If you were involved in an accident and received an injury because another person was negligent, you may be legally entitled to receive a settlement to cover the damages you have incurred.
To receive compensation, you will need to file a personal injury claim against the person or party that is responsible. Filing a claim may be an overwhelming task to do on your own. Hiring an accident attorney in Tarpon Springs will help alleviate the financial and emotional toll of recovering from your injuries.
The personal injury law firm of Florin|Roebig are local to the Tarpon Springs area and have been filing personal injury claims for over 30 years. Our personal injury lawyers can provide guidance through the entire claims process and ensure your claim is strongly defended.
Accidents That Lead To Personal Injury in Tarpon Springs, Florida
Personal injuries can be caused by many different factors. You may be in your car, on a sidewalk, on a boat, inside a restaurant, or in your workplace when the injury occurs. Our legal team has provided legal representation to accident victims that have experienced all types of injuries.
The following is a list of personal injuries which can occur in Tarpon Springs and result in a claim:
- motor vehicle accidents
- motorcycle accidents
- truck accidents
- slip and fall accidents
- wrongful death
- dog bites and other pet-related injuries
- pool-related injuries
- traumatic brain injuries
- medical malpractice
- harm from defective products
- nursing home abuse
These are just common personal injuries and are not the only injuries that qualify to file a legal claim. A personal injury lawyer can help you determine the cost of your injury and help file a claim to recover from your losses. Whether your injury is a minor slip or fall or serious medical malpractice, you deserve to be compensated for your losses.
What To Know About Personal Injury Claims
In the State of Florida, personal injury law looks at the concept of comparative negligence. This means that the court reserves the right to award you damages even if you were partially at fault.
For example, if you were involved in an auto accident and the court determined the other party was 100 percent at fault, then you would likely receive 100 percent of damages. On the other hand, if the court determined the other party was 70 percent at fault and you are 30 percent at fault, then you can still likely receive damages, just 30 percent less.
For the court to award you damages for your personal injury claim, you must show:
- the incident led to your injuries
- the party at fault had a reasonable duty to keep others safe including following all applicable laws
- you suffered financial, physical, and emotional stress from the accident
It is important to file a personal injury claim as soon as you possibly can. This is because you will remember the most details right after the accident, your medical expenses may be coming in, and there is a statute of limitations. A statute of limitations means that you have a limited amount of time before you can no longer file a legal claim.
You must file your claim within four years of the accident, or within four years of noticing the injury that resulted from the accident. For medical malpractice cases, the statute of limitations in Florida is only two years.
Reasons People File Personal Injury Claims
There are several different reasons people may want to file a personal injury claim in Tarpon Springs. Even if the incident was small, such as a fall at a restaurant, you can still suffer injuries that result in medical bills and other damages.
By filing a claim, you are taking the first step to getting your life back to normal. With the right personal injury lawyer, filing a claim has never been easier.
Common reasons to file a personal injury claim in Tarpon Springs include:
- medical costs — EMS costs, hospital visits including overnight, physical therapy, prescriptions
- loss of quality of life — regular activities such as household work, hobbies, caring for a loved one, inability to drive
- lost current and future wages — to recover money from being unable to work at your job
- hold the negligent party responsible — holding the wrongdoer responsible may prevent that person and others from repeating the same mistake and causing injury
- holding insurance companies accountable — making sure an insurance company isn’t trying to get out of paying for your damages
Remember that these are just common reasons to file a personal injury claim. Each individual has their own personal reasons and those are important to share with your attorney to see if that can increase your settlement.
Types Of Damages Awarded For Personal Injury Claims In Tarpon Springs
Personal injury claims filed in Pinellas County, where Tarpon Springs is located, may be awarded a diverse range of damages. In Florida, you can be awarded compensatory damages for your injuries. The goal of these damages is to compensate the victim for their losses in relation to their injury.
Some examples of compensatory damages awarded in personal injury claims in Tarpon Springs include:
- medical expenses
- pain and suffering
- loss of quality of life
- lost wages, including current and future wages
- wrongful death
- head, neck, or back injuries leading to disability
- loss of ability to care for a loved one (loss of consortium)
Other compensatory damages may be awarded based on the nature of your injury. Speaking to a personal injury lawyer can inform you of your legal rights and help you determine which types of injuries lead to compensation.
Knowing What Your Claim Is Worth
Every personal injury claim has a different set of facts and addresses different types of parties, whether its an individual, a business, or an insurance company.
Factors that may affect your compensation in a personal injury claim include:
- type of injury — brain injury, broken hip, broken bones, short-term or permanent disability, dismemberment
- severity of the injury — whether surgery or physical therapy is needed, if the injury led to wrongful death
- costs resulting from the injury — ongoing medical expenses, financial losses
- how the injury affects your life — including your job and relationships
Depending on what and who caused your injury, other factors may affect your compensation.
Our Featured Case Results
Benefits Of Hiring A Personal Injury Lawyer
You can choose to file a personal injury claim on your own but you may not be aware of all the paperwork, negotiating, and other burdens that come along with it. Hiring a personal injury lawyer can ease that burden and allow you to focus on recovering from your injuries. Hiring a reputable personal injury lawyer is the best approach to recovering damages through a settlement.
Advantages of hiring a personal injury lawyer include:
- an accessible, caring legal professional who will understand your case and make your voice heard
- guidance throughout the legal claim process
- a strong personal injury claim designed to get you a settlement to cover your losses
- negotiating with the negligent party’s legal counsel and insurance companies
- going to trial to defend your claim
The responsible party and insurance companies may want to pay as little as possible and may attempt to devalue your claim. A skilled lawyer can ensure that your claim will be heard and increase your chances of a higher settlement.
Personal Injury Lawyers Serving Tarpon Springs, Florida
The legal team at Florin|Roebig specializes in personal injury cases and have over 30 years of experience. Our lawyers are local to Pinellas County and want to hear your case and go over your options.
Some of our Tarpon Springs personal injury attorneys include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Parker Y. Florin
- Nollys R. Solarte, O.C.
- Chad K. Florin
- Lawrence J. Najem
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Reach Out For Help With Your Personal Injury Claim
Let the experts at the law firm of Florin|Roebig hear your case and help you file a personal injury claim in Tarpon Springs. Our team can help answer all of your questions and go over the legal process with you.
Our lawyers have seen many different cases, ranging from a dog bite to wrongful death. Winning over $1 billion total in settlements for clients, Florin|Roebig lawyers know the law and who is responsible to pay. Call us for a confidential free consultation today for legal advice and to begin the process of filing a claim.