No one plans on being involved in a car accident, but these accidents can happen at any time. Being injured in a car accident can change your life forever, leaving you with injuries, lost wages, and even mental health issues related to the trauma of the crash.
If the accident was caused by someone else’s negligence, however, Florida law allows you to file a claim for compensation. Filing a car accident claim can be a complicated process, but the attorneys at Florin|Roebig are here to help you make the best decisions from start to finish.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Sanford
Some of the most common causes of car accidents in Sanford include:
- speeding — Speeding is a factor in many car accidents. When a driver exceeds the legal speed limit, they can’t react as quickly to changing circumstances on the road. Crashes that involve speeding are also more likely to cause severe property damage and injury.
- inclement weather — When the weather is bad and/or visibility is poor, drivers are more likely to be involved in car accidents.
- disregarding traffic rules — Drivers who disregard traffic rules, either intentionally or accidentally, are more likely to be involved in a car accident.
- driving while distracted — Being distracted with cell phone use, conversations in the vehicle, or any other activity raises the risk of an accident.
- drunk driving — Driving while intoxicated with drugs or alcohol impairs a driver’s ability to make decisions and react appropriately. In many cases, these situations result in a car crash.
Other situations may also lead to a car accident. In some cases, the cause of an accident is multi-faceted, and it can be difficult to determine if it will be considered negligence under Florida law. If you aren’t sure whether your situation qualifies you to file a personal injury claim, please contact our office for guidance.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
Perhaps the most obvious reason to file a car accident claim relates to the chance for a settlement. Car accidents typically lead to significant expenses for victims, both because of medical bills related to injuries and lost wages.
Being involved in a car accident can also impact the victim’s personal life significantly, causing issues for years to come. The settlement obtained through a car accident lawsuit gives the victim compensation for these losses, as well as the resources to begin rebuilding a better life.
However, compensation is not the only reason to file a car accident claim. As a victim in one of these accidents, you may also have a strong desire to see that justice is served.
Filing a car accident claim gives you a chance to hold the responsible party accountable for their actions. Not only will this individual be forced to acknowledge their role in the accident, but they will also be less likely to behave negligently in the future. Furthermore, drawing attention to the situation may encourage other drivers to avoid unsafe behaviors as well.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
When you are considering the possibility of filing a car accident lawsuit, there are several different factors you should consider.
The factors that are most likely to affect the outcome of your claim include:
1. The Issue Of Negligence
You cannot file a successful car accident claim without proving that negligence was a factor in your case. However, if you were also partly at fault for your accident, you may wonder whether you will still be able to collect compensation.
In the state of Florida, these cases are based on the idea of comparative negligence, which means that fault will be assigned proportionally. If you share fault for the accident, you may receive a reduced settlement amount, but you can still file a claim.
2. The Statute Of Limitations
The statute of limitations puts a restriction on the amount of time you have to file a car accident claim after the incident occurs. If you miss this deadline, you may not be able to collect, so it is important to act quickly.
3. The Type Of Claim
The type of claim you need to file will depend on the specific details of your accident. For example, if the accident caused only property damage and no physical or mental harm, this will affect how your claim is viewed. Talk to an attorney to learn more about this issue as it applies in your case.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
Many car accident claimants want to know how much compensation they will win if their claims are successful. However, this question can be difficult to answer without specific information about the case. In general, the amount of compensation you receive will be directly related to the impact the accident has had on your life.
The more financial and personal losses you have sustained because of the accident, the greater your settlement amount will be. For this reason, it is important to keep careful records of all the effects of the crash and the related bills you pay for evidence in your claim.
Our Featured Case Results
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
Every car accident claim is unique, and the settlement may include a variety of different types of damages.
Some of the damages you may receive if you win your case include:
- medical payments, intended to compensate you for past medical expenses and expenses you may incur in the future
- payment for lost wages, as well as for lost ability to earn money in the future
- compensation for any property damage related to the accident
- benefits related to emotional trauma, physical pain, and the other intangible impacts of the accident
- additional damages in cases where your quality of life is permanently affected
To find out exactly which damages you are most likely to receive in a car accident settlement, talk to an experienced attorney.
Car Accident Rates In Sanford
Sanford is located within Seminole County. During 2017, Seminole County saw:
- 7,211 total auto accidents. This represented a substantial increase from the previous year, which had only 6,649 accidents recorded.
- 48 fatalities because of auto accidents, which also represented a significant increase from the previous year.
- 4,660 injuries, which was slightly higher than the number of injuries recorded in 2016.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving Sanford
The law does not require you to seek legal representation when you file a car accident claim in Sanford. However, having the right attorney can make a substantial difference in the outcome of your case.
At Florin|Roebig, we employ a team of attorneys who understand all the nuances of Florida personal injury law.
Some of the members of our team serving Sanford include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Matthew L. McMullen (MN)
- Michael A. Ossi, O.C.
- Michael L. Walker, B.C.S.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
The experienced car accident attorneys at Florin|Roebig have a long history of representing clients who have been involved in auto accidents throughout the state of Florida. If you are thinking about filing a car accident claim in Sanford, we are here to help. Please contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.