When you’re injured in an accident, you’re likely left with many questions about your rights and options. While the extent of injuries and suffering varies significantly from one accident to the next, many injured parties are due compensation, and personal injury claims help them recover that.
Personal injuries can be something simple like serious bruising or something life-altering like a traumatic brain injury. Regardless of the type of injury, navigating the personal injury claims process can be confusing. A West Palm Beach personal injury attorney can help guide individuals through the complex process of personal injury claims to increase their chances of receiving fair compensation for their injuries.
Florin|Roebig offers an experienced team of personal injury lawyers who service many areas throughout Florida, including West Palm Beach. For those who have been injured, these attorneys provide legal help to assist in recovering losses and moving on after a serious injury.
Understanding Personal Injury Claims In West Palm Beach
Under Florida law, personal injuries are considered injuries from an accident that was due to negligence. To prove negligence, injured parties must prove that the at-fault party had a duty they failed to meet, that the duty was related to the injury, and the injury was a direct result of that failure.
Florida operates under a pure comparative negligence standard. This means the injured party can also have some negligence in the injury, and the overall recovery amount is limited based on that level of negligence.
For example, in a car accident in which the injured driver was 20 percent negligent, and the at-fault driver was 80 percent negligent, the amount of recovery is reduced by 20 percent to cover the comparative negligence of the injured party.
Florida has a statute of limitations in place for most personal injury claims. This statute requires claims to start within four years of the accident. As soon as possible after the incident, injured parties need to first seek proper medical care, then speak to an attorney to start the claims process before time runs out.
Why Do People File Personal Injury Claims?
Often the first reason someone files a personal injury claim in West Palm Beach is to seek recovery and receive damages for their physical and emotional injuries. The money is used to help pay medical bills, cover the cost of future care and therapy, and account for the overall emotional suffering that a serious injury causes.
After an accident, they may also suffer job loss and emotional pain and suffering. Personal injury claims can provide compensation for these losses as well. In addition, many people choose to file a personal injury claim to hold the other party accountable for their actions or negligence. This can help ensure that the action or negligence does not occur again in the future and harm another person.
List Of Accidents That Lead To Personal Injury Claims In West Palm Beach
In 2018, the state of Florida had a total of 166,881 car accidents that resulted in injuries and 6,575 bicycle crashes with injuries. In West Palm Beach, the first six months of 2019 brought t 625 vehicle crashes with injuries. Many of these led to personal injury claims.
Though they are one of the most common types of personal injury claims, vehicle accidents are just one example of a personal injury claim.
Other types of accidents that lead to personal injury claims in West Palm Beach include:
- slip-and-fall accidents
- dog bites
- assault and battery
- medical malpractice
- product liability
- wrongful death
- premises liability
- work accidents and incidents
Knowing What Your Claim Is Worth
Many factors affect the value of a West Palm Beach personal injury claim. The type of injury and the extent of negligence are some of those factors.
Other factors include:
- medical bills – Most personal injury claims include damages to pay medical bills related to the injury. The extent of medical bills will determine the value of the claim.
- ongoing care or therapies – If the injury left the injured party unable to care for themselves or needing lifetime therapy or assistance, that cost will be part of the damages awarded.
- pain and suffering – This area is more difficult to estimate, because the monetary value of a person’s pain and suffering is difficult to place a value on.
- property damage – Damage to property is sometimes considered in the overall claim award in a West Palm Beach personal injury case.
- loss of job – If the injuries left the individual out of work, their current and future wages are calculated into the overall award.
- loss of relationships – If the injuries or death caused someone to lose a relationship, this can be a factor that impacts the overall value of the award.
A personal injury attorney will be able to help victims consider all of these aspects to determine the overall value of their claim.
Our Featured Case Results
What Types Of Damages Are Awarded For Personal Injury Claims?
Damages in personal injury cases in West Palm Beach fall into three main categories.
- Compensatory Damages – These compensate the injured person for the losses they experience. Job loss, medical bills, cost of the ambulance ride, property damage, and even attorney’s fees can be part of this category.
- General Damages – General damages are harder to calculate because they do not have a clearly defined value. Examples include pain and suffering, overall mental or emotional distress, loss of enjoyment of life, or loss of relationships, also known as consortium.
- Punitive Damages – Punitive damages are financial punishments for the other party’s misconduct or negligence. Pursuing punitive damages in personal injury cases is often difficult, because accidents are rarely malicious in intent. If an attorney is successful in adding these, Florida caps the amount that can be added to any one claim.
Reasons To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney For Your Claim
After an accident, victims face many decisions. They must decide the best medical care, whether to seek damages, and how to go about seeking those damages in a timely manner. Working with a personal injury attorney is invaluable during these challenging days.
Some of the benefits of hiring a personal injury attorney include:
- improved overall outcome for the case
- ability to file a claim before the statute of limitations runs out
- knowledge and experience of a legal professional to navigate the complex process
- higher potential compensation for the injuries
- help for injured parties in considering all costs of their injuries
- better ability to explore the details of the case
- timely answers to questions that come up along the way
- improved explanations of the personal injury claims process
Working with an attorney helps injured parties pursue their claims well, so they can recover fair damages, receive the right education and guidance through the process, avoid costly mistakes, and get back to rebuilding their lives after an accident.
List Of Personal Injury Attorneys Serving West Palm Beach
The right personal injury lawyer can mean the difference between a successful claim and a failed one. Florin|Roebig has a team of distinguished personal injury attorneys serving West Palm Beach and other areas throughout Florida.
Contact our team for help with a personal injury case:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig. B.C.S..
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Neil P. O’Brien, M.B.A.
- Shaun M. Cummings
- Luca G. Esposito
- Chad K. Florin, M.B.A., LL.M.
- Nicholas S. Costantino
- Parker Y. Florin, LL.M.
- Taylor D. Roebig
- Michael A. Ossi, O.C.
- Lawrence J. Najem, O.C.
- Andrew M. Leone, O.C.
- Nollys R. Solarte, O.C.
- Brian R. Dettman, O.C.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Find Help For A Personal Injury Claim In West Palm Beach
If you have been injured in an accident, time is of the essence. Partnering with an experienced legal team is critical to ensure full and just compensation for injuries.
Personal injury claims are lengthy and involved, and the right legal advisement will help you get a fair recovery. The legal team at Florin|Roebig is ready to help. Contact us today for a consultation to discuss your claim with a skilled team of personal injury lawyers.