The natural beauty of Tamiami has made it a haven that’s beloved by tourists and locals alike. But its popularity can also make for crowded streets filled with drivers who all have their own agendas. Car accidents may not always be avoidable in this suburb, but thankfully, there are options available if you want to take legal action following an injury caused by another driver.
Not everyone involved in an accident should file a claim, but for some, it’s the best way to get the consideration and compensation they need to move on with their lives. Florin|Roebig can give you more details about how claims are filed, which factors affect their outcome, and what kinds of damages you can request.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Tamiami
A car accident claim in Tamiami may list one or more of the following under its causes:
- speeding: The at-fault driver doesn’t need to be a race car hopeful to be going several miles over the limit.
- drugs/alcohol: Car accident lawyers in Tamiami can tell you that collisions can be caused by anything from one too many drinks to prescription pain medications.
- bodily defects: Some drivers may have general physical conditions, such as trouble seeing at night, or they may have specific ailments, such as a sudden and severe migraines.
- road hazards: From potholes to stray nails, certain elements on the road can quickly turn a peaceful drive into a turbulent battle.
- stormy weather: There doesn’t have to be a hurricane for the weather to interfere with the driver’s ability to maintain control.
- distractions: A distracted driver will never be able to react the way a fully present driver can. Unfortunately, the number of distractions has only risen in the modern age.
- recklessness: This cause can actually be deemed a felony in Florida under certain conditions and is defined by a total disregard for all safety rules.
Car accident attorneys in Tamiami would likely encourage you to file for any of these reasons. While it may be understandable that a piece of broken glass caused a tire blow-out, that doesn’t mean the driver will be cleared of injuries sustained due to the resulting collision.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
Every claimant will have his or her own reasoning for filing. In the case of wrongful death, friends and family members may be trying to bring justice against the person who took their loved one. In the case of severe injuries, the victim may just be trying to pay off the necessary expenses that have mounted since the collision.
But others choose to file because they know an insurance company won’t be able to properly prosecute the at-fault driver. There are some people who make honest mistakes on the road, but there are others who are a menace to both themselves and the people of Tamiami. If you want to prevent another accident, you may need a judge to step in and give an official ruling.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
The judge is trained to look at how your whole life was affected by the accident, meaning they’re interested in more than just the official doctor’s diagnosis.
The severity of your injuries can have far-reaching consequences on anything from your relationships to your career to your personal life:
- financial status: A retiree with a strong financial portfolio will have very different assets than a person who was financially struggling prior to the accident.
- overall health: A person who had previously suffered a slipped disc may not be able to handle the impact of the collision the way a healthy person could.
- career: In some cases, a victim may be able to continue working even during recovery. For others, they may need to drastically alter their daily schedule or quit entirely.
There are also a number of legal components to your case, including the type of claim filed and the statute of limitations. A personal injury claim may drag on for many months as the courts attempt to process the available information, but a property damage claim is typically easier to settle based on the direct costs of what was lost.
You have up to four years in Tamiami to file a claim after the accident has occurred, though there are certain exceptions made in extreme cases. Finally, the courts will also factor in comparative negligence, or the concept that both drivers may share fault for the accident.
Car accident lawyers in Tamiami can give you more information about how the courts make their decisions and whether you’re likely to share some degree of blame in the collision.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
The amount of compensation you can win will largely depend on the severity of the accident and the way your case is presented in court. If you hire a qualified legal professional to help, they’ll work to streamline your case while developing arguments that will help prove your claims.
A lawyer won’t be able to pinpoint a dollar amount, but they can give you an estimate of what you’re likely to receive. The general idea is that those with the most drastic cases will be awarded the most in terms of total damages. This is why it’s important to give the court context for your requests and a lawyer can help ensure you have a strong case.
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
Most accident victims will file for more than one type of damage in Tamiami.
Common examples of damages awarded for car accident claims can include:
- medical costs: This can be anything related to your injuries after the accident, including testing, doctor visits, physical therapy expenses, and medical equipment.
- long-term care: From nursing homes to at-home aides, you can file for any and all expenses related to your recovery.
- lost wages: An attorney can help you determine how much to file based on both your current and projected earnings.
- pain and suffering: These costs are based on the mental stress from the accident, but can also include directly related expenses (e.g., therapy visits, anti-anxiety medications, etc.).
- loss of consortium: These damages are available to your spouse or partner due to the absence of support after the collision.
- punitive: These damages are given to the victim as a way to punish the driver. (You can only file for punitive damages if you can prove that the driver was trying to cause the collision.)
An attorney can tell you more about how to estimate certain costs, such as loss of consortium, pain and suffering, and punitive damages. They can also gather and include the evidence necessary to give you a better chance of receiving everything you file for.
Car (Auto) Accident Rates In Tamiami
The suburb of Tamiami does not keep detailed numbers on its collisions, though there have been multiple headlines about the dangers of the Tamiami Trail.
The larger county of Miami-Dade has reported the following statistics for crashes in 2017 within its borders:
- 65,986 crashes
- 285 fatalities
- 44,144 property damage claims
- 32,389 injuries
- 28 percent of drivers involved in crashes were aged 25 and under
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving Tamiami
Florin|Roebig is proud to bring the people of Tamiami a group of exceptional lawyers who won’t stop fighting on your behalf. Our team has been serving areas throughout Florida for decades, with an impressive track record of settlements obtained for clients.
Some of our highly esteemed car accident lawyers who can help you file a claim in Tamiami include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Nicholas S. Costantino
- Jordan A. Kolinski
- Matthew L. McMullen (MN)
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
While you don’t need an attorney to file a car accident claim in Tamiami, your best chance of getting the outcome you want may be to hire an experienced lawyer who can help you through the process, such as ours at Florin|Roebig.
Because the Florida courts can be frustrating at best, having someone by your side can make all the difference. Let us take the weight off you so you can focus on healing and recovery. Call to schedule a consultation with us today.