If you’ve been injured in a rideshare accident, filing a rideshare accident claim in Louisiana may help you recover damages. Damages may be financial, physical, emotional, and more.
You’re entitled under the law to be made whole if someone’s negligence contributed to your injury. But navigating the world of personal injury claims in Louisiana is not for the faint of heart.
This accident may haunt you for the rest of your life. A rideshare accident attorney can help you win the compensation that makes you as whole as possible so you can get back to living life. The rideshare accident lawyers at Florin|Roebig are prepared to walk you through the filing process and support your claim.
Causes Of Rideshare Accidents In Louisiana
Rideshare drivers are not usually full-time, professional drivers. They do not have the training or experience that professional drivers do. Many states, including Louisiana, don’t require a special certification for rideshare drivers. Because of this, rideshare drivers may pose additional risks to both their passengers and other drivers.
Some common causes of rideshare accidents include:
- running traffic lights
- inadequate driver screening by Uber or Lyft
- distracted driving
- road rage, which is increased because rideshare drivers don’t get paid for the extra time if they have to sit behind a slow or inconsiderate person
- exhausted drivers trying to work too many hours to make driving worth their while
- lack of adequate vehicle maintenance
In fact, an MIT study found that when Uber/Lyft come to town, vehicle death rates go up by three percent. While this doesn’t prove cause and effect, similar studies around the country have shown a similar outcome.
Got hit Dec 10 2019. By a man who claimed he didn't see me. Called florin Roebig.P.A. They are helping me so much with my injuries and my suit I recommend them for First Call
Understanding Rideshare Accident Claims
After an accident, the first thing to do is to determine if anyone needs emergency medical care and get the vehicle off the road if no one is injured. Many people believe they should call the police or insurance next, but the best thing you can do is call rideshare accident lawyers first. They can help you understand if you have a case and guide you through what to say or not say after the accident.
Insurance companies must make a profit to stay in business. Often this means very narrowly defining their obligation to you when you file a claim. If you say anything that takes them off the hook for that claim, they will jump on it and deny all or part of the claim.
Why File A Rideshare Accident Claim?
When you think about filing a personal injury claim, you may think about paying for medical bills. People file rideshare accident claims in Louisiana for many reasons. Considering why you are filing is essential for developing the right Uber or Lyft accident claim strategy.
You may be motivated to file a rideshare accident claim in order to:
- punish a business for unsafe hiring practices, even if Uber and Lyft drivers are technically contractors
- improve these services for future users by demanding safer practices
- prevent injury, loss, and death in the future by getting an unsafe driver(s) off the road
- hold a negligent party accountable
- seek damages
Damages Awarded For Rideshare Accident Claims
You can file a rideshare accident claim in Louisiana for damages beyond medical bills. It’s necessary to consider every possible type of injury you’ve experienced as a result of the accident to determine adequate compensation.
Damages might include:
- medical bills, both current and those expected in future
- physical therapy bills
- mental health bills related to trauma
- pain and suffering
- loss of companionship (e.g., your life partner died or lost function in the accident)
- loss of enjoyment (e.g., you hit the slopes every year with your friends, but after this accident, you’ll likely never ski again)
- punitive damages (e.g., the courts decide the other party’s negligent act was so egregious that they need to make an example of them. They do so by awarding an amount above what you and your rideshare accident lawyers requested when filing your claim..)
It takes experienced rideshare accident attorneys in Louisiana to convince a jury to award punitive damages. They can clearly explain all that you’ve lost because of the negligence of another. It’s not easy for the average person to put into words or back up their claims with enough facts to influence a jury in this way without the help of an attorney.
How Much Is Your Claim Worth?
Your claim may be worth a fair amount.
Claim worth hinges on several factors, like:
- type of injury and whether you can fully recover
- how severe that injury is and how long it will take to recover
- the cost of recovery
- the various areas of your life impacted by the accident (e.g., current job, career, relationships, physical appearance, etc.)
It doesn’t matter how much your damages actually are if you can’t make a case for your claim. Rideshare accident attorneys in Louisiana understand the Louisiana legal system and how to make the case to maximize the value of your claim.
Our Featured Case Results
Reasons To Hire A Rideshare Accident Attorney
Do you have to hire a rideshare accident lawyer? No, you don’t have to, but there are many important reasons you should strongly consider it.
Rideshare accident attorneys:
- ease the filing process and ensure you’re filing correctly
- ensure you meet unforgiving deadlines so your claim doesn’t get rejected on a technicality
- help you understand the true value of your claim, which may not be initially obvious
- stand with you against rideshare accident lawyers brought in by the other party(ies). In some cases, these may be corporate law firms for Lyft or Uber, not a run-of-the-mill trial lawyer.
- establish the negligence of the other party(s) in relation to your own, when applicable. This matters because claim value may be reduced if they determine that you were partially negligent in Louisiana.
- keep your claim out of court. The best outcome is often a settlement out of court that prevents a jury trial. To do this, rideshare accident lawyers need to show that going to trial would be a worse fate for the defendant.
- guide you through the jury trial process. If it comes to this, you need a lawyer who understands protocol, procedure, and how to influence a jury.
Rideshare Accident Rates In Louisiana
In June of 2019, Governor Edwards signed the bill to bring Uber and Lyft into central Louisiana. It’s still too early to identify rideshare accident rates or trends.
But what is known is this:
- When rideshare companies move into an area, citations and accidents go up sharply.
- Vehicle-related fatalities continue to rise year over year in the state.
- Serious injury rates including pedestrian injuries in the state are on their way down thanks to state initiatives and safer driving practices.
- At least one independent study showed ridesharing might reduce drunk driving incidents by 25 to 35 percent.
List Of Rideshare Accident Attorneys
When looking for rideshare accident attorneys, experience matters. You need a team of lawyers with both the resources and track record of successfully winning for their clients.
The lawyers at Florin|Roebig are your rideshare accident attorneys serving Louisiana.
Our legal team helps clients throughout the U.S. and includes the following attorneys, as well as many others:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig. B.C.S.
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Michael A. Ossi, O.C.
- Lawrence J. Najem, O.C.
- Andrew M. Leone, O.C.
- Nollys R. Solarte, O.C.
- Brian R. Dettman, O.C.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Find Help With Filing Your Rideshare Accident Claim
Florin|Roebig has over 30 years of multi-state trial and litigation experience, achieving landmark victories for their clients. We have the human and financial resources to help you win the damages you deserve. If you’ve been injured in a rideshare accident, contact us for a consultation.