Motorcycle accidents are far too common in Gainesville, often causing severe injuries, disability, and even death. If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to damages from the responsible party.
However, in order to collect these damages, you must typically file a personal injury lawsuit. Filing a personal injury claim can be overwhelming, but the experienced team of motorcycle accident lawyers at Florin|Roebig is here to help you succeed.
Common Causes Of Motorcycle Accidents In Gainesville
Motorcycle accidents may be the fault of the motorcyclist or another party on the road. These accidents may also occur because of other issues unrelated to driving behaviors, such as inclement weather. In other cases, motorcycle accidents are the result of a combination of different factors.
Some of the factors that may contribute to a motorcycle accident include:
- intoxication — If the motorcyclist and/or driver of another vehicle on the road is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, a motorcycle accident is more likely to occur. When another driver involved in the crash is intoxicated, the motorcyclist may be able to file a personal injury claim.
- distracted driving — Motorcyclists and/or other drivers may be distracted by texting, arguments, or even their own thoughts. When another driver’s distractions contribute to a crash, a motorcycle accident claim may result.
- malfunctioning vehicles — Malfunctions in motorcycles or other involved vehicles can contribute to motorcycle accidents. In these cases, personal injury claims can sometimes be filed against the vehicle manufacturer.
- inclement weather — Inclement weather can contribute to motorcycle accidents, but will not qualify victims to file a claim in most cases.
- road rage — Road rage raises the likelihood of all types of accidents. When a motorcyclist is injured because of another driver’s malicious behavior, the victim is often entitled to compensation.
After being denied coverage by my car insurance for a Hit and Run that happened to me, I thought I was going to have to eat the cost of car repairs and medical bills. Until Florin Roebig. They took care of everything. Went WAY above and beyond in helping me to repair my car and myself. I am blown away by the help I received, and the care and attention I was shown. No question was too much, no request too trivial, and definitely no stone left unturned. Kathy was assigned to help me, and I can never say thank you enough. You guys are the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be <3
Understanding Motorcycle Accident Claims
Motorcycle accident claims are a variety of personal injury lawsuits, which means they hinge on the concept of negligence. In order to file a successful claim, you must be able to show that the negligence of another party was the direct cause of the accident.
In the state of Florida, you can file a motorcycle accident claim even if the accident had multiple causes and/or was partly your fault. Florida courts use comparative negligence to assign different proportions of fault to all parties involved in the case. If you win the lawsuit, your settlement will be reduced proportionally according to your degree of fault for the accident.
Keep in mind that all motorcycle accident claims in the state of Florida are subject to a statute of limitations. This means that you need to file your claim quickly after an accident has occurred. In fact, as soon as you have sought the medical care you need and reported the accident to the authorities, your next call should be to a motorcycle accident attorney.
Why Do People File Motorcycle Accident Claims?
Victims injured in motorcycle accidents may choose to file personal injury claims for different reasons. Perhaps the most common reason cited by claimants in these cases is to collect the damages they deserve.
Motorcycle accidents often leave victims with chronic pain, disability, and emotional trauma. Financial losses are also common. A successful motorcycle accident claim compensates the victim for all of these consequences of the accident.
Victims in motorcycle accident cases may also choose to file a personal injury claim in order to force the negligent party to take responsibility for their actions. Likewise, filing a personal injury claim against the negligent party may also reduce the risk of similar accidents occurring in the future.
Damages Awarded For Motorcycle Accident Claims In Gainesville
If you have been the victim in a motorcycle crash caused by another party, you may receive multiple types of damages, depending on the specific details of your case.
Some of the most common damages awarded to claimants in motorcycle accident cases are as follows:
- damages to cover past medical expenses, as well as future estimated medical expenses
- compensation for wages you lost and/or your diminished ability to earn money in the future
- compensation for pain and suffering experienced during and after the crash
- benefits to compensate you for emotional trauma and damage to your mental health
- punitive damages, in cases where the defendant was extremely negligent or acted maliciously
How Much Is Your Claim Worth?
Every motorcycle accident claim is different, and there are a variety of factors that can impact the value of your claim.
Some of the factors that come into play in determining how much money you take home include:
- the extent and severity of your injuries
- how well you are expected to recover
- whether you can return to work
- the cost of your medical bills
- how much pain you experienced
- effects on your personal life and relationships
- the degree of negligence involved
- the competency of your attorney
If you want a more specific estimate of the value of your claim, talk to the qualified attorneys at Florin|Roebig.
Our Featured Case Results
Do You Need To Hire A Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
Legally, you have the right to file a motorcycle accident claim even if you are not represented by an attorney. However, hiring an attorney can dramatically improve the outcome of your case. Motorcycle accident attorneys understand the complex laws that apply in these cases.
They also have experience representing claimants in court. Your attorney will draw from their knowledge and past experiences to help you build a stronger case. In addition, defendants are more likely to take your motorcycle accident claim seriously when you have legal representation.
Filing a personal injury claim can be daunting and stressful, especially when you are still recovering from your injuries. Having an attorney on your side simplifies this process by giving you a source of continuous guidance and support throughout the process.
Facts On Motorcycle Accidents In Gainesville And Alachua County
While motorcycle accidents are decreasing in Alachua County and Gainesville overall, accidents and related injuries still occur in the area, some of which are fatal:
- Alachua County recorded a total of 153 motorcycle crashes in 2017 alone.
- In 2017, there were six fatalities and 122 injuries related to motorcycle crashes in Alachua County.
- The incidence of motorcycle crashes, motorcycle crash injuries, and motorcycle crash fatalities decreased from 2016 to 2017.
List Of Motorcycle Accident Attorneys Serving Gainesville
Filing a motorcycle accident claim without the help of an experienced attorney is not recommended. Fortunately, the team of experienced lawyers at Florin|Roebig is proud to serve the residents of Gainesville.
The lawyers on our staff include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- John J. Hart
- Nollys R. Solarte, O.C.
- Brian R. Dettman, O.C.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Reach Out To A Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident that was the result of another party’s negligence, now is the time to act. The sooner you file your personal injury claim, the sooner you will receive the settlement you deserve. Please contact the experts at Florin|Roebig today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.