After a car accident, medical bills often pile up. Some people may be so severely injured that they have to find in-home help for simple activities. Other effects may include being unable to work, mounting living expenses, and emotional pain and suffering.
The car accident attorneys at Florin|Roebig can provide legal advice and help you file a car accident claim in Crystal River to compensate you for your losses and work toward making you and your family whole again.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Crystal River
Many come to Crystal River for its natural beauty and to see the manatees. In fact, the area is highly traveled by tourists. This increases traffic and the chances of car crashes. But that doesn’t take away the responsibility each driver, resident, and tourist have to navigate the roads safely.
Some common causes of motor vehicle accidents in Crystal River include:
- failure to yield
- reckless or careless driving
- unsafe U-turns
- running lights and stop signs
- sleepy driving
- distracted driving
- failure to properly maintain the vehicle
If you’ve been injured and the other party was engaging in activities like these, you may have excellent grounds for a personal injury case in Crystal River.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
People seek out car accident lawyers in Crystal River to file a claim for many reasons. Of course, paying medical bills is a top priority, but other reasons may require your consideration. These may influence the strategies your car accident lawyers use in your case.
Reasons to file a car accident claim may include:
- getting an unsafe motorist off the road
- forcing an insurance company to honor the full extent of its policy
- preventing others from experiencing what’s happened to you
- receiving some kind of financial compensation for loss of a loved one in the accident
- paying for therapy and other miscellaneous losses
- holding the negligent person responsible for their actions
- getting a company (or government) to change policies related to the accident
- getting a sense of closure
- punishing the other party in an instance where their actions were grossly negligent
Punishing a negligent party is called punitive damages. When the courts award punitive damages, the amount is above and beyond what you can reasonably claim as a loss.This sends a message to the negligent party and to others that this kind of act or failure to act appropriately will not be tolerated in Crystal River and Citrus County.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
Filing a car accident claim in Crystal River may seem a straightforward affair.
But you should consider several factors that may influence the success of your complaint, such as:
- how bad your injuries are
- whether your doctors expect a full recovery
- how a prognosis of partial recovery will impact your career, hobbies, comfort, and lifestyle
- the time you had to take off work or will have to take in the future for ongoing care
- how the injury’s expenses seep into every aspect of your finances
- statute of limitations
- type of claim (e.g., personal injury, wrongful death, property damage etc.)
The state of Florida court system recognizes the concept of comparative negligence. This means that when an injury, death, or other loss occurs, the courts don’t just consider one person at-fault and the other an innocent victim. They look at negligence in terms of percentages.
So, for example, the other party may have 65 percent of the fault (negligence), and the injured person may have 45 percent. If the courts decide to award damages to the injured person, they will subtract an amount to represent the percent of negligence the injured person has.
One of the vital roles of your car accident lawyers in Crystal River is to demonstrate that the other party’s negligence was much higher than that of the injured person because the higher that percentage, the higher the potential damages awarded.
Car accident attorneys will also advise their clients about the importance of timely filing of your car accident claim in Crystal River. The statute of limitations for cases involving negligence is only four years in Florida. Waiting means that if you experience any delays because of claim-filing issues, you could run out of time.
To avoid missing out, reach out to car accident attorneys to advise you in the filing of a car accident claim in Crystal River as soon as possible.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
Understandably, you may be wondering how much compensation is coming your way. Several factors play into this amount since every car accident claim in Crystal River is different. Personal injury lawyers can guide you and uncover the actual value of your claim when you seek counsel. This value may be much more than you think.
Factors may include:
- types and severity of injuries
- if injuries permanently alter your appearance (e.g., facial burns or lacerations)
- how likely you are to fully recover
- how the injury impacted your career (e.g., you may have lost your job or can no longer do your line of work)
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
A car accident claim in Crystal River, Florida may include a number of types of damages, depending on your individual situation.
Damages which may be awarded in car accident claims can include the following:
- medical and therapy bills
- pain and suffering
- emotional distress
- lost wages (past and future)
- mental health concerns that arise (e.g., depression, post-traumatic stress disorder)
- loss of enjoyment (e.g., a person who loves painting landscapes for fun permanently loses feeling in their hands)
- loss of consortium/companionship (e.g., a loved one is lost in the accident, or the weight of financial strain destroys a marriage)
- household expenses (e.g., a person is bed-ridden for six months and cannot cook, clean, shop, or bathe by themselves)
Auto Accident Rates In Crystal River
In Crystal River and Citrus County, there were 36 vehicle accident deaths per 100,000 people in 2018. These deaths have risen sharply since 2013.
Additionally, between 2012 and 2017, the area experienced:
- over 9000 crashes
- 16,000 vehicles in those crashes
- 4500 vehicle accidents with injuries
- 147 deaths
List Of Top-Rated Car Accident Attorneys Serving Crystal River
If you’ve sustained serious injuries, then working with car accident lawyers in Crystal River can significantly alter the outcome of your claim. The successful team of personal injury attorneys at Florin|Roebig understands how to support your efforts during this difficult time. We can make a case for the negligence of the other party and justify the amount of damages you’re requesting in your claim.
Our car accident attorneys are experienced and always ready to go to trial if needed, but work to build a case so compelling that the other party will prefer to settle out of court.
Some of our esteemed car accident lawyers who can help you file a claim in Crystal River include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Chad K. Florin, M.B.A., LL.M.
- Nicholas S. Costantino
For every year since the inception of the honor in 2010, the Florin|Roebig law offices have been selected as one of the “Best Law Firms in America” by “US News and World Report” and “Best Lawyers in America.”
Other practice areas Florin|Roebig specialize in which are available to the Citrus County and Central Florida area include:
- medical malpractice
- motorcycle accidents
- slip and fall accidents
- truck accidents
- wrongful death
Should I Contact An Attorney For A Car Accident?
If you’ve been hurt in a car accident due to the negligence of another, you deserve to be compensated. With 30 years of trial experience and ample resources, our team at Florin|Roebig is prepared to ensure you understand the value of your claim and to help file your car accident claim in Crystal River. Please contact Florin|Roebig today to schedule a confidential and free consultation.