The majority of people who book a trip to Florida usually look forward to enjoying sunny weather and relaxing by the pool. Hotels, motels, and resorts have a legal duty to exercise reasonable care for the safety of their guests. When maintenance is less than diligent, slip and fall accidents can occur in many different areas of the facility and have been known to cause serious injuries.
If you believe that a hotel’s failure to provide a safe environment caused your slip and fall accident, you may be eligible to file a lawsuit to pursue compensation for the full extent of your damages. The attorneys at FlorinIRoebig have collected over one billion dollars against negligent property owners and insurance companies by working tirelessly on their client’s behalf.
Where Do Resort and Hotel Slip-And-Fall Accidents Occur?
Florida is home to some of the best hotels, resorts, and theme parks in the world. Whether you are traveling for work or pleasure, the Sunshine State has an extensive cache of attractive accommodations ranging from affordable to ultra-luxurious. The state’s tourism industry was responsible for welcoming 131.4 million visitors last year alone. The subtropical climate, seemingly endless white sand beaches, and thrilling amusement parks have long attracted massive amounts of visitors.
Although you may think a hotel or resort is a relatively safe place, it is not uncommon for a dangerous condition to exist. Many Florida hotels and resorts are extremely diverse properties and slip and fall accidents can occur essentially anywhere people walk including:
- Hotel rooms
- Parking lots and garages
- Stairways and walkways
- Lobbies and entrances
- Swimming pool areas
- Restaurants and buffets
- Gyms and spas
- Bathrooms and showers
Common Causes Of Hotel Slip-And-Fall Accidents
Hotel guests expect excellent safety standards, but oftentimes reality falls short of those expectations. Slip and fall accidents can happen at any hotel, motel, or resort in Florida. Some injuries are the result of dangerous behavior, while many others are caused by negligence. When negligence is the underlying culprit, it is important to know your rights. You may be able to hold the property owner accountable and receive compensation if you experienced any of the following situations:
Parking Lot Hazards
- Uneven pavement due to potholes, cracks, or other surface defects
- Loose concrete, gravel, dirt, or other debris in the parking lot area
- Inferior or improper lighting conditions
- Leaks of oil and other slick substances
Swimming Pool Hazards
- Lack of slip resistant material on pool decks, diving boards, and ladders
- Slippery surfaces due to poor maintenance
- Inadequate signage or warnings regarding pool hazards
- Improperly constructed, faulty, or defective pools and pool equipment
Guest Bathroom Hazards
- Lack of slip resistant coating on hotel bathtub and shower surfaces
- Improperly installed or maintained grab rails inside the bathroom
- Failure to provide a non-slip bath mat near sinks, toilets, or tubs
- Wet tiles in the bathroom due to a leak
- Failure to clean up wet floors caused by spillage or rainwater in a timely manner
- Absence of warning signs notifying guests about changes in the elevation of the flooring in the lobby
- Neglecting to place mats at entryways, especially on wet days
- Loose or bunched up carpets or rugs, causing tripping hazards
- Improper or uneven stair height or depth, as regulated by local building codes
- Worn down carpet, wood, or other treads that are left un-repaired
- Highly polished or waxed wood
- Defective or absent guardrails or handrails
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, floors and flooring materials contribute directly to more than two million slip and fall injuries on a yearly basis. However, there are many other situations that may qualify you for a substantial cash settlement. Call the experienced slip and fall injury lawyers at FlorinIRoebig today to get a free consultation to determine if your accident is eligible for compensation.
Florida Resort And Hotel Slip-And-Fall Injuries
Given the unexpected and sudden nature of hotel and resort accidents, victims are more likely to fall awkwardly and uncontrollably. Usually, the severity of the injury depends on how the person falls and lands. Some individuals who sustain minor injuries in a hotel are able to recover rather quickly, in a matter of days or weeks. Unfortunately, many slip and fall hotel incidents can end in serious injury, permanent disability, or even death.
Common types of Florida hotel and resort slip and fall injuries include:
- Brain injury – In slip and fall accidents, direct trauma to the head can cause injuries ranging from mild concussions to life changing traumatic brain injuries. More serious brain injuries can lead to permanent brain damage or in the worst cases, fatality.
- Fractures and broken bones – Hip, wrist, and ankle fractures are some of the most commonly reported injuries as a result of hotel slip and fall accidents. Fractures and broken bones may require surgical intervention and extensive physical therapy to recover fully.
- Knee injury – When a victim slips and falls forward, oftentimes they land on their knees. The blunt force of the fall and direct contact of the knee with a hard surface such as concrete can cause the patella to fracture. Meniscus tears can occur as a result of the twisting and turning motion associated with a slip. Especially for elderly people, a knee injury can be extremely painful and debilitating.
