Between the beauty of Biscayne Bay and its nearby campus, car accidents in North Miami are a common occurrence. No matter how the accident occurred, the emotional and physical effects for some can be truly unsettling, leading to financial strain and life hardship.
If you want to know more about filing car accident claims in North Miami, Florin|Roebig may be able to help. We’ll tell you more about how accidents are caused, what types of damages victims usually file for, and what kind of compensation you can expect to win should the courts rule in your favor.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In North Miami
Accidents can be caused by any number of factors, but are often caused by several common factors.
Those who were involved in an accident will likely identify with one or more of the following causes:
- distractions: There’s been a dramatic rise of distracted drivers all over the country with more people than ever before staring at a smartphone.
- physical conditions: It’s not just older drivers with failing eyesight that can cause a crash. Anyone who isn’t feeling their best may be liable to make mistakes on the road.
- recklessness: When drivers throw all caution to the wind and display a total disregard for safety, they endanger more than their own lives on the road.
- speeding: The reaction time of a driver can be easily cut in half or more if they’re going quickly enough.
- substance use: Many people take prescriptions that can impair their driving ability (in addition to common culprits like alcohol and street drugs).
- exhaustion: There’s no breathalyzer for exhausted driving, but it can be every bit as destructive as drivers under the influence.
A car accident claim in North Miami can be filed for any of these reasons. The right lawyer can help you understand more about how the causes of the accident will affect how your claim is processed and ultimately reviewed by the judge.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
There’s no standard reason for filing a car claim, though some people may assume that the claimant’s sole purpose is to receive financial compensation. The truth behind car accident cases is more complex than that. Some people will file as a means of getting closure to a difficult time in their life, while others file primarily as a way to protect the people of their community.
If you feel as though the at-fault driver is likely to go on making the same mistakes, you may want to give law enforcement your side of the accident. An insurance company will only process the claim according to their policies, but the courts can prosecute a reckless or otherwise unfit driver. Holding the other person accountable may be the only way to keep a dangerous person off the road.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
North Miami courts will usually weigh the following factors, as well as any others that apply, before making a final decision on compensation for a car accident claim:
- injury: From paralyzation to wrongful death, the consequences of a car accident can be permanent.
- life milestones: A car accident can force the victim to quit their job or give up their favorite hobbies.
- comparative negligence: Florida courts will divide blame for the accident based on how the collision occurred. You may be assigned a small portion of blame, which can affect your settlement.
- claim type: You’re allowed to file for property damage or personal injury (though there may be some overlap of property damage with personal injury). With personal injury, the judge may take into account emotional damages as well as direct medical costs.
Because injuries may take time to manifest in victims and because victims may spend years battling with insurance, you have up to four years to file a claim after the accident. Please note that there are certain exceptions to the statute of limitations depending on the nature of the accident.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
The amount of compensation a person can win is partly dependent on who reviews the case, how it’s presented in court, and the extent of the damages. A young medical resident who suffers a debilitating brain injury will usually net a higher salary than a retired executive who has already accomplished their career goals.
It’s important to know that a skilled attorney can provide the details that are likely to sway the court’s favor in your direction. A severe accident likely touched nearly every part of your life, including your relationships, professional life, and personal goals.
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
Damages are the different types of compensation that can be awarded according to the costs you incurred from the incident.
Damages in North Miami awarded for car accident claims can include the following:
- medical care: You can file for all medical expenses, including specialist visits, prescriptions, and necessary medical supplies.
- aftercare: Physical therapists, acupuncturists, chiropractors: if you are seeing a professional to treat your injuries, you can file for these costs.
- home care: These costs may involve at-home aides, cleaners, babysitters, personal drivers, etc.
- lost wages: Victims can file for wages they forfeited due to their injuries. A judge may also consider future wages that were likely to be made in the event of severe physical or mental trauma.
- pain and suffering: These are non-monetary damages that quantify the mental stress and anguish after an accident.
- loss of consortium: Your spouse can file for damages if they needed to miss work due to your accident or suffered severe stress after the accident.
- property damage: Any property loss sustained due to the accident can be included in your list of damages.
Because some of these costs are not direct expenses (e.g., pain & suffering, etc.), car accident lawyers in North Miami can tell you more about how these damages are usually filed and calculated. They can also advise on how to calculate missed wages and loss of consortium.
In very rare cases, you may also be able to file for punitive damages due to the collision. These damages are not based on any monetary or emotional costs deriving from the accident. They are awarded to the victim solely as a punishment to the at-fault driver. In the case of punitive damages, the claimant would have to first prove that the other driver was purposely trying to cause the crash.
Car (Auto) Accident Rates In North Miami
North Miami’s larger county of Miami-Dade reported the following statistics regarding car accidents:
- Miami-Dade had the largest number of crashes of all counties in Florida in 2017 at 65,986
- Of all crashes in 2017, there were 285 fatalities and 32,389 injuries.
- There were 44,144 total property damage claims filed in Miami-Dade in 2017.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving North Miami
Florin|Roebig is here to help the people of North Miami, ensuring they get the counsel they need during a difficult time. Our car accident lawyers have been serving residents of Florida suffering from personal injuries for more than 30 years.
Some of our award-winning legal team includes:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Luca G Esposito
- Chad K. Florin, M.B.A., LL.M.
- Nicholas S. Costantino
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
It’s not necessary to hire an attorney to assist you during your case, but it is highly recommended. Those going through severe stress after a collision may find it difficult to see everything through on their own.
A car accident claim in North Miami can be complicated to file and even more complicated to win, but the attorneys of Florin|Roebig have the experience and the compassion to make it happen. When you schedule a consultation with us, you take your first step down a better path. Learn more about filing a claim by contacting us today for a free consultation.