Car accident injuries can lead to pain and suffering and can impact many aspects of your life. An auto accident can lead to mounting bills as well as endless frustration and uncertainty about the future. Fortunately, the Tampa car accident lawyers at Florin|Roebig can help you file a claim to get your life back on track.
Common Causes Tampa Auto Accidents
Automobile accidents in Tampa have many causes and often occur because someone was acting in a negligent way.
While many Florida cities face vehicle accidents, Tampa faces a higher than average number of auto accidents. The presence of attractions like Busch Gardens, Adventure Island, and the Zoo bring thousands of tourists each year. Any time a large percentage of drivers are unfamiliar with getting around a city, traffic accidents may increase.
Between tourists and the local population, some of the most common types of motor vehicle accidents in the Tampa area are caused by:
- using GPS to get around
- distracted driving (texting)
- drunk driving
- reckless driving
- failure to yield the right of way
- non-adherence to posted speed limits
- ignoring or misusing traffic stops
- not adjusting speed to accommodate road conditions (e.g., night, rain, slick surfaces)
- improper car maintenance (e.g., windshield wipers, steering wheel fluid, brakes, headlights, brake lights, etc.)
- driving with unsecured pets
When a serious injury occurs because of these or other negligent acts or omissions, the injured person may have grounds for a car accident claim in Tampa.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can cause a wide variety of injuries ranging from a few bumps and bruises to paralysis or loss of limb. Depending on the type and severity of injury, your personal injury case settlement offer could be lower or higher.
Here are some of the most common auto accident injuries:
- traumatic brain injury
- scrapes and cuts
- head injury
- neck injury
- loss of limb
- broken bones
- injury from airbag deployment
While these can be very serious injuries, even more serious is death that occurs as a result of the car accident. If a loved one has been killed in an accident due to an at-fault driver, a wrongful death attorney may be able to provide legal advice and help you seek compensation from the party at-fault.
What To Do Following An Auto Accident
The scene of a car accident can be very confusing and chaotic, especially for motorists that are inexperienced or have never been in an auto accident before.
Here are 6 steps you should take following a motor vehicle accident in Florida:
- if the accident scene is unsafe, try to move your vehicle to the shoulder of the road or into a nearby parking lot
- call 911 so they can document the scene and file a police report
- check for injuries and seek medical attention if needed (often times getting checked by a medical professional is a good idea as some injuries, like whip-lash caused by rear-end collisions, may not present themselves right away)
- exchange information such as the other driver’s name, phone number, and insurance policy information (if there are witnesses be sure to get their contact information as well, they could provide valuable information to strengthen your personal injury case)
- check your insurance policy to see what is covered in an auto accident and if you have personal injury protection or PIP
- consider seeking legal advice and legal representation to determine if you are eligible to file an auto accident claim (The experienced car accident lawyers at Florin|Roebig offer a free case evaluation to see if it is in your best interest to pursue a car accident claim)
Following these steps can help ensure that you are prepared and have the best chance of winning your personal injury case.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
Car accident victims who sustain serious injuries in auto accidents are concerned not only about medical care, but about their medical bills. Filing a car accident claim in Tampa, Florida can help you seek compensation to pay these medical bills and much more. Whether you are seeking restitution for medical expenses, pain and suffering caused by the accident, or wrongful death, your reasoning for filing an auto accident claim may impact the strategies your auto accident attorneys use in your case.
Some of the most common reasons to pursue a car accident case may include:
- holding the negligent party responsible
- saving someone else from the pain and suffering of this kind of event
- paying your medical bills and other related costs
- replacing any personal property that was damaged in the accident
- getting the word out about the dangers of certain reckless driving behaviors
- making sure insurance companies pay out appropriately for your insurance claim
- prompting new safety requirements or industry changes
- punitive damages
Punitive damages are compensations that a court may award when the negligent party was grossly negligent. This type of damage is intended to punish a party (usually a company). The hope is that this punishment will lead to changes within that company that reduce the chances of this happening to others.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
Many factors may impact your case, so it’s vital to understand the full scope of filing a car accident claim in Tampa. One of the essential roles of car accident attorneys is to help consider the unique factors that may influence a jury’s decision or the other party’s desire to settle.
