A car accident can happen in just a few seconds, but leave behind a lifetime of problems. From ongoing problems due to injuries or the lost wages when a victim can no longer work, individuals and families impacted by a serious car accident have many critical decisions to make.
Often a car accident lawyer is an important resource in the first days and weeks after a crash. Car accident lawyers in Lakeland can walk victims through their options and help them understand their rights, so they can decide whether to file a claim.
Filing a car accident claim can be tricky, and the resulting case has many potential pitfalls. With the help of an attorney, you can get through this process with minimal stress, so you can focus on your healing instead of your injuries.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Lakeland
From distracted driving to failing to follow the posted speed limit, car accidents in Lakeland occur for many different reasons. Understanding the reason behind your accident is a key point in building your case.
While each case is unique, there are some common causes of car accidents in both Lakeland and the rest of the country:
- driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- aggressive driving
- violating other traffic laws
- distracted driving (i.e. cell phone use)
- defective vehicle parts
- malfunctioning traffic signs or signals
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
Filing a car accident claim in Lakeland can feel overwhelming. For many people, it is the best option to get help covering the expenses of the accident and resulting injuries.
Before deciding whether you will file a claim, you may want to take inventory of your injuries. Serious injuries have high medical bills, and you may need help to cover those costs. Minor injuries may not need the help of a car accident claim.
If you or someone you love was injured or killed in a car accident, or you are suffering costly property damage, you may have the right to seek compensation. This is particularly true if the accident was the fault of another party.
Some reasons why someone might choose to pursue legal action include:
- desire to hold the other party accountable for their actions that resulted in the accident
- desire to put a stop to poor or negligent driving behaviors
- to get help paying for medical bills after a serious car accident injury
- to get help covering lost income when the injuries are severe enough to impact your ability to work
- desire for justice when someone you love has died in a car accident
- desire for compensation for property damage after a car accident
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
Your car accident claim is impacted by several factors. These factors impact whether you should file a claim, what your likelihood of success would be, and how valuable your claim will be. Car accident attorneys are the best professionals to help with this process.
Some factors to consider as you plan for your claim include:
Consider the details of your accident and what led up to it. If a party involved in the incident was negligent, you may have grounds for a claim.
Negligence refers to behaviors or actions that lead to an injury or property damage, even if those behaviors were not intended to cause harm. Using a cell phone while driving is a common example of negligence in car accident cases.
Under Florida law, negligence in car accidents follows the pure comparative fault rule. This will determine a percent of negligence for all parties involved, including you. If you were at all negligent in the accident, your potential compensation will be lowered based on your percentage of fault.
Extent Of Injuries
The value of your car accident claim will depend on the extent of injuries sustained. The injuries in a car accident can be life-altering, such as paralysis or loss of a limb, or they can be relatively minor, such as breaking a bone. In extremely serious accidents, people may even lose their lives, leaving their loved ones to pick up the pieces afterward.
Your awarded damages after a successful car accident claim will be directly related to the extent of your hardship and injuries. Working with car accident lawyers in Lakeland will help you understand how much you could be eligible to collect after an accident.
Impact Of The Accident
The impact of a serious car accident goes beyond just your injuries and the resulting medical bills. Many people suffer far-reaching effects in the months and years after a serious crash. A car accident attorney can help you think through these types of impacts as you consider the total value of your claim.
Some factors that should be included in your damages include:
- emotional trauma
- job loss
- lost income potential
- post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- necessary modifications to make your home wheelchair friendly
- loss of companionship or parental influence
- pain and suffering
- ongoing costs of physical or emotional therapy
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
Each car accident claim in Lakeland has a unique set of factors that are considered in determining its value. The best way to determine the potential value of your claim is to talk to a car accident attorney.
The value will be determined based on:
- the extent of the injuries
- percentage of fault for the at-fault driver
- ongoing expenses or losses related to the accident
- additional compensation for emotional pain and suffering
- property damage, including car repair
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
Car accident lawyers in Lakeland can pursue many different types of damages for their clients. Your attorney will work with you to determine which damages apply to your case.
Some of the types of damages awarded in these cases include:
- property damage – You may be compensated for property damaged in the accident, including the car. This includes having your car replaced if it was totaled.
- medical bills – Serious injuries can lead to thousands of dollars of medical bills, which are considered part of the damages in a successful car accident case.
- pain and suffering – Though this is difficult to quantify, it is a valuable part of your overall damages.
- lost earning capacity – If injuries leave you unable to work, you have the right to seek compensation for your lost earning capacity.
- punitive damages – These are awarded to hold the other party accountable for their actions, serving as an additional punishment.
Car (Auto) Accident Rates In Lakeland
Car accidents are far too common in Lakeland and the rest of Florida. A closer look at the statistics surrounding crashes will explain why having the help of experienced car accident lawyers in the area is so important.
Here are some concerning statistics surrounding accidents in Lakeland:
- In 2017, Lakeland had 19 fatal car crashes.
- Of those, one involved someone driving under the influence.
- The accidents involved a total of 31 vehicles.
- Polk County, which includes the community of Lakeland, had 11,635 total crashes in 2018, including 123 fatalities and 7,819 injuries.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving Lakeland
If you or someone you love has been seriously injured in a car crash, you need the right legal help to ensure you get fair and just compensation. At Florin|Roebig, we have a team of attorneys who are ready to assist people in seeking adequate compensation for car accident injuries. Our attorneys fight hard for their clients, ensuring they understand the legal process and their rights.
These car accident lawyers, as well as many others, are ready to serve you:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Michael A. Ossi, O.C.
- Nicholas S. Costantino
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
If you have been the victim of a car accident, it’s a good idea to seek legal help as soon as possible after the event. This is critical to getting a fair amount of compensation.
Florin|Roebig offers a team of car accident lawyers serving Lakeland and the surrounding communities who are committed to helping you find success as you file your car accident claim. Contact us today to learn more.