A car accident claim in Cocoa Beach is a relatively common occurrence, especially when tourists swamp the roads in search of the perfect vacation. The stress accidents cause can make it easy to make a mistake when filing a claim. If you’ve suffered physical injury, the process becomes even more complicated.
It’s time to dive into the nature of accidents, how compensation is determined, and what you can do to take matters into your own hands. Rather than relying on an insurance company to get you what you need, it may make more sense to look for car accident lawyers in Cocoa Beach who can actually fight for what you deserve.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Cocoa Beach
Cocoa Beach car accidents are high in number and may be caused by a number of factors.
Some common occurrences which lead to car accidents are:
- speeding: Speeding doesn’t always mean going 20 miles over the limit. A driver going 15 miles an hour over the limit can still cause major damage if they’re in a crowded parking lot.
- distractions: The ding of a phone or the lure of an unexpected event can cause drivers to turn their eyes away from the road.
- recklessness: Recklessness is generally defined as someone taking undue risk in their car. It may involve anything from severe speeding to stopping cold in the middle of a freeway.
- drugs/alcohol: From cocktails to cocaine to Oxycontin, drivers may find themselves making poor or delayed decisions on the road after ingesting certain substances.
- physical impairments: Some people decide to go to work even when they’re ill or otherwise disabled. Poor eyesight, migraines, and muscle cramps can all interfere with the person’s ability to drive.
- weather: Cocoa Beach may be known for relatively clear skies, but they can turn cloudy quickly. Not adjusting your driving to weather conditions can be considered a form of negligent driving.
- road hazards: Materials like broken glass and nails can cause tires to flatten and drivers to skid into other cars.
If any of these causes apply to your accident, you may be able to file a claim. The at-fault party may not have been able to control the sudden stormy weather, but they could control whether they pulled over during it.
Similarly, the condition of their car may have a lot to do with whether you suffer an accident. Bald or under-inflated tires will be more likely to blow out than those that have been well-maintained.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
There’s no right or wrong reason to file a claim, only your reasons to file. While many people do file for necessary medical compensation and aftercare expenses, some will file because they feel the driver who caused the accident needs to be taken off the road.
All drivers have a responsibility to each other to keep the streets safe. If you feel that the larger community will be endangered by the person who caused the accident, filing a claim may be the only way to hold the at-fault person accountable. This can be the only way to prevent future accidents.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
A car accident claim in Cocoa Beach is usually settled based on the following factors, as well as any others that directly relate to the accident:
- injuries: If you or someone you love was severely injured or suffered a wrongful death, the courts will often consider the physical effects of the claim above all other factors.
- life goals: Whether personal or professional, if your life goals were destroyed or significantly delayed due to your accident, this can make a difference in the amount of compensation you receive.
- comparative negligence: In many accidents, both parties are at fault — even if one driver was only 1 percent to blame. With comparative negligence, the Florida courts will assign blame based on the circumstances that caused the accident, which can impact how much compensation a person is granted.
- type of claim: A property damage claim will be processed differently than a personal injury claim. A property damage claim is usually settled based on the direct costs to repair or replace lost property. A personal injury claim will consider both direct and indirect expenses (e.g., pain and suffering, etc).
- statute of limitations: You have up to four years to file a car insurance claim in Cocoa Beach. However, there are certain exceptions if it took longer than four years for your injuries to make themselves known.
If you have questions about any of the above factors, an attorney can make it easier to understand how the rules work. For example, they may be able to predict the degree of blame you’ll take in the accident, or whether a statute of limitations exception will be granted by the courts.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
The compensation you win for a case is tied up in how much disruption there was to your life in the wake of the accident. For example, if you were planning to start a family and the accident severely injured your internal organs, you may receive more than someone who has already had a family.
Similarly, those at the beginning of a promising career or in the middle of their education may be given additional consideration than someone who has already accomplished many of their original goals. This is not to say that people of any age and status can’t receive sizable compensation based on their individual circumstances, though.
If you have questions about the dollar amount you’re likely to receive, car accident attorneys may be able to help. They can use their professional experience to estimate your reward package, so you can feel confident if you choose to move forward.
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
The types of damages you can file for will be determined on the details surrounding your financial situation, extent of your injuries, and how the accident impacted your life.
Those in Cocoa Beach are encouraged to file for one or more of the following damages:
- medical expenses: From the initial consultation to the final surgical follow-up, car accident victims can file for all official medical expenses.
- specialist visits: This may include things like physical therapy sessions or chiropractic visits to regain muscle movements.
- incidental care: During recovery, you may need an at-home aide to run errands, a cook to make meals, or a nanny to look after young children.
- lost wages: People will file for the direct costs of time off work. They may also file for projected future wages based on their career path prior to the accident.
- loss of consortium: These damages can only be filed by the spouse or partner of the injured party and may include anything from lost wages to the costs of mental stress.
- pain and suffering: Accidents may cause undue anguish to the victim. You have the right to file for these damages if you’ve greatly suffered after the incident occurred.
- punitive: Punitive damages are enacted as a punishment against the at-fault driver. These damages are rarely awarded for car accidents because you need to prove that the other driver intentionally tried to cause the collision.
Car (Auto) Accident Rates In Cocoa Beach
Brevard County, where Cocoa Beach is located, has reported the following facts regarding car accidents within its limits:
- Brevard County has one of the highest incidents of alcohol-related crashes. There were 143 confirmed crashes in 2017 alone, resulting in 81 injuries.
- Of the 9,056 total crashes that occurred in the county in 2017, 2,848 were caused by drivers under the age of 25.
- In 2017, there were 6,505 total injuries that occurred from car accidents within the county.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving Cocoa Beach
Car accident attorneys can help you file and settle your claim in Cocoa Beach. Florin|Roebig attorneys have offices in Florida and have been helping our clients win compensation for personal injury claims for more than 30 years.
A list of our esteemed car accident lawyers serving Cocoa Beach and other areas throughout Florida include the following lawyers, as well as many others:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Jordan A. Kolinski
- Luca G Esposito
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
If you don’t want to file a claim on your own, Florin|Roebig is here to provide the assistance you need. When you schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys, you can ask us questions about your accident and whether an attorney can help you win your case.
We can discuss the details of your claim and provide you with a skilled estimate of what you stand to win in compensation. Contact us today to learn more.