People who are injured in Ocoee often suffer a variety of consequences because of their injuries, including expensive medical bills, the inability to go to work, changes to their quality of life, and more. To recover these losses, victims must file a personal injury claim.
The process of filing and litigating a personal injury claim can be overwhelming, especially when you are still recovering from your injuries. However, you can simplify this process by working with the right attorney. The professionals at Florin|Roebig have experience with these cases, and we are here to help you succeed.
Car Accidents And Other Incidents That Lead To Personal Injury
Any time a person or organization’s negligence leads to injury, you may be able to file a personal injury claim and collect compensation.
Some of the most common situations leading to personal injury claims in the Ocoee area are:
- medical malpractice — Doctors and other healthcare professionals are responsible for keeping their patients safe. When a healthcare professional is negligent and a patient suffers harm, the patient or patient’s family can file a lawsuit.
- animal attacks — Some animal attacks may be simple accidents with no one to blame. However, if you are attacked by someone’s pet, the owner of the pet is often held responsible for your injuries. To collect compensation, you must file a personal injury claim.
- car accidents — Car accidents are incredibly common in the Ocoee area. In fact, Orange County, which contains Ocoee, recorded a total of 31,004 car crashes in 2017 alone. These car accidents were responsible for more than 21,000 injuries and 162 fatalities.
- slips and falls — Slips and falls often occur because of property hazards, such as uneven ground, wet floors, and/or poor lighting. When a property owner’s negligence is the cause of a slip-and-fall incident, the victim can file a personal injury claim.
Every personal injury case is different. To find out if your claim would meet the requirements of Florida law, contact a personal injury lawyer.
What You Need To Know About Personal Injury Claims
Before filing a personal injury claim, there are several important factors you should understand.
You cannot win a personal injury case without showing that negligence was a factor in the incident that caused your injuries. For example, if you were involved in a car accident, you must show that the driver who caused the crash was engaging in some form of negligent behavior at the time, such as drinking and driving or speeding.
2. Comparative Negligence
If you share some fault for the incident, your settlement amount will be reduced proportionally based on a policy known as “comparative negligence.” Your attorney can help you understand exactly how this issue may affect your case.
3. Statute Of Limitations
To collect a personal injury settlement, you must file your claim within the statute of limitations. For this reason, it is important to contact an attorney and begin the claims process as soon as possible when you suffer an injury.
Types Of Damages Awarded For Personal Injury Claims In Ocoee
If you win your personal injury case, you may bring home a variety of different types of damages in Ocoee. Some of the damages that are typically included in personal injury claim settlements are listed here.
Your exact damages will depend on the specific details of your case.
- medical reimbursements — If you have paid medical bills because of your injuries, you will be reimbursed for these expenses.
- future medical payments — If your injury is expected to result in the need for future medical care, you will receive additional damages to cover these costs.
- lost wage reimbursement — If you have missed work because of your injury, your financial settlement will include compensation for your lost wages.
- compensation for loss of ability to earn — In cases where you are not expected to make a full recovery, your settlement will compensate you for the money you will lose in the future.
- personal impacts — Many personal injury settlements also include additional damages to compensate you for the intangible impacts of the incident, such as physical pain, psychological trauma, and changes to your quality of life.
Understanding The Value Of Your Claim
Most claimants want to know how much their claim could be worth before they choose to file. However, because so many different factors can impact the value of a claim, it can be difficult to estimate this amount without a thorough evaluation of the case.
You can get an idea of how much your personal injury claim could be worth by considering the following factors:
- the type of accident that caused your injuries
- the nature and extent of your injuries
- your documented financial expenses
- any changes the injury caused in your personal life
- whether you are expected to make a full recovery
- the intent of the party that caused your injuries
Hiring an experienced attorney with a record of success will ensure that you have the highest chance of collecting the maximum settlement amount.
Our Featured Case Results
Do I Need To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney?
Under Florida law, you can file a personal injury claim without representation from an attorney. However, there are many benefits to hiring a personal injury attorney that make it the right choice for most people.
Some of the benefits of hiring a personal injury attorney to represent you in your case include:
- experience — Personal injury attorneys have been through the filing and litigation process before, and they can help you understand what to expect every step of the way.
- guidance — Your personal injury attorney will guide you as you make decisions, so you can maximize your chances of a positive outcome.
- support — Going through the personal injury claims litigation process can be challenging, but your attorney will be available to offer support as you need it.
- improved odds — Hiring a personal injury attorney can improve your chances of winning the case and taking home a fair settlement.
List Of Personal Injury Lawyers Serving Ocoee
If you are thinking of filing a personal injury claim in Ocoee, choose your legal representation carefully. At Florin|Roebig, we have experience in successfully representing clients in claims across the state of Florida.
Some of the members of our team who can work with clients in Ocoee include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Nicholas S. Costantino
- John J. Hart
- Parker Y. Florin, LL.M.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Reach Out For Help With Your Personal Injury Claim
Filing a personal injury claim on your own is not recommended. In addition, because of the statute of limitations, you need to move quickly to protect your right to collect compensation. If you have been injured in an incident in Ocoee, please contact Florin|Roebig today to schedule a consultation with a member of our team.