If you or someone you love was in a car crash in Palm Bay, you likely have at least a few questions about how your claim will be filed and what kind of compensation you can expect. Serious accidents can result in comparatively serious injuries, and their repercussions can come with a number of associated costs.
If you’re filing a car accident claim in Palm Bay, you may want to turn to a lawyer for answers rather than to an insurance company. Professional legal advice can help you avoid common mistakes when it comes to completing a claim. Florin|Roebig wants you to have as many facts as possible before you jump into the fray. Find out more about why, how, and when to file in Palm Bay.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Palm Bay
Car accidents usually stem from one or more of the following common causes:
- speed: It’s easy to be impatient in our immediate gratification culture, which is why speeding is often a contributing factor in most accidents.
- carelessness: Some people fail to check both ways when crossing an intersection, while other drivers simply can’t take their eyes off their phone.
- substance abuse: From a few cocktails to a few pills, there’s a reason why substances make headlines every day. But when it comes to accidents, it’s not always as straightforward as some may believe. Most people know not to drink and drive, but not everyone realizes that their necessary prescriptions can be every bit as dangerous to their ability to drive safely
- exhaustion: All-night truckers, insomniacs, new parents: being tired can be just as perilous as being under the influence.
- reckless behavior: A reckless driver is one who’s not paying attention to the safety of themselves or others.
- physical conditions: Some drivers will continue to get behind the wheel even when their body begins to break down. From poor eyesight to blinding migraines, serious health problems can interfere with the quality of driving and cause an accident.
- hazards: Hazards can pop up in the form of a nail on the road or a blanket of water covering the windshield. Anything unexpected or out of the norm can quickly cause a driver to lose control.
If you seek car accident lawyers in Palm Bay, they can tell you that any of these causes can be a good reason to file a claim. If the at-fault party was drunk when they got behind the wheel or unable to keep themselves from checking a text message, they need to be held accountable.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
Filing a car accident claim is often done to ensure that the claimant receives sufficient compensation. But not everyone feels the need to file a claim due to financial reasons. For some claimants, the true goal is to ensure that their community is safe from similar incidents in the future.
It is impossible to expect perfection on the road, but some drivers are too unpredictable to be allowed to continue putting other people’s lives at risk. Filing a claim can not only help you bring your story to light, it can also help ensure that the roads are a safer place.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
You can expect the judge to review your case in Palm Bay based on the following factors, as well as others:
- wrongful death: If someone you loved passed away due to an accident, a judge will weigh this fact before making their decision.
- serious injury: From permanent disability to chronic back pain, injury can cause serious physical disruption in your life as well as financial distress.
- comparative negligence: In Florida, your accident may see some degree of split in terms of fault. For example, you may be deemed to be 3 percent at fault for the accident, which may affect the final settlement.
- claim type: You can file your claim as either physical injury or property damage. Property damage claims are generally settled based on the cost to repair or replace certain property, while a physical injury claim will consider intangible factors (e.g., pain and suffering, etc.).
- statute of limitations: You have up to four years to file a car accident claim in Florida after the event. However, there are some exceptions made if it took several years for your injuries to fully reveal themselves. Car accident lawyers in Palm Bay can give you more information about how and when exceptions apply to your case.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
There’s no way to say exactly how much any given car accident claim in Palm Bay will be granted. However, an experienced attorney will give you an idea of what you can expect based on cases like yours. As you might imagine, the most severe cases will be treated with the most gravity.
For example, let’s say that your spouse was on their way to a promising promotion at their job before sustaining a serious head injury. The results made it difficult to work, and your spouse was forced to quit their job. This situation will likely be granted additional compensation than if the accident involved a retiree who has already accomplished their major career goals.
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
There are a number of damages that car accident victims can file for.
Even their spouses may be entitled to compensation:
- medical: Medical expenses in Palm Bay can include physical therapists, chiropractors, doctors, and specialists. As long as the care was necessary, you can file for it.
- at-home care: After an accident, you may need cleaners for your home, a nanny for your children, or an aide to help you maintain basic hygiene.
- lost wages: Lost wages can refer to both your current wages as well as the projected wages you would have made had your career trajectory not changed course.
- loss of consortium: Your spouse can file for both direct and indirect costs after your accident. For instance, they can file for missed wages if they needed to take time off after your accident.
- pain and suffering: This term can refer to the mental effects and stress you’ve suffered as a result of the event.
- punitive: This type of damage is given as a punishment to the driver (as opposed to direct losses from the victim). An attorney would need to first prove that the other driver was attempting to cause an accident before the judge will issue a punitive charge.
- property damage: You can file for the costs to repair or replace any property loss resulting from the accident.
Car (Auto) Accident Rates In Palm Bay
Palm Bay does not keep detailed statistics regarding its car accident statistics, but Brevard County, where Palm Bay is located, recorded the following car accident rates:
- There were 81 injuries in 2017 that were directly related to alcohol.
- 31 percent of all crashes in 2017 were caused by drivers aged 25 and under.
- 6,505 people were injured in Brevard County in 2017 due to a car accident.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving Palm Bay
Florin|Roebig is here to serve the people of Palm Bay. Our staff of motivated and skilled car accident attorneys can give you an edge when filing your case.
The following is a selection of some of our many experienced car accident lawyers:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Chad K. Florin, M.B.A., LL.M.
- Nicholas S. Costantino
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
You’re under no obligation to hire an attorney to file your claim. If you choose to take on the court system alone, you should know that this can be an uphill battle.
It’s difficult for those who are already stressed to tackle the Florida courts without the experience to back them up. When you call us, you get more than just a sympathetic ear. You get an attorney who can help you get through an exceptionally trying situation and who will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to learn more about filing a car accident claim in Palm Bay.