When you are injured because of someone else’s actions or negligence, you may be able to collect compensation by filing a personal injury claim against the responsible party. If you are thinking about filing a personal injury claim in Panama City, please contact Florin|Roebig today to schedule an appointment.
Our legal team has vast experience in handling personal injury cases throughout the state of Florida, and we are ready to put our experience and resources to work for you.
List Of Accidents That Lead To Personal Injury Claims
In Panama City, personal injury claims may involve almost any type of accident.
However, the most common types of incidents involved in personal injury cases include:
- vehicle accidents — There were more than 402,000 crashes on Florida roads in 2018. Many of these accidents resulted in injuries and/or fatalities. If you have been injured in a car accident, you may be able to file a claim against any party that contributed to the accident, including other drivers, vehicle manufacturers, or organizations responsible for road maintenance.
- falls — When you trip and fall, you may sustain serious injuries. Falls may occur on stairs, uneven ground, wet floors, or in poorly lit areas. When the owner of the premises fails to ensure reasonable safety, they may be held responsible for injuries sustained in a fall.
- animal attacks — When someone’s pet attacks you and causes an injury, the animal’s owner can often be held legally and financially responsible for your injuries. Although most animal attacks involve dogs, other animals may also cause injuries in some cases.
These are just a few of the incidents that may lead to the filing of a personal injury claim. If you have been injured in an incident not included on this list, you may still be able to file a claim as long as you can show negligence was a contributing factor.
What You Need To Know About Filing A Personal Injury Claim
Not every injured person will qualify to file a personal injury claim in Panama City. In Florida, there are specific laws that apply to personal injury claims, and you must meet the requirements of these laws in order to file a successful lawsuit.
The state of Florida uses a concept known as comparative negligence to assign fault in personal injury cases. Comparative negligence essentially means that the court will determine each party’s percentage of fault for the incident and use these percentages to calculate any settlements. Because Florida utilizes comparative negligence, you can collect benefits even if you are found to be partly at fault for the incident in question.
Following an accident, you should always seek medical care first. However, as soon as you have received the medical services you need, the next step is to contact an attorney. The state of Florida requires all personal injury claims to be filed within a certain amount of time after an accident, so you need to act quickly in order to protect your right to collect damages.
It is also important to keep careful records of your injuries and expenses, as well as all other facts associated with the case. These documents will be invaluable if your case goes to court.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
The amount of compensation you can receive in a personal injury case depends on many different factors unique to your situation.
Some of the factors that will affect your settlement amount include:
- type of accident — The type of accident you experienced will affect the value of your claim. Accidents that were more traumatic tend to bring in higher settlement amounts.
- type of injury — Injuries that are more severe and painful tend to bring higher settlement amounts than injuries that are mild and/or heal quickly.
- effects of the injury — Perhaps the most important factor to consider when estimating the value of your claim is the effects of your injury. Your medical expenses, future estimated medical costs, lost wages, and level of disability will all play a role in determining your settlement amount.
- intent of the responsible party — In cases where you can show evidence of malicious intent or extreme negligence, the compensation you receive may be higher.
Our Featured Case Results
Types Of Damages Awarded For Personal Injury Claims In Panama City
If you file a successful personal injury claim in Panama City, you may be awarded a variety of damages to compensate you for all the effects of your injury.
Some of the damages you may receive include:
- compensation for past medical bills
- compensation for future estimated medical expenses
- payment of lost wages
- damages to cover loss of future earning ability
- compensation for any property damage related to the incident
- benefits to compensate you for pain, suffering, and emotional trauma
- compensation for loss of enjoyment of your life
In cases where the party responsible for the incident was severely negligent and/or displayed signs of malicious intent, you may also receive punitive damages. The purpose of punitive damages is to punish the responsible party and to prevent future incidents involving other victims.
Do I Need To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney To File A Claim?
Filing a personal injury claim is the best way to recover the compensation you deserve after you are injured in an accident. However, to give yourself the best chance of winning the case and receiving an appropriate settlement amount, you need an experienced attorney on your side.
Skilled personal injury attorneys in Panama City can help you collect evidence and prepare a strong case for court. Your attorney will also be by your side to answer your questions and provide support throughout the litigation process.
List Of Personal Injury Attorneys Serving Panama City
Filing a personal injury claim requires careful planning and an excellent legal strategy. For this reason, you need to work with a trustworthy attorney.
At Florin|Roebig, we offer access to a staff of seasoned and dedicated personal injury lawyers, including:
- Shaun M. Cummings
- Luca G. Esposito
- Chad K. Florin, M.B.A., LL.M.
- Nicholas S. Costantino
- Taylor D. Roebig
- Michael A. Ossi, O.C.
- Nollys R. Solarte, O.C.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Find Help With Filing A Personal Injury Claim Today
If you are planning to file a personal injury claim, the experts at Florin|Roebig can help. We have extensive knowledge of personal injury cases of all types, and we can help you maximize your chances of success in court. Please contact Florin|Roebig today to schedule a consultation with our team or to learn more about filing a personal injury claim.