People are involved in car accidents every day in Melbourne, Florida. When these accidents lead to injury and financial loss, victims may wonder whether there is anything they can do to rebuild their lives. Fortunately, if you can show that someone else’s negligence was the cause of your car accident, you can typically collect a settlement in court.
The purpose of a car accident settlement is to compensate you for any and all losses related to the accident, including your lost wages, medical bills, and any other verifiable expenses. For the best results, anyone who wants to file a car accident in Melbourne should contact an attorney for guidance and representation.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Melbourne
In order to collect compensation after a car accident in Melbourne, you must be able to show that negligence was a factor in your accident. This means that the accident occurred because one or more other parties failed to exercise reasonable care.
Examples of car accident causes that are usually considered to be caused by negligence include:
- driving with distractions, such as texting or talking on the phone
- drunk driving
- failure to obey traffic laws
- driver error or inattention
- road rage
You may also be able to file a personal injury claim if you were involved in a car accident because of a poorly maintained road or a malfunctioning vehicle. However, it is important to note that not every car accident in Melbourne will result in a successful claim. If you are not sure whether your situation qualifies you to file a claim, talk to one of our attorneys for guidance.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
As the victim in a car accident, you may choose to file a car accident claim for several reasons.
Some of the most common motivations cited by people who file car accident claims include:
- to collect damages — Car accidents lead to a number of expenses, such as lost wages and medical bills. Filing a car accident claim gives you the opportunity to collect a settlement designed to compensate you for these losses.
- to avoid future accidents — Car accident claims draw attention to the dangers of negligence on the road. In some cases, this may serve to reduce the risk of similar accidents occurring in the future.
- to hold the negligent party responsible — The negligent party responsible for your accident should be brought to justice. Filing a car accident claim is the best way to hold this party responsible for their actions.
Regardless of the reason you choose to file your claim, you will have a better chance of success with the right attorney on your side.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
Several different factors can have an effect on the outcome of your case. For example, the type of car accident claim you plan to file will determine how the case proceeds. While some cases involve only property damage, others also involve personal injury.
Regardless of the type of claim you plan to file, you must file your claim before the statute of limitations expires. The state of Florida requires all car accident claims to be filed within a specific amount of time after the accident occurs. Otherwise, you won’t be able to collect compensation.
Another important factor to consider is the issue of comparative negligence. In some states, you can only collect compensation for a car accident if you share no fault. In Florida, you will be able to file a claim even if you were partly at fault for the crash, but your settlement amount may be reduced accordingly. Talk to your attorney to learn more about this issue.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
A wide range of factors can affect the amount of compensation you will win if your personal injury claim is successful.
Some of these factors include:
- type of injury — A mild injury that heals quickly will bring a smaller settlement than an injury expected to cause lasting disability and/or pain.
- financial impact — The more severe the financial impact of your accident, the higher your settlement amount will be. For this reason, it is important to keep all receipts related to the crash.
- aspects of life affected by the accident — Some injuries are so severe that they impact the victim’s personal life, such as their ability to engage in previous hobbies. These effects on your life will result in a higher settlement amount.
Every car accident claim is different. For a more accurate assessment of what you expect to collect if you win your case, talk to a personal injury attorney.
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
The types of damages awarded in car accident claims can typically be divided into two categories: compensatory and punitive. Compensatory damages are intended to make up for a specific loss you experienced because of the accident.
Some of the most common compensatory damages awarded in these cases include:
- medical payments for both past and future medical expenses
- compensation for lost wages and lost ability to earn money in the future
- damages related to physical pain and emotional trauma
- compensation for loss of enjoyment and damage to relationships
Punitive damages, on the other hand, are designed to punish the person who is responsible for your accident. These damages are usually included only in cases where negligence was extreme or the responsible party caused the accident on purpose.
Car Accident Rates In Melbourne
Melbourne is part of Brevard County.
Here are some statistics that highlight the frequency and severity of auto accidents in this area:
- Brevard County recorded 9,056 auto accidents in 2017.
- There were a total of 84 auto accident-related fatalities in Brevard County during 2017.
- Brevard County auto accidents caused 6,505 injuries in 2017.
The total number of auto accidents in Brevard County increased from 2016 to 2017, but the number of deaths and injuries decreased.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving Melbourne
When filing a car accident claim, having the right attorney can make all the difference. When you have an experienced, dedicated attorney on your side, you will have the resources you need to make the best decisions every step of the way. Our firm employs several car accident attorneys who have experience handling cases throughout Florida.
Some of our car accident attorneys serving Melbourne include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Shaun M. Cummings
- Chad K. Florin, M.B.A., LL.M.
- Nicholas S. Costantino
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
If you are thinking of filing a car accident claim in Melbourne, you need an attorney you can trust. With the right attorney on your side, you can be sure that you have the best chance of winning the settlement you deserve. At Florin|Roebig, we understand the complex laws that apply to car accident cases in Melbourne. Please contact our office today to make an appointment with a member of our team.