Being involved in an accident can be a very scary event. The last thing you want to do when you are trying to recover is file a personal injury claim, though this is the best way to get compensation and pay for costs associated with your injuries.
Hiring the right personal injury lawyer with a successful track record is your best bet to recovering your losses. While there are many lawyers that say they can get you a fair settlement, not many can deliver on their promise.
The legal team at Florin|Roebig has been practicing personal injury law in the Safety Harbor area and has been awarded over $1 billion in settlements for our clients. Our lawyers use a caring approach that provides guidance through the entire process and make sure you are fairly represented.
Car Accidents And Other Incidents That Lead To Personal Injury
Personal injuries can be caused by many different factors. You may be in your car, on a sidewalk, on a boat, inside a restaurant, or in your workplace when the injury occurs. Our legal team has provided legal counsel to residents that have been involved in numerous types of injuries.
The following is a list of personal injuries which can be caused in Safety Harbor and result in a claim:
- auto and motorcycle accidents — such as when someone disregards traffic laws, causing you to get in an accident
- pain and suffering — ongoing physical pain and mental stress after the accident
- slip and falls — a surface recently cleaned but not safe to walk on at a restaurant or shopping center can lead to an injury
- pet-related injuries — dog or another animal bite, animal attack
- pool-related injuries — owner does not provide safe conditions at their pool
- medical malpractice — doctor, nurse, or medical professional does not use proper care during surgery or routine visit
- defective product — a product malfunctions when used properly, resulting in injury
These are just examples of common personal injuries. Even if your injury is different, it may still qualify to file a claim. A personal injury attorney in Safety Harbor can hear what happened and advise you on what steps need to be taken to move forward.
What You Need To Know About Personal Injury Claims
Comparative negligence is what courts look at in determining who is at fault in a personal injury case in Safety Harbor. This type of negligence means that a court determines who is the responsible party. In some instances, both parties might be responsible for an accident. In this case, the court will determine which party is more at fault.
Say you were driving on Main Street in downtown Safety Harbor, obeying all traffic laws, and another car runs a stop sign and hits you. The court will likely rule that the other driver is 100 percent responsible and that you are entitled to 100 percent of damages.
Sometimes you may be partially to blame for an injury you received. In this scenario, the court may say that you are 30 percent responsible for the accident. As a result of this, you may still be entitled to compensation, but 30 percent less. As long as you are less than 50 percent responsible, it is worth filing a personal injury claim.
For the court to award you damages, you must show:
- the responsible party had a legal obligation to keep people safe from dangerous conditions
- the incident directly led to your injuries
- you suffered damages such as financial and emotional, pain and suffering
It is important to file a personal injury claim soon after you were injured. The State of Florida has a statute of limitations for personal injury claims. This means that if you file a claim after the allowable time frame the state requires, you cannot bring about legal action.
Florida law states that you must file your claim within four years of the incident, or within four years of noticing the injury. Medical malpractice claims have a shorter statute of limitations, only two years after the procedure or medical treatment took place.
Reasons People File Personal Injury Claims
Not every personal injury incident is the same. There are different reasons people want to file a personal injury claim in Safety Harbor. The injuries vary between a broken bone or wrongful death and everything in between. Filing a claim is the best way to start living your life again and with the right lawyer, you can get back on your feet much more quickly.
Common reasons to file a personal injury claim in Safety Harbor include:
- ongoing medical costs
- lost salary or wages
- loss of ability to perform household maintenance and enjoy routine activities
- hold the negligent party and insurance companies responsible
Each individual has their own personal reasons for filing a claim. Regardless of what your reason may be, it is your legal right to recover damages from the negligent party.
Types Of Damages Awarded For Personal Injury Claims In Safety Harbor
In Pinellas County where Safety Harbor is located, personal injuries occur on a regular basis. Compensatory damages aim to help a victim financially recover from their injuries. This type of damages is what is written into law by the State of Florida.
Compensatory damages awarded in personal injury claims in Safety Harbor include:
- medical expenses — ambulance and hospital expenses, follow-up doctor visits
- pain and suffering — ongoing physical pain and emotional stress
- loss of quality of life — being unable to enjoy basic activities you could do before the accident
- lost wages — short- or long-term lost income
- wrongful death — dying as a result of gross negligence, such as medical malpractice
- short and long-term disability — you are physically or mentally disabled affecting everything that you do
- loss of consortium — when you are no longer able to care for a loved one, such as a child, spouse, or any other loved one
Your injury may have similar facts as other injuries, but it is still unique and other compensatory damages may be awarded. A skilled personal injury lawyer can help you determine what kind of damages your injury qualifies for.
Knowing What Your Claim Is Worth
No personal injury claim is exactly the same. A slip-and-fall claim may be different if it happened at a restaurant versus a public park. There are different factors that can determine what your claim is worth.
Factors that may affect your compensation in a personal injury claim include:
- type of injury — head, neck or back, broken hip, concussion, dismemberment
- severity of the injury — permanent disability, short-term recovery, wrongful death
- financial losses caused by the injury — high medical expenses, lost salary
- how the injury affects your life — including your relationships and hobbies
Other factors can affect your compensation such as future expenses related to the injury that you will be required to pay after a settlement has been made.
Our Featured Case Results
Do I Need To Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer?
Filing a personal injury claim by yourself can be a daunting task. There is the paperwork involved, filing at the court, and dealing with an uncooperative defendant or insurance company. On top of that, you are trying to recover from an injury. Hiring a personal injury lawyer can take a lot of stress off you and increase the chances of getting a larger settlement.
Advantages of hiring a personal injury lawyer in Safety Harbor include:
- a legal professional that listens to you, understands what happened, and stays on your side throughout the legal claim process
- a personal injury claim aimed to pressure the defendant to pay for your losses
- negotiating with all applicable sides to ensure the negligent party is held accountable
- going to trial if the defendant refuses to pay their fair share
The goal of the responsible party and insurance companies is to devalue a claim and shift blame away from them. A skilled lawyer has experienced these types of situations and knows how to make sure their client’s financial needs are met.
List Of Personal Injury Lawyers In Safety Harbor
The personal injury lawyers at Florin|Roebig have seen nearly every type of personal injury claim. Our lawyers are local to the Safety Harbor area and can go over all of your options.
Some of our personal injury lawyers in Safety Harbor include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Taylor D. Roebig
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Andrew M. Leone
- Lawrence J. Najem
- Parker Y. Florin
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Reach Out For Help With Your Personal Injury Claim
At Florin|Roebig, we not only file a strong personal injury claim, but we also provide 5-star customer service. We take pride in client satisfaction and can help answer all of your questions and go over our process.
Our lawyers have seen many different cases ranging from car accidents to medical malpractice. With over 30 years of experience, Florin|Roebig lawyers have reached thousands of settlements. To begin the process of getting your life back together, call us for a consultation and we will take it from there.