Car accidents in Marco Island can happen anywhere and at any time, and their aftereffects can be catastrophic for those involved. Even a minor fender-bender may be devastating to someone with pre-existing chronic back pain. As the expenses of an accident mount, it can lead people to seek outside legal help to ensure they get the compensation they need to move forward.
When you need to find car accident lawyers in Marco Island, Florin|Roebig can help you understand more about the basics of car accidents and how courts view different types of claims. This information can help you decide whether to file a claim on your own or enlist the services of a legal professional.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Marco Island
Car accidents typically occur in Marco Island from one or more of the following factors:
- distracted driving: From smartphones to radios to eating or drinking, drivers aren’t always paying attention.
- speeding: Going over the posted speed limit accounts for more accidents on average than any other reason.
- reckless driving: Some drivers simply give up their control when on the road.
- exhausted driving: Lack of sleep can be devastating for a driver who needs to think fast.
- drunk/impaired driving: Prescriptions, alcohol, and other substances can quickly cause someone to make a serious mistake.
- hazardous road conditions: From slippery roads to a misplaced nail, drivers can run into a lot of hazards on the road.
- inexperience: Younger drivers simply don’t have the practice that older drivers do.
- physical disability: If people get on the road when they’re ill or otherwise unable to control their bodies, it can result in an accident.
You’re encouraged to file a claim if any of these causes apply to your case. A person with failing eyesight, for example, may not be able to control their body, but they can control whether they get on the road at night.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
While it’s easy to assume the reasons for a car accident claim in Marco Island, the truth is that there’s a story behind every case. For some, the primary reason is receiving compensation to cover the doctor’s bills they’ve incurred and lost wages from the accident. For others, the major concern is their sense of responsibility to keep dangerous drivers off the road.
Holding the at-fault party accountable is not always possible to do if you go solely through an insurance company. For some accidents, the only chance to tell the full story of how the other driver put you at risk is through the court system. A negligent driver should not be given the chance to do this again — especially if they have a history of reckless behavior.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
The courts will usually consider the following when judging a car accident claim, as well as any other crucial factors:
- injury: An accident that results in wrongful death or permanent paralysis will generally be given more consideration than those that resulted in more minor injuries.
- life events: Some accidents result in the victim needing to quit their job or give up their education. In other cases, an accident can harm relationships with family and friends.
- fault: Car accidents in Florida are dependent on the degree of fault that each person had in the accident. Dubbed “comparative negligence,” the idea is to assign a percentage of fault to each driver. For example, maybe you’re assigned 3 percent of fault while the other driver is assigned 97 percent.
- type of claim: A personal injury claim will typically include non-monetary compensation, such as financial consideration for pain and suffering. A property damage claim will generally hinge on the direct costs to repair or replace property.
- statute of limitations: The statute of limitations is typically four years in Florida for car accident claims.
However, because it may take time for the severity of injuries to make themselves known, there are certain exceptions to this rule.
A lawyer will decide which factors to stress in your case, so you’re able to show the full extent of what occurred. They can also argue comparative negligence so that you’re not assigned a larger percentage than is needed. In some cases, they may be able to show that the other driver was 100 percent at fault, so you’re not held liable for anything.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
Car accident lawyers in Marco Island won’t be able to tell you the amount you’ll receive for your accident. However, they may be able to give you an estimate once they better understand the facts of your case. The financial compensation you win is based on the degree to which your life was affected after the accident.
For instance, a young executive who is being groomed for eventual leadership may need to give up their career entirely in the wake of a major collision. Their relationship with their children may be destroyed if they’re unable to care for them the way they once did. Maybe their spouse was even forced to quit their job to care for young children after the incident.
In severe cases, there is no amount of financial compensation that can ever fully account for these ramifications.
However, these are the types of claims that are generally awarded the most compensation.
Wrongful deaths, total paralysis, chronic impairment: whatever you’ve experienced there is help beyond that of an insurance company. The right lawyer can help explain to a court exactly why and how the events took place and argue for the compensation that will allow the victims to at least cope with the loss.
Our Featured Case Results
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
Typical damages awarded in car accident claims in Marco Island include the following:
- medical: You are allowed to file for all official medical expenses, such as copays, ER visits, surgery costs, physical therapy, and chiropractic care.
- aftercare: This broad category can refer to an at-home aide, a nanny for young children, or cleaning services.
- pain and suffering: A car accident claim in Marco Island can include damages for mental pain and suffering faced after an accident.
- lost wages: Whether you missed out on a day of work or a lifetime, you can file for both the amount of your current wages and the amount you were likely to have made in the future.
- loss of consortium: A spouse or partner can file for damages if they faced emotional or financial disruption in their life after the accident.
- punitive damages: These costs are charged to a reckless driver and awarded to the victim for no other reason than to punish the at-fault driver. These costs are only given if the victim can prove that the driver was intentionally trying to cause the accident.
Car (Auto) Accident Rates In Marco Island
Collier County, which includes Marco Island, has reported the following car accident statistics in 2017:
- There were 5,135 and 2,819 injuries. The three-year average from 2015 to 2017 was 2,779.
- Alcohol was the number one reason for impaired driving, resulting in 78 crashes and 55 injuries.
- Collier County saw 3,140 total property damage claims.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving Marco Island
Car accidents can leave you reeling financially, physically, and emotionally. When you’re ready to file a claim, you’ll need expert advice and guidance. Florin|Roebig lawyers have been serving clients throughout Florida filing personal injury claims since 1986. If you’re looking for car accident attorneys, Florin|Roebig may be able to help with our team of award-winning attorneys.
Lawyers serving Marco Island and areas throughout Florida include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Shaun M. Cummings
- Luca G Esposito
- Matthew L. McMullen (MN)
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
Everyone in Marco Island should understand that they are by no means obligated to have an attorney in order to file a claim. You have the right to defend yourself in court if you so choose. Yet courts may look more favorable on those who are well-prepared with the assistance of an attorney.
Florin|Roebig has helped people from every walk of life get the justice they’re looking for. If you want to know more about which factors of the case are most important or whether you’re likely to win, you have every reason to schedule a consultation today. Contact us to learn about your legal options and how to file a claim in Marco Island.