Every day in Punta Gorda, car accidents occur. In many cases, these accidents leave victims with injuries that can prevent them from working and result in expensive medical bills. To recover the losses sustained in a car accident, many victims will need to file a car accident claim against the party who caused the crash.
If you are considering a car accident claim in Punta Gorda, you need a qualified attorney on your side in court. The experienced car accident lawyers at Florin|Roebig attorneys are here to help you get the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Punta Gorda
If you have been involved in a car accident in Punta Gorda, the cause of the car accident will determine whether you are able to file a claim. Specifically, the accident must have resulted from negligence, which means that one or more parties involved failed to exercise the minimum amount of care the law in Florida requires.
Some of the car accident causes that are typically considered negligent include:
- driving while intoxicated — If a driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs and causes an accident, they will be considered negligent and held responsible for all related expenses.
- distracted driving — If someone drives while distracted by texting, talking on the phone, or adjusting the radio, any accidents they cause will be their legal and financial responsibility.
- speeding — Speeding is a common factor among car accidents in Punta Gorda. Because speeding is against the law, drivers who cause accidents while exceeding maximum speed limits must pay for the damage they cause.
- failing to obey rules of the road — Disobeying signs, markings, and other rules of the road can lead to accidents. In these cases, the person disobeying the law can be held responsible.
- vehicle manufacturer defects — In some cases, accidents occur because of a defect with one of the vehicles involved. Manufacturers may be liable for damages in these cases.
Understanding who is at fault for a car accident can be difficult, especially when more than one factor contributes to the crash. If you have questions about whether your crash qualifies you to file a car accident claim in Punta Gorda, our lawyers can help you understand your right to file a claim based on the details of your accident.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
If you have sustained injuries in a car accident, you may wonder whether you should file a claim against the party responsible. Here are some of the reasons to consider filing a claim.
1. To Collect Compensation
Car accidents often leave victims with a variety of losses. For example, if you required medical care after the crash, you may have significant expenses from hospital bills, doctor visits, and rehabilitation. Likewise, if you were not able to go to work because of your injuries, you will have lost wages as well. A car accident claim gives you a chance to collect the compensation you need to cover these losses.
2. To Hold The Responsible Party Accountable
The party who caused your accident should be held accountable for their actions. Filing a car accident claim is the easiest and most effective way to make sure justice is served.
3. To Protect Other People
When you file a car accident claim, the party responsible for your accident is forced to think about their actions. This may prevent them from behaving negligently in the future. Likewise, others who hear about your claim may be more likely to exercise caution on the road, which may prevent future accidents.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
As you prepare to file a car accident claim, you need to consider all the different factors that may affect your case. Although every case is unique, all claimants need to be aware of certain things. For example, every claimant needs to be sure that their claim is filed before the statute of limitations expires.
This time period, which has been established by the state of Florida, imposes a limit on how long you can wait to pursue compensation after being injured in a car accident.
All claimants should also be aware of the issue of comparative negligence. In the state of Florida, the court will assign fault to all parties involved in a car accident proportionally. Even if you are found to be partly at fault for the accident, you can still seek compensation.
To find out what other factors may affect your car accident claim, contact our firm to make an appointment.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
The exact amount of compensation you will win in a car accident case can be difficult to calculate, as many different factors will come into play. However, you can estimate your compensation amount by considering the different expenses you have paid because of the car accident, as well as the losses you have sustained.
For example, if you have expensive medical bills and/or are expected to need ongoing medical care for your injuries, your settlement amount may be higher. Likewise, if the accident had a significant impact on your personal life, your compensation amount will increase even more.
Our Featured Case Results
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
When you win a car accident case, you will be awarded a settlement to cover your losses. In general, two different types of damages may be included in this settlement. The most common type of damages awarded in car accident cases is compensatory damages. Compensatory damages are designed to make up for a specific loss or expense.
Examples of compensatory damages include:
- compensation for lost wages
- medical payments
- damages related to property loss
- benefits for pain and suffering
- compensation for emotional trauma and lasting psychological damage
- payment for loss of enjoyment/loss of quality of life
In cases where malicious intent was a factor, you may also receive punitive damages. These damages are intended to punish the party responsible for your car accident.
Car Accident Rates In Punta Gorda
The following are car accident statistics specific to Punta Gorda and the surrounding county of Charlotte:
- Charlotte County saw a total of 2,780 auto accidents during 2017.
- 27 people died in auto accidents in this county during 2017. There were also a total of 1,594 injuries recorded.
- While the total number of auto accidents increased slightly from 2016 to 2017, the total number of fatalities and injuries decreased.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving Punta Gorda
Filing a car accident claim is the most effective way to recover compensation and ensure that justice is served when you have been injured in a car accident. However, this process can be complicated. To ensure that you have all the resources you need to be successful in court, it is in your best interest to hire an experienced attorney.
The staff at Florin|Roebig understands these complex cases, and we are here to help you succeed.
Some of the attorneys on our staff who serve clients in Punta Gorda include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Luca G Esposito
- Chad K. Florin, M.B.A., LL.M.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
If you have been injured in a car accident, you need to act quickly to protect your right to collect compensation. If you are thinking about filing a car accident claim in Punta Gorda, you need the right attorney on your side.
The lawyers at Florin|Roebig have extensive experience with these cases, and we are here to help you pursue the justice you deserve. Please contact our office today to schedule a consultation with a member of our team.