You may suffer a personal injury in a variety of different situations, including slips and falls, car accidents, animal attacks, and more. Regardless of the circumstances, dealing with an injury is never easy.
However, when you know that another party is responsible for your injuries, the situation can be even more difficult and upsetting. Fortunately, under Florida law, you have the right to file a legal claim against the party responsible for your injuries in order to collect compensation.
What To Do After An Accident In St. Augustine
Immediately following an accident in St. Augustine, you may be feeling overwhelmed. However, in order to protect your right to collect compensation, you need to take the right steps in the minutes, days, and weeks after your injury.
For the best results, follow the steps below:
1. Seek Medical Care
The first thing to do when you have been injured is to seek professional medical care. Not only will seeking medical care ensure that you receive the treatment you need as soon as possible, but it will also allow you to document the extent of your injuries, as well as the opinions of respected medical professionals.
If you choose to file a lawsuit later, this documentation will be invaluable. Be sure to keep copies of all your medical records and bills so you will be able to submit them to your attorney later.
2. Contact The Police
The next step is to contact the police and file a report. The police report and any related investigation documentation will be important to the outcome of a personal injury claim filed at a later date.
3. Contact An Attorney
At this point in the process, many people will mistakenly believe that calling the insurance company is the next best step. However, in most cases, you will be able to collect a much greater settlement by filing a personal injury claim.
For this reason, you should always contact an attorney to discuss the possibility of filing a personal injury claim and collecting damages before you make any calls to the insurance company.
Types Of Accidents That Lead To Personal Injury Claims
Almost any type of accident caused by another party’s negligence can result in a personal injury claim. However, certain types of accidents are more likely to lead to personal injury claims than others.
Personal injury claims filed in St. Augustine often involve the following types of accidents:
- Car accidents — More than 400,000 car crashes occurred in the state of Florida during 2017. Many of these crashes resulted in serious injuries and even fatalities. When a car crash is caused by the negligence of a driver, a vehicle manufacturing company, or another party, victims can often file personal injury claims against the responsible party.
- Slips and falls — Falls often occur in unsafe environments, such as on wet floors, uneven ground, stairways with no railings, and other poorly maintained areas. If a fall victim can show that the environment was unsafe because of someone else’s negligence, he or she may be entitled to compensation.
- Animal attacks — Animal attacks can leave you severely injured and even disfigured. In many cases, you can file a claim against the owner of the animal for compensation if you suffer serious injuries in an attack.
These are just a few examples of incidents that can lead to personal injury cases. You may also be able to file a claim for other types of incidents, such as swimming pool accidents. To find out if your injury qualifies for a claim, talk to an experienced personal injury attorney.
How To File A Personal Injury Claim In St. Augustine
If you are interested in filing a personal injury claim in St. Augustine, follow the steps below:
1. Gather Details About The Accident
In order to file a successful personal injury claim, you will need to collect as much documentation as possible to support your claim. Some of the documentation you may need includes police reports, accounts from witnesses, notes from your doctors, copies of your medical records, receipts from payments you made toward medical bills, and any other relevant paperwork.
2. Speak With An Attorney
One of the most important steps to take when you are preparing to file a personal injury claim involves speaking to an attorney about your claim. Consulting an attorney gives you a chance to get answers to all of your questions.
Some of the issues you should explore when talking to an attorney include:
- the strength of your personal injury claim
- the identity of the defendant
- whether you could file a claim against multiple defendants
- the types of damages you may be able to receive
- the amount of compensation you can expect to receive
- the fees you will need to pay the attorney
3. File Your Personal Injury Claim
Once you have all the information you need and have decided to move forward with the process, it is time to file your personal injury claim with the help of your attorney. Your attorney will guide you through the process to ensure you have met all requirements under Florida law and that you have the best possible chance of winning the case.
List Of Damages Awarded In Personal Injury Claims
If your claim is successful, you may receive a variety of different types of damages, depending on the specifics of your claim.
Some of the damages you may receive for a personal injury include:
- compensation for past and future medical expenses
- compensation for lost wages
- damages for loss of earning ability
- damages for pain and suffering you have experienced, and/or impacts on your quality of life
- punitive damages, which are designed to punish the defendant
Knowing What Your Claim Is Worth
A variety of factors can affect the amount of compensation you receive when you file a personal injury claim.
Some of the factors that may impact your settlement amount include:
- the type of accident
- the severity of your injuries
- the costs of your medical bills
- your ability to earn a living after your injuries
- other aspects of your life affected by your injury
A qualified personal injury attorney can help you understand how much your specific claim may be worth based on these factors and detailed reports from the incident.
Our Featured Case Results
Do I Need To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney For My Claim?
It is possible to file a personal injury claim on your own, but it is never recommended. The state of Florida has specific requirements for claimants filing personal injury lawsuits.
Without an experienced attorney representing you, you won’t have the best chance of winning the case or bringing home the maximum amount of compensation. Having the right attorney on your side also provides you with peace of mind, as you will have an advocate and legal support system available at all times.
List Of Personal Injury Attorneys In St. Augustine
If you are filing a personal injury claim, you need an experienced, dedicated attorney who has a reputation for success.
The legal team at Florin|Roebig includes some of the best personal injury lawyers in this practice area who serve St. Augustine, including:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig. B.C.S.
- Michael L. Walker, B.C.S.
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Neil P. O’Brien, M.B.A.
- Shaun M. Cummings
- Michael A. Ossi, O.C.
- Lawrence J. Najem, O.C.
- Andrew M. Leone, O.C.
- Nollys R. Solarte, O.C.
- Brian R. Dettman, O.C.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Find A Personal Injury Attorney Today
If you are interested in filing a personal injury claim, the team at Florin|Roebig can help. We have experience with all types of personal injury claims and we can help residents in St. Augustine, as well as throughout Florida, recover their losses following an accident. Please contact us today to schedule a consultation.