Those who experience a personal injury suddenly find themselves faced with overwhelming pain and loss. To make matters worse, the longer recovery takes, the more the bills pile up. It may leave you feeling hopeless.
Filing a personal injury claim in The Hammocks is one of the first steps you’ll take to obtaining damages for what you’ve lost. The personal injury attorneys at Florin|Roebig serve clients throughout Florida and can assist you throughout the claim-filing process.
Car Accidents And Other Incidents That Lead To Personal Injury
Vehicles are large and can do a lot of damage, so car accidents lead to a number of personal injuries every year. In 2017, 314 people lost their lives in car accidents in Miami-Dade County, where The Hammocks is located. Many more were left with life-altering injuries.
Some of the most common causes of car accidents in The Hammocks include:
- not following road rules
- distracted driving
- not properly maintaining a car (e.g., bad brakes, tail light out, etc.)
But beyond car accidents, there are many other common causes of personal injury, including:
- medical malpractice
- slips and falls
- dangerous products
- wrongful death
- workplace incidents
- getting hurt on someone’s property
What You Need To Know About Personal Injury Claims
Filing a personal injury claim in The Hammocks may seem like a simple process. But it’s vital that you have a few basic legal concepts clear before you file.
You need to know the answer to these questions:
- What is negligence?
- What is comparative negligence?
- What is the statute of limitations for negligence in Florida?
Negligence is one of two things. It’s an act that leads to the injury of another when an ordinary person in the same situation would know that action could cause harm. Or, it’s a failure to act to prevent damage when an average person with a responsibility to prevent your injury would have taken that action.
Comparative negligence (see also, comparative fault) means that the courts see neglect as a two-way street. Legally, both the injured person and the other party may have had a portion of the negligence.
In these cases, percentages are assigned to both sides. The higher your percentage, the less the other party has to pay, even if injuries are severe. It’s essential that you not do anything that might help the other party’s lawyers shift the blame onto you. If they can shift your percentage over 50 percent, you could even end up paying the other party instead of getting paid.
One of the critical roles of personal injury lawyers in The Hammocks is to prevent this from happening and ensure the blame stays on the truly negligent party.
In Florida, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is four years. Many people who suffer a personal injury hear this and think they have quite a bit of time. But the other party may use tactics to delay you. After you’ve received medical care, the first thing to do is reach out to personal injury attorneys to discuss the details of your claim.
Types Of Damages Awarded For Personal Injury Claims In The Hammocks
If someone else’s negligence has caused you harm, you have a right to be made whole financially, even if you expect life-long complications from the event.
Beyond medical bills, Florida courts recognize many other types of damages, such as:
- therapy bills
- pain and suffering
- emotional distress
- mental health bills
- job loss
- lost wages
- inability to return to the career in which you are trained/educated
- home services when you can no longer perform home tasks because of the injury, temporarily or permanently (e.g., groceries, driving, cooking)
- loss of enjoyment (e.g., a person who goes dancing regularly can no longer dance)
- loss of companionship (e.g., someone loses their life, leaving behind a spouse, children, or others who
- depend on them for friendship and support)
- punitive damages
Punitive damages punish the other party. They go above and beyond what the personal injury claim otherwise calls for. These kinds of damages are intended to bring about change and prevent future incidents.
Knowing What Your Claim Is Worth
Before you file a personal injury claim in The Hammocks, it’s critical to have a general understanding of the value of your claim. This may impact the legal strategies used in your case.
Some of these factors that contribute to the value of a claim include:
- types of injuries
- where injuries occurred on the body
- number of injuries
- how those injuries impact your ability to return to a normal life
- length of recovery
- the prognosis (e.i., Do doctors expect a full recovery?)
- impact on your finances now and in the future
- impact throughout your life
Our Featured Case Results
Do I Need To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney?
The short answer is “no”. You could file a personal injury claim in The Hammocks without contacting personal injury attorneys. That is your right.
However, there are several compelling reasons to hire a lawyer:
- no upfront fees since personal injury lawyers usually get paid only if they win your case
- paperwork and deadlines handled by personal injury attorneys and their staff
- increased likelihood of a more favorable outcome since they know the laws, system, and strategies used by the defense
- a chance of settling out of court if you prefer to avoid a trial
- proven trial experience at your side if you need to go to trial
List Of Personal Injury Lawyers Serving The Hammocks
Before you file a personal injury claim in The Hammocks, it is a smart idea to contact an attorney. If you do, whichever legal team you choose should have the experience and resources you need to win your case. They should also have a track record of winning fair awards for their clients.
The personal injury attorneys at Florin|Roebig are this kind of team. They serve clients all over the U.S. and are ready to help you navigate the complex world of personal injury law.
Our personal injury lawyers serving clients in The Hammocks include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Chad K. Florin, M.B.A., LL.M.
- Nicholas S. Costantino
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Reach Out For Help With Your Personal Injury Claim
If you’ve been injured because of negligence, you have the right to pursue compensation. But exercising this right can be a challenge, especially when you are up against the experienced lawyers on the other side. Don’t try to do this alone.
The team at Florin|Roebig has over 30 years of personal injury trial experience and a history of big wins for our clients. Please contact our office to schedule a consultation to go over your claim.