- Back, neck, and shoulder injuries – Injuries to the back, neck, and shoulder may not present symptoms until days after the accident. The severity of these types of injury ranges from mild to severe. Slip and fall accidents are the leading cause of spinal cord injuries.
What To Do After A Hotel Slip-And-Fall Accident
Immediately following a slip and fall injury, you may not know if you will need to end up filing a lawsuit against the responsible party. There are many factors that may help or hinder your ability to obtain compensation. Some factors are out of your control, but there are actions you can implement right away to increase your chances of a positive outcome:
Get witness information
If you are able to, get the contact information for any witnesses that were present at the time of your fall. In many cases, witnesses can make or break your slip and fall injury claim.
Report the accident to hotel staff
As soon as you can, notify the appropriate hotel staff member that an accident occurred. Even if you don’t have immediate symptoms, it is still important to document the incident. Request a copy of the report and keep it in a safe place in case you need it later on.
Take photographs and videos
Use your smartphone to take photographs and videos of any dangerous conditions that may have contributed to your slip and fall accident. Take pictures of your injury at the time of the accident and in the days following. The more photographic evidence you can get, the more credible your personal injury claim will be.
Seek medical treatment
Depending on how serious the injury is, you may need to go to the emergency room. Regardless of where you seek treatment, keep all of your medical records and payment receipts.
It is important to remember that when you are injured in a fall, you have the burden of proof to show that a hazardous condition existed. Support your claim by finding and preserving as much evidence as possible.
Types Of Compensation Awarded In A Hotel Injury Claim
After a slip and fall accident leaves you injured, you may be wondering what types of compensation you can expect when pursuing a claim. Slip and fall accidents account for over one million emergency room visits each year. Even if you have health insurance, you will likely have many out of pocket medical expenses associated with your hospital visit and any additional treatment.
The financial burden of a slip and fall accident doesn’t stop there. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, twenty-two percent of slip and fall incidents resulted in more than 31 missed days of work. Victims of slip and fall accidents caused by negligence may pursue compensation for:
- As part of your personal injury settlement, you may be entitled to reimbursement for any past medical bills you incurred as a result of the slip and fall related injury.
- Your claim should also include funds to recover future expected medical expenses related to your slip and fall injuries.
- If your injury prevented you from working at the same capacity you did previously, you can seek compensation for lost wages and reduced earning capacity.
- When you experience a serious injury, you can be awarded damages for pain and suffering or in other words, physical and emotional anguish.
- After a slip and fall accident, you may incur incidental losses related to the accident, such as gas money to and from medical appointments or childcare. You can request reimbursement for any additional costs incurred as a direct result of the accident.
At FlorinIRoebig, we know that hotel slip and fall accidents can lead to serious injuries that have the potential to alter the course of your financial future. Don’t miss out on a full and fair settlement by making the mistake of not hiring a qualified personal injury lawyer. When the insurance companies don’t agree to give you a fair settlement, we take your case to trial.
Our Featured Case Results
Duty Of Care In Premises Liability Cases
Florida hotels and resorts have a duty of care to maintain reasonably safe conditions, provide sufficient warning of any dangerous conditions, and correct known risks promptly. When hotel management breaches that duty, an injured victim may have a premises liability claim against the hotel.
Under the legal theory of premises liability, paying hotel guests are considered “invitees” and they are owed the highest level of care. Premises owners or managers must exercise reasonable care to discover and prevent dangers that could harm invitees. Invitees are granted a level of protection that not only covers dangers that are known, but also dangers that the property owner should have known about.
Another classification of a hotel visitor is a “licensee.” This term refers to anyone who enters the premises with consent or implied consent. Typically, you are considered a licensee if you are a social guest or if a registered guest invited you on the property.
How To Prove Your Slip-And-Fall Injury Claim
The burden of proof in a slip and fall claim lies with the victim who is pursuing compensation for his or her injuries. To win your case, you will have to establish that the property owner had or should have had knowledge of the dangerous condition.
In many situations, it is difficult for a victim to satisfy the burden of proof without the help of an attorney who has expertise in personal injury law and experience handling hotel slip and fall cases.
If you or a loved one have sustained an injury as a result of a dangerous condition at a Florida hotel, motel, or resort contact the highly knowledgeable premises liability lawyers at FlorinIRoebig for a confidential and free consultation.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Contact An Experienced Personal Injury Attorney Today
If you recently suffered a serious injury in a Florida hotel, motel, or resort, you may not be able to get the compensation you deserve without the right slip and fall attorney on your side. The highly competent, top-rated personal injury lawyers at FlorinIRoebig have successfully represented very complex hotel premises liability cases and wrongful death claims.
We have the resources and experience to take on the biggest insurance carriers and hotel companies. Call us today for a risk-free legal consultation or use our contact form and we will reach out to you.