So many questions race through a person’s mind after an accident. How bad are the injuries? How will you pay your bills or make up for the lost weeks of work? You should know that the other party involved may owe you damages for the injury, pain, or death they caused.
But you have a limited amount of time to file a car accident claim in Deerfield Beach. The car accident attorneys at Florin|Roebig can help you understand what your claim is worth and how to navigate the process.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Deerfield Beach
According to Johns Hopkins, car accidents are one of the top three causes of severe injury or death. They’re exceeded only by poisoning and falls in the U.S. In 2019, early estimates suggest that 40,000 people were killed in car accidents and countless more injured. What makes car accidents so dangerous?
The most common causes of car accidents in Deerfield Beach are:
- using a phone or other device while driving
- driving while sleepy
- not following rules of the road
- speeding and racing on public roadways
- road rage
- failure to yield right of way
- reckless driving
- not slowing down for road work or in inclement weather
The connection among each of these is a concept known as negligence. Negligence means someone did something careless, whether unintentionally or while fully aware of their actions.
The choice to engage in unsafe behaviors put themselves and others at risk. Many road violations go unpunished. When a person who routinely engages in negligent acts causes injury, the result can be devastating for multiple people.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
People file claims for many reasons. Those reasons may impact the strategies your car accident lawyers in Deerfield Beach use to win your case.
Be open and honest with your car accident attorneys about what you hope to achieve with filing your claim.
Some common reasons to file a car accident claim include:
- compensation for your losses present and future
- holding someone accountable for negligent behaviors
- damages awarded to compensate you for what you’ve lost
- making sure the negligent party can’t hurt others
- justice and sense of closure
- igniting change within an organization, the state, or the federal government
- punishing a party for gross negligence
Punishing someone for gross negligence is known as punitive damages. The courts award these in extreme cases where a party did something or continued to do something despite inherent and significant risks to themselves and others.
These damages are above and beyond what you can justify on your car accident claim in Deerfield Beach. They are meant to send a message to others who engage in negligent behaviors.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
Each car accident claim in Deerfield Beach is unique. Several factors come into play that may impact how you file and the outcome of your claim.
Some of these factors include:
- how bad the injuries are
- whether doctors expect long-term pain, scarring, or loss of function
- how much time you had to take off work and if you can return to your same line of work
- the ripple effects of this event through every aspect of your life (relationships, health, happiness, emotional health, etc.)
- statute of limitations
- comparative negligence
Each state has a statute of limitations for various types of claims. In Florida, that statute is four years for personal injuries or wrongful death caused by negligence. The state of Florida also applies something called comparative negligence when considering a car accident claim in Deerfield Beach.
Comparative negligence, or comparative fault, means that when there is an accident, both the injured person and the negligent party may have a percentage of the negligence. In other words, if the person who was injured has some fault in what happened, that doesn’t mean they don’t deserve to be compensated if the other party was more negligent.
One of the essential roles of car accident lawyers in Deerfield Beach is showing either in court or in an out-of-court settlement that the other party had a more significant percentage of negligence. The higher that percentage, the greater portion of damages might be awarded to you.
You must understand that the negligent party will likely have car accident attorneys representing them, too. It’s essential to have someone on your side if those lawyers try to shift blame onto you or a loved one.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
Because each case is unique, it is not possible to accurately estimate how much you could win.
But here are several factors that may impact that amount:
- type and severity of injury
- if someone died
- whether you can fully heal
- emotional or other damages associated
- what impact it had on your finances
- how the injury impacts different elements of your life
Once you’ve received emergency medical attention, the next step is to contact a car accident lawyer. They can help you understand what your types of damages are and how much you might win if you file a car accident claim.
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
When you think of damages from a car accident, medical bills likely come to mind. Yet an accident often causes damage beyond medical.
Some common types of damages in Florida include:
- various kinds of physical therapy, chiropractic, or acupuncture to speed healing and reduce pain
- pain and suffering
- emotional distress and therapy bills associated with injuries caused by the accident
- loss of your livelihood
- lost wages
- miscellaneous expenses for things you can’t do for yourself while injured (e.g., cooking, cleaning, bookkeeping, etc.)
- loss of enjoyment ( e.g., an active runner can no longer run because their ankle was crushed in the accident)
- loss of consortium (e.g., a spouse is lost in the crash, meaning the companionship is gone forever)
Car (Auto) Accident Rates In Deerfield Beach
In 2019, The Florida Highway Patrol issued many crash-related citations for negligent behaviors in Deerfield Beach and Broward County, such as:
- over 14,000 speeding citations
- nearly 6,000 careless driving citations
- 132 red light violations
- 2,300 improper lane changes
In addition to these non-criminal negligent actions, the county saw criminal acts like:
- 571 DUIs
- 31 reckless driving
- 147 leaving the scene of an accident
This behavior contributed to nearly 1,500 motor vehicle-related deaths in Broward County and many more injuries. Statewide there were over 400,000 car accidents.
If you’ve been injured or lost a loved one in a car accident because of the negligence of another, it’s time to acknowledge that bad behavior on Florida roadways is far from acceptable, and you deserve to be compensated for your loss.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving Deerfield Beach
Car accident lawyers can help you better understand if you should file a claim. The experienced, dedicated, successful legal team at Florin|Roebig is located in Florida.
However, we serve clients all over the U.S. Through our experience and resources, we’ve won substantial damages for our clients in Florida, and we’re ready to put those skills to work for you.
The following esteemed Florida car accident attorneys, as well as many others, are part of our legal team:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Jordan A. Kolinski
- Michael L. Walker, B.C.S.
- Shaun M. Cummings
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
A car accident can be a life-altering event. The injuries you have incurred canl ripple through every aspect of your life. You deserve to be compensated for more than medical bills.
Damages should take into account the real gravity of your loss. The car accident attorneys at Florin|Roebig have over 30 years of experience helping people like you file claims and win worthy settlements.
Contact Florin|Roebig to learn more about what your claim may be worth and how to file in Deerfield Beach.