Even when you are taking all of the proper precautions, car accidents can still occur. In many cases, these accidents result in multiple financial and personal losses that may impact your life for years to come. If you have been injured in a car accident caused by someone else, you may be entitled to damages. To collect these damages, you must file a claim against the responsible party.
The process of filing a car accident claim in Fort Pierce can be complex, so it is best to partner with an experienced attorney who can help you pursue compensation.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Fort Pierce
Every car accident is unique. In some cases, car accidents are simple and a clear cause can be determined. However, in other cases, more than one factor contributes to an accident, making it more difficult to assign fault.
Some of the situations that are most likely to lead to car accidents in Fort Pierce are:
- exceeding posted speed limits — When drivers travel at unsafe speeds, they are more likely to cause accidents. In addition, accidents that involve speeding are more likely to result in extensive injuries and/or property damage.
- distracted driving — Driving safely requires the driver’s full attention. When drivers attempt to engage in other activities, the distraction can lead to an accident.
- disobeying rules of the road — Running stop signs, failing to yield to other drivers, and breaking other traffic laws increases the risk of an auto accident.
- intoxication — Drivers who are intoxicated are much more likely to cause accidents. Intoxication with alcohol, drugs, or prescription medications leads to poor judgment and slower reaction times.
These are not the only situations that can cause a car accident. Other accidents may involve bad weather, animals running into the road, hazardous road conditions, or even malfunctioning vehicles.
With so many factors contributing to accidents, it can be difficult to determine whether your situation qualifies you to file a claim. The easiest way to determine whether you should pursue a settlement is to speak with one of our qualified attorneys.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
Many claimants who choose to pursue a lawsuit after being injured in a car accident have a financial motivation. The desire to pursue a settlement is understandable, as car accidents can be expensive for victims.
For example, victims also need to pay for ongoing medical care, and they need to replace wages they have lost because of accident-related impairment. For some car accident victims, these consequences will extend far into the future, making the accident even more costly. A successful car accident claim gives victims the opportunity to be compensated fairly for their losses.
In addition to the need for financial compensation, some victims also choose to exercise their right to file a claim in hopes of holding the negligent party responsible for the accident.
Filing the claim forces the negligent party to come face-to-face with the results of their actions. In addition, because of the attention these cases receive, filing a car accident claim may even serve to protect others from becoming car accident victims in the future by encouraging safer driving behaviors.
They are absolutely amazing and Jessica is absolutely amazing they got me the full amount from my car accident got me the medical bills reduced so I didn't have to pay as much and I still had some money left over they worked very hard on my case and tirelessly because the insurance company was not exactly cooperative
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
Car accident claims in Florida are complex legal cases that are affected by many different factors. We recommend learning about these factors in advance so you know what to expect during your case.
Some of the factors you should understand before you file your car accident claim include:
- Florida’s statute of limitations — The statute of limitations is a legal requirement that restricts your ability to collect compensation after being injured in a car accident. If you fail to file your claim before the statute of limitations expires, you may not be able to pursue a settlement.
- negligence — You cannot file a successful car accident claim in Florida unless you can show that negligence was a factor in your case. This means you must prove that someone else involved in the accident was careless and failed to live up to the standard of behavior required by law.
- documentation — If your car accident claim is successful, you will need to demonstrate the effect of your injuries to the court in order to collect the maximum settlement. For this reason, it is important to keep careful, detailed records of all issues and expenses related to your car accident.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
It is only natural to wonder how much your settlement will be worth if you win your case in Fort Pierce. However, this is a complicated question that requires an in-depth investigation of your accident and the events that followed.
Specifically, the greater the impact of the accident on your personal life and your finances, the higher your settlement amount will likely be. Your attorney can give you a more accurate idea of how much money you could be able to collect if you choose to file a claim.
Our Featured Case Results
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
Successful car accident claims typically come with a financial settlement. The goal of the financial settlement is to compensate the victim for all the losses related to the accident.
Some damages that are often included in these settlements are:
- medical expenses — When car accidents result in the need for medical care, compensation will be included in the settlement. Medical payments should cover past and future estimated expenses. It is important to keep careful records to ensure all medical bills are paid.
- compensation for suffering — Car accident victims suffer physically because of their injuries. In many cases, they also experience psychological and emotional trauma, a loss of enjoyment of life, and other intangible losses. Car accident settlements typically include damages designed to compensate for these losses.
- lost wages — Car accident victims often miss work because of their injuries. In the worst cases, the victim may even be disabled and unable to return to work at all. The settlement amount should include damages for lost wages and lost earning ability.
If the party who caused the accident was malicious or extremely negligent, car accident settlements may also include punitive damages.
Auto Accident Rates In Fort Pierce
Fort Pierce is located on the Treasure Coast of St. Lucie County, where thousands of car accidents and related injuries occur every year.
During 2017, the most recent year for statistical data, St. Lucie County reported the following:
- More than 5,000 auto accidents occurred in St. Lucie County.
- More than 3,000 people were injured in St. Lucie County auto accidents.
- St. Lucie auto accidents were responsible for 41 fatalities.
- 10 percent of auto accidents occurring in St. Lucie County involved the use of alcohol.
List Of Top-Rated Car Accident Attorneys Serving Fort Pierce
Being involved in a car accident case can be challenging and traumatic, but having the car accident attorney representing you can simplify the process considerably.
At Florin|Roebig, we represent clients throughout the state of Florida.
Members of our legal team who can represent clients in the Fort Pierce area include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Jordan A. Kolinski
- Luca G Esposito
- Chad K. Florin, M.B.A., LL.M.
With over 30 years of experience, our personal injury law firm has successfully won over $1 billion in settlements from personal injury cases by providing our clients with high-quality legal representation.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
If you are facing personal and financial losses after a car accident in Fort Pierce, you may be able to collect compensation from the party responsible. With a strong claim and a skilled attorney, you will be able to recover all the damages you need to begin rebuilding your life.
To maximize your chances of receiving a fair settlement, let the law offices of Florin|Roebig handle your case. Contact us today for a confidential and free consultation, and to find out more about filing a car accident claim.