The Florida court systems can be complicated to master if you’re new to them, and even a seemingly straightforward car accident claim in Doral can quickly become more complicated than you ever imagined. Florin|Roebig can help explain when and why to file, so you can decide for yourself if you need a car accident attorney.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Doral
Accidents in Doral can often be traced back to the following causes:
- distractions: Some drivers are glued to their smartphones, while others simply find themselves daydreaming. Given the amount of technology on the road today, it’s all too easy for drivers to become distracted.
- reckless behavior: This is defined as a complete abandonment of the safety rules in Florida. If the consequences of reckless driving are severe enough, the Florida courts will prosecute this as a felony.
- speeding: While this is common for many drivers in Doral, it doesn’t make it any less dangerous when someone needs to make a split-second decision.
- hazards: Anything that makes the roads less safe could be considered a hazard (e.g., broken glass, stormy weather, etc.). Even drivers filled with road rage are perilous to those they come in contact with.
- impairments: Drivers may get behind the wheel even when they’re exhausted or have had too much to drink. Whether it’s failing eyesight or muscle spasms, physical and mental impairments can lead to accidents on the road.
Whether your accident was due to carelessness or just bad timing, any of these causes can give you just cause to file a claim. While a blown-out tire may not have been avoided, the other driver may have had time to pull off the road prior to the collision.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
There’s more than one reason to file a car accident claim, and many of these reasons have nothing to do with financial compensation. While some claims are filed so victims can receive the money needed for necessary medical treatments and incidental costs, there are plenty of cases that have more to do with preventing future occurrences.
Allowing a dangerous driver to remain on the roads isn’t just bad for the people of Doral, the risks extend far past the city borders. Doing your part to protect your community starts with holding the at-fault party accountable for their actions. Unfortunately, an insurance company may only be able to do so much in this regard.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
When reviewing car accident claims, the court system primarily looks at the following facts:
- extent and severity of injuries
- financial status of the victim
- statute of limitations (up to four years)
- type of claim (property damage or personal injury)
- comparative negligence
- effects on personal life
Car accident lawyers in Doral can tell you more about how these factors will ultimately influence a judge’s decision. For example, comparative negligence is the process of determining blame after the accident. In some cases, the other person may be held 100 percent liable for the accident, while in others they may be held 90 percent or 95 percent at-fault.
In addition, there are some exceptions made in the Florida courts for certain cases. If your injuries took several years to manifest, you may still be able to have your case heard in court, depending on the history of your health and the nature of the accident.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
Compensation is largely dependent on your individual circumstances, though experienced car accident attorneys in Doral may be able to narrow it down to an expected range. They can also help you explain the consequences of the accident, including the interference to everything from your daily routine to the relationships with your loved ones.
Severe enough injuries can keep parents from raising their children and successful professionals from ever going back to work. Chronic pain can leave you with the inability to take part in your favorite activities or even to achieve uninterrupted sleep.
If you were already struggling to pay your bills before the accident occurred, you’re going to need serious compensation if you hope to get by both during recovery and beyond.
No matter what you’re fighting for, the right attorney can make you (and your case) that much stronger. They can do so much more than just fill out forms and interpret legal jargon for you. When people hire an attorney, it’s because they need someone to organize the countless details and present the facts that matter.
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
Car accident claims in Doral may be awarded the following damages:
- medical: Medical doesn’t just refer to the costs of your initial surgery or check-up. You can also include physical therapy sessions, the cost of necessary equipment (e.g., wheelchair, etc.), and any other services you used related to your injury.
- pain and suffering: In some cases, the mental aftermath of an accident is as devastating as the physical injuries. These damages can not only include the direct costs of prescriptions and therapist visits, but they can also factor in the extreme distress suffered due to the collision.
- lost wages: You’re allowed to file for more than just the immediate income lost after the accident. If you were moving up in your career (or likely to move up), you can file for the wages you would have made had the accident never occurred.
- personal help: If you’re unable to perform everyday tasks, such as cooking, cleaning, or caring for young children, you can request the costs needed to hire a professional to help.
- loss of consortium: If your spouse or partner had to miss work to visit you in the hospital or has now had to take on the burden of being a single parent, they can file for damages related to the financial and emotional stress of their new reality.
- punitive: These damages are only awarded if the at-fault driver was purposely trying to cause the accident. They are not related to the victim’s experience and solely meant to punish the at-fault driver. While these damages are rare, attorneys may still request them to highlight the risk that certain drivers pose to us all.
Car (Auto) Accident Rates In Doral
Living in Miami-Dade County, you likely already know just how dangerous the crowded streets can be.
Miami-Dade has reported the following numbers for car accidents:
- The three-year average between 2015–2017 for fatalities in the county was 306.
- In 2017, there were 32,389 personal injuries reported and 44,144 property damage claims.
- 28 percent of all crashes involved drivers ages 25 or younger in 2017.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving Doral
Florin|Roebig is a company built on experience, compassion, and skill, and all of our attorneys are professionals you can trust. For more than 30 years, Florin|Roebig lawyers have been serving clients throughout Florida and helping them recoup their losses from a multitude of personal injuries, including injuries sustained in car accidents.
Some of the highly esteemed members of our legal team who could help you file a car accident claim in Doral include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Chad K. Florin, M.B.A., LL.M.
- Nicholas S. Costantino
- Jordan A. Kolinski
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
You may already know that you’re not required to hire a lawyer in Florida if you’re hoping to take your case to court. What you may not know is that the court system has a very specific rhythm to it, one that can easily interfere with the best-laid plans of those without professional assistance.
In addition to the technical details of the court, it can be stressful to try to prove a case, especially if you’re still trying to recover.
Scheduling a consultation with Florin|Roebig can do more than just give you a short break from the pressure. Whether it’s determining the compensation you deserve, filing paperwork, or appealing the court’s decision, we’re here to provide real relief however we can.
Learn more about how and when to file a claim, what types of damages you may be able to claim, and how much compensation you may be able to win when you schedule a no-cost consultation with us today.