Car accidents in Boca Raton are an unfortunate reality for countless drivers on the road. While some are minor and straightforward, others bring about questions as to who was at fault or end in unspeakable tragedies that need immediate attention from qualified parties.
How car accidents are handled will vary depending on the court system in which you file, if you were injured, and how the accident impacted your life. For this reason, car accident victims and survivors alike should look to professionals who understand how to file claims that will get the judge’s attention. The personal injury lawyers at Florin|Roebig are here to help you file a claim if and when you’re ready to move forward.
Common Causes Of Boca Raton Car Accidents
Boca Raton car accident lawyers typically see claims filed for the following reasons:
- speeding: Motorists going too quickly remove their leeway to slow down or stop in time. They put more than just themselves in the way of danger.
- distractions: Fiddling with the radio, checking a text message, staring at a dog in the next car: there are so many reasons why a driver would take their eyes off the road. And while it’s impossible to keep your eyes in front of you the whole time, it only takes a fraction of a second to cause an auto accident.
- weather: Boca Raton may get its fair share of storms, but not everyone has a handle on how to keep up when the weather turns bad. The slick roads can easily lead to a collision that would have otherwise been avoided.
- drugs/alcohol: While drunk driving is an infamous cause of automobile accidents, the danger of prescription and street drugs looms larger than ever before. Even common medications can cause reaction delays that lie at the heart of an accident.
- lack of visibility: As drivers get older, the way they process light changes. As the sun sets, they may have a difficult time distinguishing lights, signs, and other common road conditions.
Whether it’s reckless behavior or an honest mistake, these causes can result in the filing of a claim in Boca Raton. A qualified personal injury attorney can help you determine exactly how to classify the cause so there’s no confusion in court.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
Some people assume that car accident lawsuits are filed for the sole purpose of receiving financial compensation for serious injuries or wrongful death. While an insurance company will certainly grant some financial consideration, they may also put up a fight as to both who caused the accident and how much the injured party receives. If you or a loved one feel that insurance won’t help the way you need it to, you need to take the matter to the courts.
However, the reasons for filing a claim may go deeper than just money. Many people will file because they feel it’s their duty to prevent future incidents from occurring. An insurance company can’t hold the responsible party accountable the same way the law can, and a claim is the best way to bring the issue to light.
There is no such thing as a perfect driver, but some drivers have shown a pattern that needs to be stopped. Others have behaved so carelessly that they can’t be put in a position of ever doing it again. Car accident lawyers can be the answer to holding people accountable, which can ultimately lead to safer roads.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Cases
Car accident claims are defined by the circumstances that surround the injured or wronged party:
- injuries: The same accident can affect two people very differently. Pre-existing conditions, age, and seating position are just a few things that will alter someone’s injuries. The more severe the injuries, the more compensation is generally awarded.
- professional life: Car accidents result in missed time from work, which can result in lost wages, lost promotions, and even lost jobs. If you can no longer provide for yourself, this will make a huge difference in the award you’re offered.
- fault: Florida Law is governed by the concept of comparative negligence, or the idea that two people can be at fault for an accident (even if one party is much more at fault than the other). If you were deemed 5 percent at fault for the accident, then your compensation may be lowered based on this law.
- personal life: If you are no longer able to care for your children, participate in beloved hobbies, or provide support for your spouse or partner, you may be able to receive additional financial assistance.
- type of claim: Most motor vehicle accidents are filed under personal injury in Florida, but can be filed as property damage only in certain situations. Property damage is generally more straightforward and will usually result in the cost to repair or replace the property lost in the accident.
Regardless of the type of claim you’re filing, the statute of limitations gives Florida citizens four years to file. A qualified Boca Raton car accident attorney can look at all factors before deciding how to structure and file a claim for the best results.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
Your compensation amount is partly determined by the interruption in your life due to the car crash. If you broke your leg and were unable to work for three months or take care of your children, you’d likely be compensated for the time and opportunity loss at work plus the amount for childcare during that time.
A person who sustained a serious brain injury while studying for med school has an entirely different set of circumstances, though. They would likely be awarded compensation for loss of career path, future lost wages, and mental anguish from the accident.
Types Of Damages Awarded In Auto Accident Lawsuits
Car accident claims typically award injury victims both economic and non-economic damages which can include the following:
- medical expenses
- after-care bills (e.g., physical therapists, at-home aides, etc.)
- lost income
- loss of consortium
- pain and suffering (mental stress and anguish)
- punitive damages
An experienced Boca Raton car accident lawyer can help put many of these damages into perspective for you. Punitive damages are rarely awarded unless you can prove that the other party acted maliciously (a rarity as most car accidents are simply accidents).
Loss of consortium can only be filed by the spouse of a partner based on how they were affected by the accident. For instance, if your partner needed to care for young children alone or arrange for last-minute childcare.
Boca Raton Car Accident Rates
The city of Boca Raton does not keep detailed statistics on car accidents, but the following numbers are available for the State of Florida:
- In 2017, there were 402,385 total accidents and 3,116 fatalities.
- Of all crashes, more than half (232,849) were property damage only.
- 1,946 crashes were confirmed to have alcohol involved.
List Of Car Accident Lawyers Serving Boca Raton
The right car accident attorney can rescue a claim from receiving the low-end of a settlement offer. The law offices of Florin|Roebig are here to help clients in Boca Raton and South Florida get the compensation they deserve.
For every year since the inception of the honor in 2010, the Florin|Roebig personal injury law firm has been selected as one of the “Best Law Firms in America” by “US News and World Report” and “Best Lawyers in America.”
Consider the following car accident injury lawyers from our award-winning team, among others, to give you the edge in your case:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Shaun M. Cummings
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Jordan A. Kolinski
- Parker Y. Florin, LL.M.
- Taylor D. Roebig
- Nollys R. Solarte, O.C.
- Lawrence J. Najem, O.C.
- Andrew M. Leone, O.C.
With over 30 years of experience, our law firm has successfully won over $1 billion in settlements from personal injury cases by providing our clients with high-quality legal representation.
Find A Boca Raton Car Accident Lawyer Near You
Now is the time to reach out if you’re struggling with whether to file a personal injury claim. It’s not strictly necessary to hire an attorney, but you may be surprised at just how much further you can go when you can work with someone who knows personal injury law. When you contact Florin|Roebig for a confidential free consultation, you can take the first step down the path of closure.