People get into car accidents every day in North Port. In some cases, these accidents lead to injuries and disabilities that affect victims’ lives in many ways. For example, if you are injured in an auto accident, you may deal with pain and new physical limits.
You may also have high medical expenses from the treatment you needed after the accident, as well as lost wages if you weren’t able to continue working. In such cases, you can recover some of your losses by filing a claim against the party responsible for your crash.
A car accident personal injury claim can compensate you for all the losses you sustain after an accident. However, winning these cases isn’t always easy. You can increase your chances of bringing home a fair settlement by working with an experienced attorney, such as the lawyers at Florin|Roebig.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In North Port
Many different situations can lead to a car accident in North Port. While some of these situations may qualify you to file a claim for compensation, others may not.
In general, in order to file a claim for compensation, you must be able to show that the car accident was the result of someone else’s negligence.
Some of the car accident causes that typically involve negligence include:
- driving under the influence — When a driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, car accidents are much more likely to occur. If you are injured in an accident caused by an intoxicated driver, you will be entitled to compensation for your losses.
- driving with distractions — Many drivers attempt to operate vehicles while engaging in other distracting activities, such as texting. When these distractions lead to an accident, victims can file car accident claims.
- ignoring traffic laws — Drivers who speed, run stop signs, or otherwise disobey traffic laws are responsible for any injuries or property damage they may cause.
- driver error — In some cases, accidents occur simply because a driver makes a mistake. In these cases, victims can still file a claim against the responsible driver.
You may also be able to file a claim if you can show that your accident resulted from a vehicle malfunction and/or poor road conditions related to neglect. Talk to an attorney to determine whether your specific situation qualifies you to file a claim.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
After you have been involved in a car accident, you may wonder whether filing a car accident claim is really worth your time and effort. However, there are several notable benefits to filing a car accident claim.
These benefits include:
- financial compensation — Perhaps the most important reason to file a car accident claim is to recover compensation. After being involved in an accident, you will incur expenses, as well as personal losses. You deserve to be compensated for all losses related to the accident.
- justice — Filing a car accident claim brings the party responsible for your accident to justice, ensuring that they must face the reality of what they have done.
- protection for others — Depending on the specific details of your case, your car accident claim may highlight a dangerous situation that sometimes leads to accidents. Learning more about this situation may encourage the party at fault, as well as other drivers, to be more careful in the future.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
Every car accident claim is unique, and several different factors will have an impact on your case.
As you prepare to file a claim, some of the factors you should consider include:
To win your case, you must show that the accident would not have occurred without someone else’s negligent behavior. In some cases, however, the court may determine that you also behaved negligently before the accident. If this occurs, you will still be able to file a claim. However, your settlement amount will be reduced proportionally based on your degree of fault for the crash.
2. Statute Of Limitations
Florida law requires all car accident claims to be filed within a specific amount of time after the crash. This time period is known as the “statute of limitations”. Act quickly to protect your right to a settlement.
3. The Accident’s Impact
One of the factors that will affect your case most dramatically is your ability to prove the level of impact the accident has had on your life. For this reason, keeping receipts and careful records of all events after the crash is essential.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
The exact amount of compensation you can win as the victim in a car accident case varies considerably based on the specific circumstances of your accident. In general, this amount will be heavily dependent on the financial impact the accident has had on your life. For this reason, it is important to keep careful records of all of your expenses.
The amount of compensation you can win in your car accident claim will also be affected by the accident’s impact on your personal life. For example, if you can show that the accident has made you unable to enjoy your favorite activities, you may win a higher settlement amount. For a more accurate assessment of the value of your claim, please make an appointment with a member of our legal team.
Our Featured Case Results
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
Car accident claim settlements may include a variety of different types of damages. Most of these damages are considered compensatory, which means they are intended to compensate you for a specific loss you sustained because of your accident.
The most common examples of compensatory damages include:
- compensation for past and future medical expenses
- benefits to cover lost wages and lost earning ability
- damages for emotional trauma and/or physical pain
- property damage payments
- additional benefits for loss of quality of life
Other damages that may be included in your settlement are known as “punitive damages.” These damages do not compensate you for a specific loss but are instead designed to punish the person or organization that caused the crash.
Auto Accident Rates In North Port
North Port is a part of Sarasota County, where car accidents occur frequently.
The following statistics are specific to car accident rates in this area:
- In 2017, a total of 6,625 auto accidents were recorded in Sarasota County.
- These crashes led to a total of 49 fatalities and 4,002 injuries.
- Sarasota County’s total number of auto accidents increased from 2016 to 2017. However, the number of fatalities and injuries fell slightly.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving North Port
Car accident claims give victims a chance to get the compensation they deserve after being injured in a crash. However, your chances of success in court will be much higher if you have a qualified and experienced attorney representing you.
At Florin|Roebig, we understand how these cases work, and we can help you seek justice.
Some of the members of our legal team who serve clients in North Port are included here:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Shaun M. Cummings
- Chad K. Florin, M.B.A., LL.M.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
As the victim in a car accident caused by someone else, you have the right to collect compensation under Florida law. However, in order to maximize the amount of compensation you bring home, you need the right attorney representing you in court.
Our firm is committed to making sure that car accident victims get the settlement they deserve. Please contact our office today to schedule an appointment or to learn more about the representation we provide.