People are involved in car accidents on a daily basis. In some cases, these accidents are minor and cause little to no damage. However, in other cases, car accident victims are left with serious injuries that continue to affect them for the rest of their lives. If you have been the victim of a car accident that resulted in injury, you may be able to collect a settlement from the responsible party.
Filing a car accident claim in Fort Myers can be complicated, but it is often the only way to cover the mounting medical expenses or other costs that follow an accident. If you are thinking about filing such a claim, the experienced car accident lawyers at Florin|Roebig are here to help you through every part of the process.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Fort Myers
If you have been involved in a car accident, you will be able to file a claim only if you can show the accident was the result of someone else’s negligence. In the state of Florida, you can file a claim even if you are partly responsible for the car crash, as long as another person was negligent as well.
Some situations in which you can file a claim for compensation include:
- crashes caused by an intoxicated driver (drunk driving)
- crashes caused by a driver who was distracted
- crashes resulting from speeding, running stop signs, or other dangerous behaviors
- crashes that involved a malfunctioning vehicle
- crashes that occurred because of a dangerous condition on the road that should not have been present
If an auto accident involved road rage or malicious intent, your claim against the responsible party may be even stronger. To find out if your car accident qualifies you to file a personal injury claim, please contact our office for a free case evaluation.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
As the victim in a motor vehicle accident, you may choose to file a claim against the party responsible for several different reasons.
Some of the most common motivations claimants have for filing include:
- the need to collect compensation — Car accidents often result in significant expenses, including medical bills and lost wages. The accident may also lead to other impacts on your life, such as ongoing pain, psychological trauma, and even relationship problems. You may choose to file a car accident claim in order to collect compensation for these losses and expenses.
- the desire to prevent future accidents — When you file a car accident claim, you force the party responsible for the crash to take a good look at their actions. This may prevent similar accidents from occurring.
- the desire for justice — As an accident victim, you deserve justice. Filing a car accident claim gives you the opportunity to hold the person who caused your crash responsible for their actions and the impact on your life.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Cases
When you are preparing to file a car accident claim in Fort Myers, there are several factors to consider.
Some of the factors that may affect the outcome of your claim include:
- comparative negligence — The state of Florida utilizes a policy of comparative negligence when deciding personal injury claims. This means that your degree of fault for the accident may affect your settlement amount.
- the extent of your injuries — The extent of your injuries and their impact on your life will have an effect on your settlement offer and the overall outcome of your claim.
- the type of damage — Car accident claims may involve personal injury, property damage, or a combination of the two. The type of damage involved will have an impact on the case.
- the impact of the accident on your finances — During the case, you will be asked to provide evidence of the accident’s financial impact. This will play a role in determining your settlement amount.
- the statute of limitations — In order to collect compensation for a car accident, you must file your claim within a specific time period after the crash. This time period is known as the “statute of limitations.”
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
If you are thinking about filing a car accident lawsuit, you may wonder how much compensation you will win if the claim is successful. Unfortunately, estimating this amount can be challenging. Every car accident claim is different and will depend on the specifics of your situation.
For example, if you can show that the accident has left you permanently disabled and unable to work, you will collect more compensation than a car accident victim who has only minor injuries.
The best way to determine how much you could collect in a car accident case is to talk to a Fort Myers car accident lawyer who has experience in this practice area.
Types Of Damages Awarded In Auto Accident Cases
Which damages you may receive for your claim depend on your individual situation and the facts surrounding your case, including how the injuries affected your finances and/or impacted your life overall.
Some of the types of damages you may receive following a successful car accident claim include:
- payments for medical bills
- benefits for future medical expenses
- compensation for lost wages
- damages for lost ability to earn money
- benefits related to effects on your personal life, such as loss of enjoyment
- compensation for pain and suffering
- payments for property damage
- punitive damages
Not all car accident claims will include every type of damage. Speak to a knowledgeable Fort Myers car accident attorney who can review your case, your expenses, and more to see which damages you can claim.
Car Accident Rates In Fort Myers
With Fort Myers being a part of Lee County, here are some car accident statistics specific to this area:
- Lee County saw a total of 12,709 car accidents in 2017. This was higher than the number of crashes recorded in 2016 and 2015.
- 113 people died in car accidents in Lee County during 2017.
- 7,832 car accident injuries were reported in Lee County during 2017.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving Fort Myers
It is possible to file a car accident claim without the help of an attorney. However, because of the complexity of these cases and the importance of collecting a fair settlement, hiring an accident attorney is recommended.
Because your personal injury lawyer will play such an important role in your case, choosing the right professional to represent you is essential. At Florin|Roebig, we have a legal team of experienced attorneys who serve clients in Fort Myers.
Some of the members of our team include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Luca G Esposito
- Michael A. Ossi, O.C.
Find A Fort Myers Car Accident Lawyer Near You
For car accident victims, filing a claim is the best way to collect much-needed compensation. However, this process can be lengthy and daunting. At Florin|Roebig, we have extensive experience with car accident claims in Fort Myers.
Regardless of your situation, we will take the time to learn about your case and provide legal advice to help you make the decisions that are best for your future. Please contact our office today to learn more about our services or to schedule a free consultation with a member of our team.