Today’s consumers have access to a larger variety of vehicles than ever before, ranging from large SUVs and pickup trucks to tiny cars. The smallest category of consumer vehicle, the subcompact, is widely popular among first time car buyers and millennials. Subcompact vehicles offer many advantages that their bigger counterparts cannot compete with- they are fun to drive, inexpensive, fuel efficient, and easy to maneuver and park. Though petite cars boast many benefits, they are undeniably the most dangerous choice on the market.
In the event of a collision, occupants of smaller cars are at greater risk of suffering catastrophic injuries or even fatalities. If you or someone you love has been hurt due to another driver’s negligence, the small car accident lawyers at FlorinIRoebig can help you get the compensation you deserve.
Are Small Cars Less Safe Than Larger Cars?
When it comes to safety on the roadways, size matters. Over the years, advancements in crash protection technology have made vehicles of all sizes safer. For this reason, many people wonder why subcompact cars still carry more danger. New mini cars are safer than they have ever been in the past. The largest hazard with mini cars is not a lack of safety features, but the size of the other cars on the road. A smaller vehicle will always be at a disadvantage in a wreck with a bigger vehicle due to two important factors- weight and size.
Subcompact cars are much lighter in mass than trucks, vans, and SUVs. Typically, when two cars collide, the heavier car will push the lighter car backward during the impact. This puts less crash force on the occupants of the heavier vehicle and more on the occupants of the lighter vehicle. Furthermore, large vehicles have longer hoods and bigger crush zones, which gives them an advantage in front-end crashes. The closer the front of the car is to the driver, the more likely they are to sustain injuries in a car accident.
If you have suffered an injury in an auto accident with one of the subcompact vehicles listed below, call us today for a free consultation to find out if your case qualifies for a significant cash settlement:
- Mitsubishi Mirage
- Honda Fit
- Kia Forte
- Chevrolet Spark
- Chevrolet Sonic
- Kia Rio
- Kia Soul
- Nissan Versa
- Toyota Prius
- Ford Fiesta
- Fiat 500
- MINI Cooper
After being denied coverage by my car insurance for a Hit and Run that happened to me, I thought I was going to have to eat the cost of car repairs and medical bills. Until Florin Roebig. They took care of everything. Went WAY above and beyond in helping me to repair my car and myself. I am blown away by the help I received, and the care and attention I was shown. No question was too much, no request too trivial, and definitely no stone left unturned. Kathy was assigned to help me, and I can never say thank you enough. You guys are the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be <3
Subcompact Car Crash Statistics
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), drivers are significantly more likely to die in a smaller car than a bigger car. The IIHS conducted a study that occurred from 2015 to 2018 in cars from the 2017 model year to analyze driver fatality rates. Small cars accounted for 15 of the 20 models with the highest death rates. Mini cars had the highest fatality rate of any vehicle category, with 82 fatalities per million registered vehicle years. Large SUVs had the lowest at 15. Nine of the 20 cars with the lowest mortality rates were classified as luxury SUVs.
The data showed that the average death rates for luxury vehicles in general were considerably lower than the averages for non luxury vehicles of the same size. Many high-end cars and SUVs come equipped with advanced safety features and driver assistance features that are not commonly installed on cheaper subcompact cars.
Our Featured Case Results
Common Small Car Accident Injuries
Subcompact cars are an attractive option for consumers looking for inexpensive transportation. When shopping for a car, many people focus too much on price and not enough on safety. Not only is the death rate higher for mini cars, but serious injuries are more likely to happen as well. Some of the most common injuries sustained in auto accidents involving a subcompact car include:
- Whiplash: Whiplash is one of the most commonly occurring injuries following a wreck. The rapid back and forth motion caused by the sudden impact of the hit can lead to pain and injury to the muscles and tendons of the neck.
- Broken And Fractured Bones: Any bone in your body can break from a high-impact car accident. Mini car accident victims commonly report fractures to the tibia, femur, hip, wrist, arm, and back. These types of injuries can be extremely painful and may even require surgery.
- Lacerations: During a crash, broken glass and debris can fly around the vehicle and lead to lacerations. Many cuts and wounds will heal in a matter of weeks, but others may leave permanent disfiguring scars.
- Spinal Cord Injury: Occupants of subcompact cars are more likely to suffer from severe spinal cord injuries, especially if the vehicle that hit them is a semi-truck. Some spinal cord injury victims make a full recovery, while others may suffer from paralysis.
- Traumatic Brain Injury: Drivers and passengers in small cars can develop traumatic brain injury after a crash caused by a sudden blow or jolt to the head. Many victims with mild to moderate traumatic brain injury are able to recover quickly with little medical treatment. Others who sustain severe permanent brain damage may require life-long medical care.
The unfortunate truth is that in a collision between a big car and a small car, the small one will be much more damaged and the occupants inside more hurt. After being involved in a collision that wasn’t your fault, you need all the help you can get. Working with a top-rated car accident lawyer can help you recover full and fair compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Subcompact Car Accident Attorney
Don’t let the insurance company determine what your injuries are worth, find help with your claim today. The dedicated legal team at FlorinIRoebig has been helping clients all over the United States recover damages related to small car accident injuries since 1985. Having one of our experienced and knowledgeable attorneys on your side will ensure that you never have to settle for less than your case is worth. Call us today for a confidential and free consultation.