Car accidents happen every day in St. Petersburg, but when injuries or death occur, many individuals and families are left wondering how they will pay the bills. During this time of uncertainty, the personal injury lawyers at Florin|Roebig can assess your car accident claim and help you get compensated for your loss.
Common Causes Of St. Petersburg Car Accidents
In 2018, car accident deaths in Florida increased nearly 60 percent from the year before, representing a record high. Many more auto accident victims have been left injured.
Car accidents have many causes, including:
- driving while intoxicated
- distracted driving
- road rage
- not yielding the right of way
- failing to stop at traffic stops
- not slowing down in bad weather
- reckless driving
- unsafely driving at night
- improper car maintenance (e.g., failing to maintain steering wheel fluid, brakes, windshield wipers, brake lights, headlights, etc.)
- improperly securing an animal in the vehicle
Any of these causes, and more, could represent negligence on the part of the other driver. You may have a personal injury case. By contacting a St. Petersburg car accident attorney for a free case evaluation, you can discuss your situation and receive legal counsel to help you better understand your rights.
They are absolutely amazing and Jessica is absolutely amazing they got me the full amount from my car accident got me the medical bills reduced so I didn't have to pay as much and I still had some money left over they worked very hard on my case and tirelessly because the insurance company was not exactly cooperative
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
Many people think of medical bills when filing a car accident claim in St. Petersburg. But there are many more reasons people file claims. These reasons may impact your legal strategy a car accident attorneys can apply when they help you file a personal injury claim.
Some common reasons to file a car accident claim include:
- holding the negligent party responsible
- preventing something similar from happening to someone else
- obtaining damage payments from areas of life impacted beyond medical bills
- making others aware of the risks of negligent road behavior
- ensuring that insurance companies pay according to their agreements
- bringing about industry changes, new laws, or new protections
- punitive damages
In cases of gross negligence, punitive damages go above and beyond what a claim can justify. They are intended to punish a party for such extreme negligence. In these cases, the intent of the settlement is to encourage the negligent party to change their behavior.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims In Florida
One of the first services a car accident attorney in St. Petersburg offers is a better understanding of what Florida law permits in a car accident claim, applicable compensation limits, and to what you may be entitled to based on what you lost due to the accident.
Often, it is much more that you might initially consider.
Factors that influence car accident claims in Florida might include:
- what serious injuries you sustained and how many
- if someone lost their lives and what that loss means to those around them
- time missed from work
- if there is permanent scarring
Florida is a comparative negligence state. This means that the courts will review both sides of the case to determine negligence. The party with higher levels of negligence typically pays out, or their insurance does. Courts may reduce the damages awarded by the percentage of negligence that belongs to the injured (or deceased) person.
For this reason, even if you feel you may be partly to blame, you should seek legal advice by contacting car accident attorneys in St. Petersburg. Part of what car accident lawyers do is demonstrate that the other party’s negligence was more significant than that of the injured person. Lawyers need to show that the injured person deserves a higher amount of compensation because the other party’s negligence was too great.
How Much Compensation Can You Be Awarded?
The amount of compensation you can win depends on several factors.
Some of the factors that may increase compensation include:
- type and severity of the injury
- financial situation before and after the accident
- aspects of life that the accident impacts
- how likely you are to have a full recovery
- physical appearance before and after (e.g., a child being physically maimed may increase compensation)
Our Featured Case Results
Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
There are many types of damages you should consider seeking when filing a car accident claim.
These might include types of damages like:
- pain and suffering
- mental health, physical therapy, and other similar expenses beyond medical expenses
- loss of ability to earn
- out-of-pocket costs for things you can no longer do for yourself temporarily or permanently (e.g., housekeeping, bookkeeping, etc.)
- loss of enjoyment (e.g., a person who plays the piano as a beloved hobby can never play again because of nerve damage to the hands)
- loss of companionship (e.g., an injury makes it difficult to be physically intimate, an otherwise stable relationship dissolves after the accident, or a beloved family member is lost forever)
Whether you have quality representation can strongly influence how much you win. Car accident lawyers with a track record of winning significant damages for their clients understand how to demonstrate the negligence of the other party and clearly explain the true extent of your loss in Florida to increase the damages awarded.
Auto Accident Statistics In St. Petersburg and Florida
Despite safety measures taken by the state, automobile accident deaths have been on the rise.
In 2018 (the most recent year for which data has been finalized), in the state of Florida:
- over 400,000 auto accidents were reported
- 3,135 people lost their lives in 2,917 death-causing accidents
- 255,353 people were injured in 167,219 injury-causing accidents
- 9,356 crashes involved pedestrians, and 720 were killed
- 6,590 involved bikes with 160 bikers losing their lives
- 21,610 injuries involved hit-and-run drivers
Do I Need To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney?
You can choose to file a claim on your own, but you may overlook important paperwork or file against the wrong party. It is a tedious process and going up against insurance companies can be a strong burden, especially while you are trying to recover from your injury.
Hiring a personal injury attorney is the quickest and easiest way to recover from your losses. Not all attorneys are the same and some may make promises they cannot deliver on. Hiring a knowledgeable car accident lawyer can provide you many benefits.
These benefits include:
- the peace of mind knowing that an attorney is fighting for your losses
- access to a kind legal professional that listens to you and understands what you are going through
- having all of the paperwork needed to file a strong legal claim
- negotiating with the responsible party and insurance companies to get the settlement you deserve
- going to trial if necessary to ensure that all of your losses are covered with the settlement
Let a personal injury attorney do all of the leg work for your claim so you can get a head start on recovering and getting your life back in order.
Car Accident Lawyers Serving St. Petersburg, Florida
In many cases, you may be up against a team of experienced lawyers on the other side. That is especially true if you’re filing a car accident claim against an insurance company that is not willing to meet their obligations.
The lawyers for the other party have one main goal: to discredit you to underrepresent what you’ve really lost due to the accident. They work to diminish the amount their clients must pay, and they are very good at what they do.
If you’ve been injured or lost a loved one in a motor vehicle accident, working with an experienced, dedicated, and successful team of car accident lawyers can help you improve the outcome of your case. Successful trial lawyers may even be able to help you settle out of court so that it never goes to trial.
You will find such a team with the Florin|Roebig personal injury attorneys, who service areas throughout the U.S.
Car accident lawyers on our esteemed legal team include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Shaun M. Cummings
- Josh T. Walker
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
File A Claim With The Help Of A St. Petersburg Car Accident Lawyer
The law firm of Florin|Roebig has over 30 years of experience successfully winning cases and significant compensation for clients. Located in Florida, they represent people all over the U.S.
When you work with them, you’re working with a team that has resources needed to represent you. They also have the Florida personal injury trial law experience to influence a positive outcome.
Contact the experienced attorneys at Florin|Roebig today to schedule a confidential free consultation. We can help you begin the process of filing a car accident claim in St. Petersburg, and surrounding areas in Pinellas County including Clearwater, Largo, and Tampa.