Injuries cause a variety of consequences for victims, including mounting expenses, physical pain, emotional trauma, and much more. When another party’s negligence was the cause of your injuries, however, you may be able to file a personal injury claim and collect the compensation you need to deal with these losses.
The personal injury attorneys at Florin|Roebig have represented clients in personal injury claims throughout the state of Florida. With our help, you can maximize your chances of winning in court.
Car Accidents And Other Incidents That Lead To Personal Injury
In Key Largo, people may choose to file a personal injury claim any time they are injured in an incident that was the direct result of someone else’s negligence. Defendants in these cases may be individuals or organizations, depending on the circumstances.
Some of the most common types of personal injury claims our firm handles in this area include:
- auto accidents — Auto accidents occur in Key Largo and the surrounding county of Monroe on a daily basis. In 2017 alone, these accidents resulted in 650 injuries and 18 fatalities. When one or more drivers are negligent, accident victims can file claims for compensation.
- dog bites — Owners of animals in Key Largo are responsible for making sure their pets do not injure others. If someone’s pet attacks you and causes injury, you may be able to file a personal injury claim.
- medical malpractice — Healthcare professionals have a duty to uphold a minimum standard of care when working with patients. When healthcare professionals are negligent and patients are injured as a result, patients have the right to file claims to collect compensation.
- slips and falls — Florida Health reports that falls account for a significant number of injury-related hospitalizations among Florida residents every year. In cases where these falls were the result of an unsafe environment with hazards that should have been removed or addressed in other ways, victims may be able to file personal injury claims against the responsible party.
Determining whether you should file a personal injury claim can be difficult, especially when the circumstances surrounding your injury are complex. Contact our firm for advice specific to your case.
What You Need To Know About Personal Injury Claims
Not every injury should lead to a personal injury claim. Every personal injury claim must involve negligence in order to be successful. Specifically, you must be able to show that the party responsible for your accident did not uphold the minimum standard of care Florida law requires.
However, in cases where the claimant is partly at fault, the situation is more complicated. In these situations, Florida courts will use a policy of comparative negligence to assign different proportions of fault to everyone involved in the incident. If a claimant wins a settlement, the amount of the settlement will be reduced based on the claimant’s degree of responsibility for the accident.
If you are not sure whether your injuries qualify you to file a personal injury claim, the best thing you can do is speak with a qualified attorney. In fact, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible following any injury, as the state of Florida restricts the amount of time you have to file a claim and collect a settlement.
Types Of Damages Awarded For Personal Injury Claims In Key Largo
If you win your personal injury claim in Key Largo, the court will award you a financial settlement. The purpose of this settlement is to ensure that you have been properly compensated and are able to move on with your life as successfully as possible.
Some of the compensatory damages that may be included in your financial settlement are as follows:
- compensation for past and future medical expenses
- damages related to lost wages
- benefits to cover loss of earning ability
- compensation for physical and psychological suffering
- damages for changes to your quality of life
Some claimants may receive additional damages that are not compensatory but are instead intended to punish the party responsible for the incident. These are known as “punitive damages.”
Knowing What Your Claim Is Worth
Every personal injury claim is different, and the value of your claim will vary based on the facts of the situation.
However, these claims are often affected by common factors, including:
- the type of accident — The type of accident will impact the value of your claim substantially. The more serious the accident and the greater the level of negligence involved, the higher the value of your claim will likely be.
- the type of injury — The type of injury you sustain will be considered when determining your settlement amount. Injuries that cause greater amounts of pain and ongoing disability tend to be worth more than minor injuries.
- the financial and personal impact of the accident — Most accidents will affect you both personally and financially. The nature of these impacts will play a role in determining the value of your claim.
Our Featured Case Results
Do I Need To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney?
The state of Florida does not require you to hire a personal injury attorney in order to file a claim. However, if you have a personal injury attorney representing you in court, your chances of winning a fair settlement will be higher.
Personal injury attorneys can benefit your case in a number of ways. For example, with the right attorney on your side, you will have access to in-depth knowledge of the law and expert guidance whenever you need it.
You will also be able to rest assured that you have met all the requirements of the law throughout every part of the filing and litigation process. In addition, if the defendant offers a settlement outside of court, your attorney will be able to help you make the most responsible and wise decision for your future.
List Of Personal Injury Lawyers Serving Key Largo
Although you may not be required to hire a personal injury attorney to file a claim in Key Largo, it is in your best interest to do so. Having a qualified personal injury attorney on your side will dramatically increase your chances of success in court.
Florin|Roebig attorneys have helped Florida residents file claims for personal injury and receive maximum compensation for more than 30 years. With our expertise and skilled guidance, you can file a claim and recover the maximum amount for your losses.
Here are some of the members of our legal team who currently serve the Key Largo area:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Chad K. Florin, M.B.A., LL.M.
- Michael A. Ossi, O.C.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Reach Out For Help With Your Personal Injury Claim
Personal injury claims in Key Largo can be complicated, and many claimants find it difficult to navigate these situations on their own. Fortunately, the experienced attorneys at Florin|Roebig are here to help you with every phase of your case. Please contact our office today to learn more about our services or to schedule a consultation.