Do You Need To Hire A Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
It’s not strictly necessary to hire a motorcycle accident attorney in order to file a claim, but it is highly recommended. An attorney will guide you through a complicated court system and give you tips on how to present the facts of your case.
They can give you a heads up on the most likely outcomes, which can help you make better decisions from beginning to end. They also understand the laws and loopholes that can give you a fighting chance — even when all seems lost.
Facts On Motorcycle Accidents In Fort Myers And Lee County
Lee County sees its fair share of vehicular accidents, including those involving motorcycles:
- In 2017, there were 310 total motorcycle crashes, resulting in 269 injuries.
- In 2016, there were 353 motorcycle crashes, resulting in 302 injuries.
- In 2019, there were 95 total fatalities on the road.
List Of Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Serving Fort Myers
Florin|Roebig has a number of motorcycle accident attorneys who serve Fort Myers, as well as areas throughout Florida, who can help you start your claim:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Taylor D. Roebig
- Michael A. Ossi, O.C.
- Lawrence J. Najem, O.C.
- Brian R. Dettman, O.C.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Reach Out For Help With Your Motorcycle Accident Claim
Tackling a claim is not only difficult on your own, but it can also result in you settling for far less than your claim is worth. The mere act of consulting with an attorney can empower you to take further action against the party who harmed you. Contact Florin|Roebig today for a free consultation and to get a sense of what you can expect from your claim and how it’s likely to be processed by the courts.