To be involved in a car accident of any size can be a truly traumatic experience, one that you likely wish could have been avoided by leaving just a few seconds later or by taking a different route home. But no matter what happened during the accident, you should know that there is help available to you.
If you’re looking for justice for either you or a loved one, you need professional assistance that can do more than lend an empathetic ear. Florin|Roebig wants you to know more about the nature of car accidents in The Hammocks, how you can go about filing a claim, and what kinds of damages you can file for.
Having all the information at your fingertips certainly can’t take back what occurred, but it can give you a priceless feeling of control during this time of uncertainty.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In The Hammocks
A car accident can occur in The Hammocks due to a number of reasons, but most occur due to a number of common causes, such as:
- speed: Speeding puts everyone around the driver at risk due to their reduced reaction time.
- distractions: Quickly becoming nearly as universal as speeding, it seems there are more reasons than ever before to look away from the road. A distraction of just a few seconds can result in an accident.
- reckless driving: This charge is so serious in Florida that it can be labeled a felony in certain situations.
- physical conditions: A driver who is not in peak physical condition (e.g., failing eyesight, severe headaches, etc.) can easily lose control due to their impairment.
- drugs/alcohol: The campaigns to stop drivers from operating a motor vehicle while under the influence don’t always work.
- weather: The tourists in Florida (and even many locals) may not always be equipped to handle the sudden clouding of the skies.
- exhaustion: Tired drivers may not be under the influence, but their reaction times may be similar to that of someone who’s had a few cocktails.
If any of these causes look familiar to you, you may want to look into filing a claim in The Hammocks. Many accidents may occur due to more than one cause, but most will have a primary reason for the collision. For example, a person who’s driving recklessly may have been speeding at the time, but the claim would likely be filed as recklessness rather than as speeding.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
If you’re looking for car accident lawyers in The Hammocks, it could be for any number of reasons. Maybe you already know that an insurance company simply isn’t going to be able to handle a complicated claim such as yours. Maybe your expenses have already mounted to such extreme heights that you have no choice but to file a claim to seek compensation.
But filing a car accident claim can do more than give you the money you need to get by. It can also go a long way to keeping the roads safe from the kinds of drivers that threaten people on the road. For example, if your accident escalated due to a case of extreme road rage, you owe it to yourself and the community to prevent this from occurring again.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
The courts in The Hammocks are primarily looking at the most obvious consequences of the accident. This may include anything from the victim being forced to quit their job forever to wrongful death.
Judges may take into account anything from the victim’s financial status to pre-existing health conditions prior to the accident. The more severe the situation, the more generous the compensation package is likely to be.
Your case will also be reviewed based on the following legal protocol:
- comparative negligence: The courts in Florida acknowledge that an accident may be more than one person’s fault. The judge may divide blame based on how the accident occurred. However, the blame will not necessarily be divided evenly (e.g., one driver is assigned 95 percent of fault, etc.).
- statute of limitations: The claimant has up to four years after the event to file. This is the standard statute in Florida, although there are some cases that may be granted an exception to this rule.
- claim type: Property damage claims are generally settled faster than a personal injury claim. This is because property damage is more straightforward and based on direct monetary loss. Personal injury may involve non-monetary damages for mental pain and suffering.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
Your compensation package is based on these factors as well as the number of damages you file for. When a lawyer files a car accident claim in The Hammocks, they need to structure it in such a way that drives home the most important points.
While an insurance company may not take the time to factor in a pre-existing condition or your personal life goals, the court system may. A victim at the beginning of a promising career who is forced to give it up will likely be given more compensation to account for the loss of their future.
A lawyer will also account for damages based on what will likely occur in the future. For example, if it looks as though you’ll suffer from chronic back pain for the rest of your life, a lawyer will be able to skillfully factor this in when requesting compensation.
Our Featured Case Results
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
You can file for multiple damages for one accident in The Hammocks, depending on the details surrounding the collision.
- medical costs: doctor bills, necessary medical supplies, physical therapists, etc.
- aftercare: babysitters, cleaners, at-home aides, personal drivers, etc.
- lost wages: immediate income loss, plus projected income based on the anticipated career trajectory
- loss of consortium: damages filed by a spouse due to a loss of support after the accident. These can be either mental or financial damages
- punitive damages: damages levied against the at-fault driver as a punishment for their behavior
- pain and suffering: mental anguish felt after the accident occurred
- property damage: any physical property that needs to be repaired or replaced
In some cases, it’s easy to calculate damages. A surgeon’s bill can be submitted to the courts, for example. But there are also less tangible factors that will need additional support to be granted to the victim. Car accident lawyers have the experience to both help you decide how much to file for and how to argue the claim before a judge.
Car (Auto) Accident Rates In The Hammocks
Car accidents in The Hammocks are not tracked, but the larger county of Miami-Dade has reported the following:
- With a three-year average of 64,502 accidents between 2015–2017, Miami-Dade had by far the largest numbers in Florida.
- There were 285 fatalities and 32,389 injuries in 2017 alone.
- In 2017, there were 44,144 property damage claims in the county.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving The Hammocks
Florin|Roebig has an incredible team of car accident attorneys that can help you today. Our award-winning attorneys have been serving Florida residents for more than 30 years with an incredible track record and millions awarded in settlements.
Some of our car accident attorneys who can help you file a car accident claim in The Hammocks include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Shaun M. Cummings
- Michael L. Walker, B.C.S.
- Michael A. Ossi, O.C.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
Florin|Roebig understands that making decisions during this critical time can be difficult, especially in the case of a terrible tragedy such as wrongful death. Our attorneys may not be able to turn back time, but they will do everything in their power to make things right moving forward. Schedule a no-cost consultation with us, and let us prove to you just how invaluable our services can be.