Being injured in a motorcycle accident is always traumatic, regardless of the circumstances. However, when you know that your suffering could have been prevented, the situation becomes even more difficult to handle.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Ocala that was caused by another party, you may be able to file a personal injury claim to collect damages. The law offices of Florin|Roebig can explain the claims process to you in greater detail and provide experienced, trustworthy, and diligent legal representation throughout the claims process.
Causes Of Motorcycle Accidents In Ocala
In Ocala, motorcycle accidents may occur for a number of reasons. Some of the most common contributing factors include:
- poor visibility — In some cases, motorcycle accidents occur because of fog or other conditions that affect visibility.
- inclement weather — Rain and other poor weather conditions may contribute to motorcycle accidents.
- failure to yield — In many cases, other drivers fail to yield to motorcycles. This may occur because they fail to notice the motorcycle or because they are simply disregarding the rules of the road.
- poor road conditions — Certain government bodies and other organizations are typically responsible for maintaining reasonably safe conditions on the road. When these organizations fail to maintain roads properly, unsafe conditions may lead to motorcycle accidents.
- vehicle malfunctions — Malfunctioning motorcycles, cars, or other vehicles are sometimes responsible for motorcycle accidents.
After being denied coverage by my car insurance for a Hit and Run that happened to me, I thought I was going to have to eat the cost of car repairs and medical bills. Until Florin Roebig. They took care of everything. Went WAY above and beyond in helping me to repair my car and myself. I am blown away by the help I received, and the care and attention I was shown. No question was too much, no request too trivial, and definitely no stone left unturned. Kathy was assigned to help me, and I can never say thank you enough. You guys are the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be <3
What To Know About Motorcycle Accident Claims
Motorcycle accident claims in Ocala hinge on the concept of negligence. In order to win a motorcycle accident case, you must be able to show that one or more parties behaved negligently.
You must also show that the accident was a direct result of this negligence. A party has behaved negligently if they failed to exercise the minimum amount of care or concern as required by Florida law.
Florida courts use the philosophy of comparative negligence to make decisions in personal injury cases. Comparative negligence allows motorcycle accident victims to collect compensation even when they share some of the blame for the accident.
For example, if the court finds that you are 15 percent responsible for the accident in question, any compensation you are entitled to collect will be reduced proportionally.
After you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, the first thing you need to do is call for medical assistance. You should also contact the authorities to file a police report and initiate any required investigations.
Once you have taken care of both of these issues, the next step is to call a personal injury attorney. Your attorney will be able to advise you on the best course of action in your specific circumstances.
Why File A Motorcycle Accident Claim?
For most people who decide to file a motorcycle accident claim, the desire to collect compensation will be one of the primary motivations. In most cases, motorcycle accidents leave victims with injuries, pain, and disability.
All of these issues are costly. The settlement you receive in a motorcycle accident case can make it easier for you to deal with some of the intangible impacts of the accident, such as emotional trauma and damage to your quality of life.
In addition to collecting compensation, some people file motorcycle accident claims in order to ensure that the responsible party is held accountable for their actions. The court case will force the person or organization responsible for the accident to face what they have done, and it may even reduce the chances of future incidents.
Types Of Damages Awarded For Motorcycle Accident Claims In Ocala
Two main types of damages may be awarded to victims in motorcycle accident cases: compensatory damages and punitive damages.
Compensatory damages are damages designed to compensate you for specific expenses or losses related to the motorcycle accident. Examples of compensatory damages include medical payments, compensation for lost wages, and payments to repair or replace your damaged motorcycle. Compensatory damages may also include payments to compensate you for pain, suffering, psychological trauma, and other non-financial losses.
Punitive damages are damages designed to punish the negligent party for their actions. Punitive damages are most often awarded when the defendant acted with malicious intent and/or was extremely negligent.
Understanding What Your Claim Is Worth
A variety of different factors associated with your case can impact the value of your claim.
Some of the factors that may play a role in determining how much you collect include:
- type of injury — The greater the impact of your injury on your quality of life and ability to function, the higher your settlement amount will be.
- your expected recovery — If you are not expected to recover fully from your injuries, you may receive a higher compensation amount.
- your specific expenses — Specific expenses you have incurred and/or paid because of your injuries will be used in the calculation of your settlement amount.
- your degree of fault — If you were partly at fault for your accident, your settlement amount will be reduced proportionally.
Our Featured Case Results
Reasons To Hire A Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Hiring a motorcycle accident attorney can help with your case in several ways.
Some of the advantages of hiring a qualified motorcycle attorney include:
- access to the attorney’s expertise — Your attorney will have studied personal injury law in detail, and he or she will have already represented other clients in previous cases. This background can help you make better decisions regarding your case.
- guidance and support throughout the case — The process of filing and litigating personal injury cases can be lengthy and complicated. Your attorney will provide much-needed support from start to finish.
- legal representation the defendant will take seriously — When you have qualified legal representation, the defendant is more likely to take you seriously.
- invaluable advice during any mediation and/or settlement negotiation process — If you choose to negotiate a settlement in mediation, your attorney can help make sure you get the best deal.
Facts On Motorcycle Accidents In Ocala And Marion County
Ocala and Marion County experience some of the highest rates of motorcycle accidents and related injuries in the state of Florida:
- Marion County saw nearly 6,700 motorcycle accidents during 2017 alone.
- These crashes caused a total of 5,135 non-fatal injuries and 90 deaths.
- The number of motorcycle accidents, motorcycle accident injuries, and motorcycle accident deaths all increased from 2016 to 2017.
List Of Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Serving Ocala
When it is time to file a motorcycle accident claim, you need to know that you have the right attorney on your side. The team of motorcycle accident lawyers at Florin|Roebig are proud to serve Ocala and the surrounding area.
Members of our team include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Neil P. O’Brien, M.B.A.
- Shaun M. Cummings
- Luca G. Esposito
- John J. Hart
- Andrew M. Leone, O.C.
- Nollys R. Solarte, O.C.
- Brian R. Dettman, O.C.
- Michael A. Ossi, O.C.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Reach Out For Help With Your Motorcycle Accident Claim
Don’t try to face your motorcycle accident case alone. If you want to give yourself the best chance of collecting a fair settlement, work with a qualified, experienced motorcycle accident attorney. Please call the experts at Florin|Roebig today to schedule a consultation or to learn more about our services.