Have you experienced a personal injury because of the negligence of another? You may have a legal right to damages for medical bills, emotional distress, and more.
Filing a personal injury claim in Poinciana helps you recover these damages. The personal injury attorneys at Florin|Roebig are prepared to help you navigate the claim-filing process and win compensation for the losses you’ve suffered.
Car Accidents And Other Incidents That Lead To Personal Injury
When you think of personal injury claims, car accidents may be the first to come to mind. That is understandable given the number of vehicles on the road in Poinciana and the damage those people can cause when they drive unsafely.
But beyond car accidents, other types of personal injuries can also be severe.
Some of the most common types of personal injuries in the area include:
- slips and falls
- defective products
- wrongful death
- medical malpractice
- other location injuries (e.g., an unsecured shelf falls on a shopper in a retail store)
In each of these cases, another party has committed some form of negligence. If an injury or death occurred as a result, filing a personal injury claim in Poinciana holds the negligent party accountable for their actions.
What You Need To Know About Personal Injury Claims
If you are considering filing a personal injury claim in Poinciana, you should first know some important legal terms that influence the success of your claim.
First, what is negligence? Negligence is defined as an action, or inaction, that causes harm to another. It’s only legally considered negligence if it is something an ordinary person in the same circumstances would do, or not do. Part of the job of your personal injury lawyers in Poinciana is to show that negligence occurred. If they can prove that, you probably have a case.
Florida law recognizes comparative negligence. This means that the injured person and the other party both have a portion of negligence in the eyes of the law.
For example, a retail store should take steps to ensure that the shelving is secure. But what if someone were to hang on a shelf to reach something, and the shelf falls on them? The court might say that an ordinary person knows that hanging on a shelf is dangerous, so a portion of the negligence belongs to the injured person.
This is important because if the courts award you money for your injuries, they will deduct a percentage equal to the amount of negligence they determine to be yours. Another vital role of personal injury attorneys is to show that the other party’s negligence far outweighs yours.
Finally, you need to know about the statute of limitations on personal injury cases involving negligence in Florida. You have only four years to file. This may sound like a long time, but know that the other party may use techniques to encourage you to delay filing until your time runs out.
For this reason, after you’ve sought medical care, the best thing you can do next is contact personal injury lawyers in Poinciana.
Types Of Damages Awarded For Personal Injury Claims In Poinciana
In the state of Florida, you can list several types of damages on your claim. It’s essential to consider each one. They may not all be obvious at first, but you deserve compensation when the negligence of another causes you harm.
Damages on a personal injury claim in Poinciana may include, but aren’t limited to past, present, and future damages in these areas of loss:
- medical bills
- therapy bills
- mental health
- emotional distress
- lost wages or job
- inability to return to your career
- pain and suffering
- home assistance services for things you can no longer do because of the injury (e.g., grocery shopping, mowing, cleaning)
- loss of enjoyment (e.g., a regular volunteer loves helping others by building homes for the less fortunate, but they will now use a wheelchair for the rest of their lives, and be less able to do what they love)
- loss of companionship (e.g., a spouse can no longer be intimate after the injury)
- punitive damages
Punitive damages are damages that go beyond what you can justify through your claim. Courts award them when gross negligence has occurred. Usually, they want to make an example of the other party to prevent the same situation from happening to others.
Knowing What Your Claim Is Worth
Personal injury attorneys will be the first to tell you every case is different. Putting a valid number value on a claim early on is not easy.
However, you can begin to assess an approximate worth by considering some factors that influence what a claim is worth, such as:
- the location of your injury (e.g., a scar on the face would generally be considered worse than one on the leg)
- how many injuries you sustained
- the severity of your injury
- how many people were injured or lost their lives
- whether doctors have given a good or bad long-term prognosis
- how long recovery may take, according to doctors
- actual expenses (past, present, future) that would not have existed if not for the accident
- other life factors affected like health, happiness, job, relationships, and more
Our Featured Case Results
Do I Need To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney?
You do not have to hire personal injury attorneys to file a personal injury claim in Poinciana, but it may significantly change the outcome of your claim.
Some benefits of hiring personal injury attorneys include:
- not having to worry about deadlines, paperwork, or interviewing witnesses
- proven expertise to show negligence and justify the damages you are claiming
- helping you understand what your claim is really worth, so you don’t settle for a low payout
- getting the other party to take the appropriate proportion of comparative negligence
- preventing the other party’s defense attorneys from discrediting you and trying to get you to take on more fault than is rightfully yours
- making such a strong case for the other party’s negligence that they prefer to settle
- standing with you if the other party decides to force the claim into a jury trial
List Of Personal Injury Lawyers Serving Poinciana
It is vital to work with personal injury lawyers in Poinciana who have the resources, experience, and track record of substantial wins. The dedicated team or personal injury attorneys at Florin|Roebig has these credentials.
Some of our experienced personal injury lawyers serving clients in Poinciana include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Luca G Esposito
- Nicholas S. Costantino
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Reach Out For Help With Your Personal Injury Claim
Florin|Roebig has over 30 years of experience winning substantial compensation for our clients. We can help you navigate the process from filing a personal injury claim in Poinciana to receiving damages. Please contact us today to schedule a consultation and discuss the details of your case.