In Florida, fatal motorcycle accidents are 28 times more frequent than accidents involving passenger cars. The size and design of a motorcycle provides less protection for riders than a vehicle provides for its passengers and drivers, which is why motorcycle accidents have a high fatality rate. Victims in a motorcycle accident are often left with life-altering injuries.
Common Causes Of Motorcycle Accidents In Naples
Motorcycle accidents in Naples have many potential causes. Often, other vehicles that share the road with motorcycle riders are the cause of the accident. In 2016, 41 percent of the fatal crashes that occurred throughout the United States happened when another vehicle was turning left and collided with the motorcycle.
Failure to wear a motorcycle helmet increases the risk of serious injury or death in a crash. The National Highway Traffic Safety Institute estimates that over 800 lives could be saved each year with proper motorcycle helmet use.
Motorcycle riders who choose to ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol significantly increase the risk of an accident. In fact, 37 percent of motorcycle riders who were killed in accidents in 2016 had alcohol in their systems.
These are just some of the reasons for motorcycle accidents in Naples, other reasons include:
- failure to yield to traffic signs
- failing to pay attention to other drivers
- riding without the proper license
- riding in urban areas
Yet even riders who follow all safety precautions and yield to the traffic laws can, through no fault of their own, suffer an accident. Riders or families of victims killed in accidents need to understand their rights and the best steps to take after a crash.
They are absolutely amazing and Jessica is absolutely amazing they got me the full amount from my car accident got me the medical bills reduced so I didn't have to pay as much and I still had some money left over they worked very hard on my case and tirelessly because the insurance company was not exactly cooperative
What Are Your Rights After A Motorcycle Accident?
If you are injured in a motorcycle accident, or if someone you love was killed in one, you may have the right to file a personal injury claim. Protecting these rights starts the moment the accident occurs. Taking the proper steps after the accident will make it easier to file a personal injury claim later.
Immediately after an accident, injured parties need to seek proper medical care. After taking care of physical injuries, the next step is to talk to a team of motorcycle accident lawyers to start evaluating the case.
In order to file a personal injury claim after a motorcycle accident, you must be able to prove that the accident was due to negligence.
To prove negligence, the injured party must be able to prove:
- the at-fault party had a duty, such as a duty to follow traffic laws
- the at-fault party failed to perform that duty
- this failure caused the injury or damages
Florida is a comparative negligence state, which means the injured party may be held at fault partially in the claim. If the injured party had a role in the accident, the total amount of recovery is reduced based on the injured party’s amount of fault. Motorcycle accident attorneys in Naples can help victims understand how their liability may play a role in the claim.
Why Do People File Motorcycle Accident Claims?
One of the first reasons people in Naples file motorcycle accident claims is to get help to pay for the costs of their injuries or damaged property. These claims can be awarded damages to help with medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, vehicle repairs, and other costs associated with the accident.
Sometimes victims will choose to file a claim to hold the negligent party responsible for their actions. By seeking legal recourse against another driver, victims can ensure that those who failed to follow the law are held accountable.
Finally, some will file claims to help prevent future accidents. By calling attention to the behavior of the at-fault driver, and causing financial repercussions for those behaviors, many victims hope to educate others about motorcycle safety to prevent future accidents.
Damages Awarded For Motorcycle Accident Claims In Naples
Motorcycle accidents in Naples can lead to a number of types of damages.
- property damage — Property damage, such as damage to the motorcycle, can be awarded after a motorcycle accident. This will provide victims with money to replace or repair the motorcycle.
- medical bills — Accidents that lead to serious injuries can create tremendous financial burden through medical bills. Motorcycle accident claims in Naples will provide help to pay those bills.
- lost earning capacity — While recovering from an accident, victims usually cannot work. This leads to lost income. In addition, serious, life-changing injuries can lead to long-term loss of income. Damages to cover this loss can be part of the claim.
- pain and suffering — In addition to physical injuries, a motorcycle accident can cause mental and psychological damage. This can be hard to quantify but may be part of the damages awarded in a successful claim.
- punitive damages — Punitive damages are the most challenging type of damages. These punish the at-fault party for their actions. These damages go beyond the actual expenses the accident caused, such as medical bills or lost wages.
Understanding What Your Claim Is Worth
The value of motorcycle accident claims in Naples varies significantly from one claim to the next. The different circumstances and the costs the victim faces will impact the overall cost of the claim.
Some factors considered when determining the worth of a motorcycle accident personal injury claim include:
- types and extent of the injuries
- how those injuries impact the individual’s life
- lost income
- lost abilities
- overall trauma and mental anguish
- the severity of the negligence
Working with the right team of motorcycle accident attorneys in Naples will help victims get the best possible amount of their claim.
Our Featured Case Results
Reasons To Hire A Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Hiring a motorcycle accident attorney helps increase the success of your claim. With the help of a skilled legal professional, victims often get larger damages awarded. They also are able to better interpret the data about their accident to understand how negligence played a role.
In addition, working with an attorney provides help navigating the process of filing the claim. Motorcycle accident attorneys have extensive experience with the forms, paperwork, and processes of filing a claim. This protects victims from making simple mistakes that could put their entire claim at risk.
Facts On Motorcycle Accidents In Naples And Collier County
In the state of Florida in 2016, 515 rider fatalities occurred due to motorcycle accidents.
While specific statistics about motorcycle accidents in Naples and Collier County are not available, traffic accident statistics are as follows:
- In 2017, Collier County, including Naples, had 5,135 total vehicle crashes.
- Those crashes led to 2,819 injuries.
- Those crashes caused 23 deaths.
List Of Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Serving Naples
Florin|Roebig has a team of motorcycle accident attorneys serving Naples and the surrounding communities who are ready to help victims after a motorcycle accident. These attorneys have been serving the state of Florida since 1985, bringing a vast amount of experience and sound legal counsel to each client they serve.
The Florin|Roebig team includes these skilled attorneys:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Neil P. O’Brien, M.B.A.
- Shaun M. Cummings
- Luca G. Esposito
- Chad K. Florin, M.B.A., LL.M.
- Nicholas S. Costantino
- Parker Y. Florin, LL.M.
- Taylor D. Roebig
- Lawrence J. Najem, O.C.
- Andrew M. Leone, O.C.
- Nollys R. Solarte, O.C.
- Brian R. Dettman, O.C.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Get Help With Your Motorcycle Accident Claim
In mere moments, a motorcycle accident can leave you devastated. Getting a fair claim and the right amount of damages requires the help of a motorcycle accident attorney. Reach out to Florin|Roebig to discuss your case today so you can fully understand your rights and options.