The impact of personal injuries in North Miami may span from a few days off work to months of pain and rehabilitation. If your own experience leans toward the latter, then filing a personal injury claim in North Miami is one of the first steps toward winning damages for what may be a lifetime of suffering and loss.
The personal injury attorneys at Florin|Roebig have the experience and resources to navigate this process with you and facilitate fair compensation for the harm caused by the actions or oversight of another.
Car Accidents And Other Incidents That Lead To Personal Injury
In 2018, 862 people in the North Miami area died from personal injuries. This represents nearly 31 people per 100,000 living and working in the area. For every death, thousands more may survive these types of incidents with serious and lifelong complications.
Some of the most common causes of personal injury in North Miami are:
- car accidents (e.g., distracted driving, DUI, failure to follow road rules, etc.)
- medical malpractice
- slips and falls
- dangerous products
- wrongful death
- job incidents
- other accidents while on a person’s or organization’s premises
What You Need To Know About Personal Injury Claims
Before you file a personal injury claim in North Miami, you must understand some basic legal concepts. These could significantly impact your ability to get compensation, regardless of how bad your injuries are.
The first is negligence. In order to obtain compensation, you need to be able to prove it. Negligence is an action, or failure to act, that results in someone’s injury. In order for negligence to be involved, two criteria should generally be in place.
First, the party that allegedly contributed to the injury-causing incident would need to have some sort of obligation to take steps to prevent injury to another. Second, it’s only negligence if an ordinary person should have known that doing, or not doing something, might cause harm.
Florida law recognizes comparative negligence, also known as comparative fault. According to this concept, someone can be injured and still be considered partially at fault for the incident. However, if the other party has more than 50 percent of the fault, they may need to compensate you. Your compensation would be reduced by the percentage of fault that is legally yours.
Finally, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is four years. This seems like a long time to file, but the other party may use tactics to delay your filing, such as verbal agreements to pay your bills. Then when the time is up, they just stop paying, and you have few legal rights to insist that they do.
Because of the potential of these complexities to lead to a poor outcome for your personal injury claim in North Miami, you should contact personal injury attorneys first after getting urgently needed medical care.
Types Of Damages Awarded For Personal Injury Claims In North Miami
Medical bills are only the beginning. Since comparative negligence may come into play, you may be able to include other damages, as appropriate.
These may include:
- lost job, wages, or career
- pain and suffering
- emotional distress
- mental health therapies
- physical, pulmonary, and other therapies
- paying someone to perform daily activities that you could do before, like cooking or cleaning
- loss of enjoyment (e.g., a regular nature walker can no longer stroll through hiking trails because they are in a wheelchair on in pain when they walk)
- loss of companionship (e.g., a spouse dies leaving a hole in the lives of the surviving spouse and children)
- punitive damages
Punitive damages are intended to punish the other party for gross negligence and are only reserved for extreme circumstances. Courts award them when they want to bring about change and prevent this from happening to someone else.
In some cases, simply paying the injured person’s expenses would be the equivalent to a slap on the wrist, which may lead to more bad behavior. Punitive damages attempt to correct this imbalance. When appropriate for your claim, proving that punitive damages are justified can substantially increase the value of your claim.
Knowing What Your Claim Is Worth
Your personal injury claim in North Miami may be worth more than you think. Personal injury attorneys discuss various factors that influence damages awarded to give you an idea of how much you may win.
Some of these factors include:
- how many injuries
- where injuries are (e.g., facial burn scar may be worse than the same scar on the arm)
- how bad injuries are and if doctors expect a full recovery
- number of people who were injured or who lost their lives
- recovery time
- additional personal property losses
- financial impact now and in the future
- other impacts on quality of life, happiness, etc.
Our Featured Case Results
Do I Need To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney?
You do not have to hire personal injury attorneys to file a personal injury claim in North Miami. However, there are several reasons it may be a preferable option, even if you think you have an “open and shut” case.
Reasons to hire a lawyer include:
- most of the endless paperwork and deadlines become someone else’s responsibility (your lawyers and their support staff)
- someone else connects with witnesses and handles important interviews
- someone else ensures that law enforcement, the other party, and their lawyers are sharing evidence, according to the law
- experienced lawyers understand the law and systems you’ll face so they can make the case
- understanding what your claim is really worth
- preventing the defense’s lawyers from discrediting you to save their client money
- settling out of court, when possible
- expertise and moral support you need if you do need to go to trial
List Of Personal Injury Lawyers Serving North Miami
Working with an experienced personal injury trial lawyer can make all of the difference in your claim’s success. The lawyers at Florin|Roebig serve clients all over the United States but are right here near you, and we are ready to put our resources and skills to work for your claim.
Personal injury lawyers in our firm who can help you file a claim in North Miami include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Luca G Esposito
- John J. Hart
- Michael A. Ossi, O.C.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Reach Out For Help With Your Personal Injury Claim
Have you been injured because of the negligence of another? Are you ready to file a claim for compensation? It’s time to speak with the experienced trial lawyers at Florin|Roebig. We’re ready to make a case for your compensation and support you through the process. Please contact our office to discuss the details of your unique situation.