As Memorial Day weekend kicks off the unofficial start to summer, it’s likely you already have plans for visits or outdoor fun with family and friends. While group activities are a great way to celebrate the upcoming holiday, they can pose a high risk for distraction and resulting injury if caution is not exercised. The number of home and transportation accidents are known to spike around Memorial Day. Here are some easy ways you can avoid common risks this weekend:
- Resist the temptation to use your phone while driving; have a passenger handle GPS navigation and phone calls
- Do not tailgate; maintain a 2-3 second interval between vehicles
- Be aware of the speed limit at all times and watch out for motorcyclists
- Keep children and pets away from the stove and grill area
- Never leave a grill unattended
- The grill should be placed well away from any buildings, railings, overhanging branches, or anything else that could catch fire
- Always have at least one adult watching children when they are in the water, never leave them unattended
- In swimming pools, teach kids to avoid drains or suction outlets
- At the beach, swim near a lifeguard; watch out for rip currents and nearby swimmers
More swimming pool safety tips here.
For more information on what causes car accidents and how to avoid them, visit our post here.
Bikers, here are some ways to ride safely this weekend.