If you have been involved in a car accident, you are likely already dealing with a variety of problems. If you have suffered financial loss because of your accident, however, you may be able to collect compensation from the party responsible for your crash.
You can use this compensation to cover the many losses you have incurred because of the crash, as well as the losses you are expected to incur in the future. At Florin|Roebig, our attorneys understand these complex cases. With our help, you can maximize your chances of a win in court.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Fontainebleau
Car accidents are often complicated situations with multiple contributing factors. While some car accidents may qualify victims to file personal injury claims under Florida law, others may not.
Some of the most common factors contributing to car accidents in the Fontainebleau area include:
- disobeying rules of the road — When a driver disobeys traffic laws, accidents are likely to occur. For example, when a driver goes left of center or fails to yield at a stoplight, the chances of a crash are high. Whether or not the driver disobeyed the law intentionally, this behavior is considered negligence, and victims can usually file a claim.
- driving under the influence of substances — Drivers who are under the influence of substances may have slower reaction times and poor judgment. When intoxicated drivers cause accidents, they can be held responsible for the damages.
- distracted driving — Many drivers engage in distracting activities, such as texting, while operating their vehicles. When these distractions cause a crash, the driver responsible is liable for the injuries and property damage that results.
- speeding — Exceeding posted speed limits is common. However, when it is a factor in a car accident, it can qualify victims to make a claim.
If your car accident was the result of some other issues, such as your own negligence, you may not be able to file a claim. In some cases, more than one factor may have come into play in causing the crash. To find out whether your specific situation meets the requirements of Florida law, contact our office.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
There are several reasons a victim may decide to file a car accident claim. While some victims have one primary motivation, others may choose to file a claim for multiple reasons.
Here are three of the most common reasons cited by victims who file car accident claims:
1. To Collect Damages
If your car accident claim is successful, you will be able to collect damages to compensate you for medical bills and other losses related to the crash.
2. To Hold The Negligent Party Accountable
Filing a car accident claim is the best way to make sure the party liable for your accident is forced to face the consequences of their actions and accept responsibility.
3. To Prevent Future Accidents
Filing a car accident claim brings attention to unsafe situations on the road, which may lead to traffic law changes and/or a greater level of care from drivers who hear about the case.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
Different factors may affect the progress and outcome of your car accident claim. For example, all car accident claims in the state of Florida are subject to a statute of limitations. If you don’t file your claim before this time period expires, you may not be able to collect a settlement.
Likewise, all personal injury cases in Florida must involve negligence. However, it is important to note that you can still collect a settlement for your car accident even if you share some of the responsibility.
Unlike other states, which may require victims to be entirely without fault, the state of Florida utilizes a policy of comparative negligence to determine the outcome of personal injury cases. Talk to your attorney to learn more about this issue.
Finally, another important factor that may affect the outcome of your case is your ability to prove the impact the accident has had on your life. The more significant the impact of the accident has been on your finances and your personal life, the easier it will be to win your case.
This issue will also have a significant effect on your compensation. For this reason, keeping detailed records of everything related to the accident is highly recommended.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
Different factors will affect the amount of compensation you can take home if you win a car accident lawsuit. For example, the type of injury you sustained will play a role in determining what you can collect.
More severe injuries that are not expected to heal completely typically lead to higher settlement amounts. Likewise, the specific financial impact of the injury, as well as the aspects of your personal life that have been affected by the accident, will also be considered by the court when your settlement amount is calculated.
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
The majority of the damages you will receive if you win your car accidents are compensatory in nature, which means they are intended to compensate you for specific losses related to the accident.
Damages that may be included in your car accident settlement include:
- compensation for wages you lost
- compensation for lost ability to earn money
- damages for pain and suffering, both emotional and physical
- benefits for loss of enjoyment of your life
- payments for past medical expenses and future estimated medical costs
In cases where the person who caused your accident behaved maliciously, the court may also award punitive damages as part of your settlement. The purpose of punitive damages is to act as a deterrent to others by punishing the negligent party.
Auto Accident Rates In Fontainebleau
Fontainebleau is a part of Miami-Dade County, which sees a significant number of serious car accidents every year.
The following are auto accident statistics specific to this area:
- Miami-Dade County recorded almost 66,000 crashes during 2017.
- 285 people died in auto accidents in Miami-Dade County during 2017.
- 32,389 people were injured in auto accidents that occurred in Miami-Dade County during 2017.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving Fontainebleau
When filing a car accident claim in Fontainebleau, you want to be sure you are entrusting your case to a dedicated, experienced professional. The team at Florin|Roebig has a strong record of success representing clients in these cases, and we are here to help you maximize your chances of winning your case.
Some of the members of our team who represent clients in Fontainebleau include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Luca G Esposito
- Michael L. Walker, B.C.S.
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
If you have sustained injuries or other losses in a car accident, the best way to recover the compensation you need to begin rebuilding your life is by contacting the experts at Florin|Roebig. Please call our office today for more information about our services or to schedule a consultation with a member of our team.