With nearly 8,000,000 cars on the road in Florida, car accidents will happen. But most car accidents are avoidable when drivers make appropriate decisions.
Unfortunately, inappropriate actions of another may have left you with serious injury, medical bills, an inability to work, or much worse. In these cases, you may be able to file a car accident claim in Ruskin to win compensation.
The car accident attorneys at Florin|Roebig law firm can offer guidance and support to car accident victims throughout this process to recover those losses.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Ruskin
As one of the leading causes of personal injury in Ruskin, car accidents can lead to serious injury, property damage, and even wrongful death. When someone acts or fails to act in a responsible manner to prevent that loss to another, that’s called negligence. Negligence can come in many forms that lead to car accidents.
Some of the most common causes of car accidents include:
- driving while under the influence
- distracted driving
- not yielding the right of way
- running stop signs
- not maintaining their vehicle (e.g., bad brakes, busted tail light, non-functional windshield wipers)
- road rage
- skipping across lanes
When you work with car accident lawyers in Ruskin, they will explore whether any factors like these may have led to the incident. If negligence was involved in the car crash, that information could be used to support your claim.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
Filing a car accident claim in Ruskin can seem like a very straightforward process. But there are many factors to consider that may influence how well your claim performs once it reaches the eyes of defense attorneys, the other party, the jury, and other participants in the U.S. legal process.
Some of these factors include:
- the extent of injuries
- how many injuries occurred or how many people were injured
- any lives lost
- where those injuries occurred
- whether property was also damaged
- how those injuries affected personal lives
- how those injuries affected finances
- how those injuries will affect the future
- whether doctors expect a full recovery
- statute of limitations
- comparative negligence
The statute of limitations in Florida is four years for personal injury claims. You only have this amount of time to file your claim with the courts. Should you miss the deadline, you may not be able to recover any losses.
Your claim will also be viewed under a principle of Florida law known as comparative negligence. This concept recognizes that when two or more parties are involved in some kind of incident, there may be negligence involved, and more than one party may share fault.
The more negligent the other parties are, and the less negligent you’re found to be, the more compensation the other parties potentially have to pay out for your losses.
It’s one of the jobs of defense attorneys to shift some of their client’s negligence (blame) onto you because it saves their client money. One of the very critical roles of your own car accident lawyers in Ruskin is to keep this from happening.
After you have received appropriate medical care, one of the first things you should do is contact car accident attorneys who will work from the start to keep the blame where it belongs, so you recover the most damages.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
Depending on various aspects of the car accident, there could be significant compensation coming your way. Car accident lawyers evaluate the details of your claim to estimate what this compensation might be.
Some of the factors they will consider when determining your settlement offer include:
- the types of injuries and where those injuries are
- how that injury affected various aspects of your life
- what that injury has actually cost you financially
- what an injury will cost you for the rest of your life
Your car accident lawyers in Ruskin will use the unique factors in your case to tell a story that the other party, jury members, and others can relate to. Whether in a courtroom or over a settlement table, it’s these compelling stories that win substantial settlement offers for car accident cases.
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
Understanding the types of damages awarded in car accident claims will ensure that you appropriately list your actual losses, not just the ones which are easy to calculate, like medical expenses or lost wages.
A car accident claim in Ruskin might include the following as it applies to the individual case:
- medical bills
- therapy bills
- mental therapist bills
- lost wages, job, and/or career
- certain home expenses
- loss of companionship (e.g., a person from the accident is left indefinitely in a coma, leaving a spouse, children, siblings, parents, etc. without that companionship)
- loss of enjoyment (e.g., someone who regularly motorbikes for fun can no longer engage in the activity, losing something that gave them great personal pleasure)
- pain and suffering
- emotional distress
- punitive damages (punishing damages beyond what can be justified based on actual losses)
Auto Accident Rates In Ruskin
Ruskin is part of Hillsborough County, where a large number of car accidents occur each year, leading to serious injury, wrongful death, property damage and more:
- nearly 2,500 drivers receive criminal citations and another 20,000 non-criminal citations for their “bad” behavior on the roads
- nearly 200 people per 100,000 lose their lives in car accidents each year
- car accident death rates are slightly lower than the state
List Of Car Accident Lawyers Serving Ruskin
You have the right to file a car accident claim in Ruskin without representation. Given the complexities of the claim-filing process and how these details may impact the outcome, working with car accident attorneys can be a smart move.
The car accident attorneys at Florin|Roebig law firm work with people like you all over the U.S., but they’re right here in Florida and serving the Ruskin area.
Some of our personal injury lawyers who can help you file a car accident claim in Ruskin include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Jordan A. Kolinski
- Matthew L. McMullen (MN)
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
If you or a loved one have suffered financial and personal loss because of a car accident, the legal system supports your efforts to claim damages by filing a car accident claim in Ruskin.
With over 30 years of experience and a track record of winning big for clients, the team of car accident attorneys at Florin|Roebig is ready to assist. Please contact our office to schedule a free consultation.