Some of these influencing factors may include:
- the severity of your injuries or loss
- lost wages due to unexpected time off work
- the ramifications of the injury or wrongful death through your finances, personal life, and general quality of life
- if personal injury and property damage occurred
In Florida law, comparative negligence is the foundational principle on which claims are considered. This means that the law understands that both parties did (or failed to do) something that qualifies as negligence. But one is usually more negligent. The courts will consider the percentage of negligence that belongs to each party to identify what proper compensation looks like.
Another major factor to consider is the statute of limitations. You have up to four years in Florida to start a personal injury claim. However, if you delay, the passage of time may unintentionally destroy more evidence.
For this reason, filing your car accident claim in Tampa as soon as you have a good understanding of the damage that has been done is generally advantageous. Contacting an experienced car accident attorney in Tampa immediately after the auto accident is advisable, so you do not miss this critical window.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
Car accident attorneys in Tampa can help you understand what your claim is worth, so you don’t feel short-changed by insurance companies and their settlement offers, the courts, or another related party after the fact.
Each case is unique, but several aspects influence the value of an accident claim, such as:
- type and severity of the injury
- expected length of recovery and whether you may fully recover
- your financial situations before and after the accident
- loss of life or property damage
- potential long-term complications and how they impact the quality of life
- how the injury affects every aspect of your life
You and your attorney will consider these as you document various damages for your car accident claim.
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
Your car accident lawyers help you understand what you’ve lost and how they can be categorized under various kinds of damages, some of which are as follows:
- pain and suffering, which is hard to quantify but very real and often traumatizing
- cost of medical treatment
- bills for mental health professionals, physical therapy, speech therapy, etc.
- lost wages
- costs for things you would normally do yourself but cannot temporarily or permanently because of the accident (e.g., basic chores, cooking, bathing)
- loss of enjoyment (e.g., an avid jet skier can no longer engage in the hobby they love)
- loss of companionship (e.g., the deceased was a spouse or life partner)
Car Crash (Auto Accident) Rates In Tampa, Florida
In 2018, the most recent year for which accurate data is available, Tampa and Hillsborough County reported:
- over 29,000 car accidents
- 20,114 injuries from those accidents
- 176 car accident-related fatalities
- 11 bike fatalities
- 31 motorcycle fatalities
- 52 pedestrian deaths
- 1,617 people injured by hit-and-run drivers
List Of Tampa Car Accident Attorneys
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, working with the experienced, dedicated, successful car accident attorneys at the law firm of Florin|Roebig can make a difference when filing your personal injury claim to seek compensation.
The other party’s car accident attorneys will attempt to diminish what you have been through in the eyes of their client and the courts. Their goal is to defend the negligent party’s actions to reduce the amount they (or their insurance) must payout.
That potentially hurts you and your loved ones impacted by this loss. Your car accident attorney can help you understand the value of your injury claim and make a case for fair compensation.
Ultimately, you would probably prefer not to have to testify in a trial. Experienced trial lawyers know how to make an injury claim, property damage claim, wrongful death claim, or any personal injury claim compelling enough that many would prefer to settle out of court. If the other party does push for a trial, your car accident attorneys are there to guide and support you through this trying experience.
The legal team at Florin|Roebig is located in Florida but helps clients all over the U.S. Not only do they have years of experience, but they have a track record of winning just settlements for their clients.
Their car accident attorneys in Tampa Bay include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Josh T. Walker
- Jordan A. Kolinski
- Matthew L. McMullen (M.N.)
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
Florin|Roebig is prepared to put its 30 plus years of car accident trial experience to work for you. They have the resources and the track record you need to get paid for the hardship you and your loved ones have experienced because of someone else’s negligence.
Please don’t delay in speaking with us to find out the strength of your claim and those next important steps. Contact us for a free consultation today.