Being in a car accident can be a truly jarring event to experience, especially if the collision resulted in serious injury. To make matters worse, many insurance companies will only provide a fraction of the expenses incurred from the collision. This is why many people will turn to the Key Largo courts instead.
If you want to understand more about how filing a claim can benefit you, Florin|Roebig is here to shed some light on the matter. Learn more about the benefits of filing a claim with the car accident lawyers in Key Largo, and why you should take action sooner than later.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Key Largo
Most accidents are complicated in terms of exactly how they occurred, but generally start with one or more of the following causes:
- speeding: Whether it was a driver going 35 miles an hour in a parking lot or 75 miles an hour on the freeway, speed makes it difficult for drivers to react.
- distractions: Things like rubbernecking and fiddling with the radio have always been sources of distractions for drivers. However, distractions have been amplified today with the advent of smartphones and GPS technology.
- reckless driving: The definition of reckless driving in Florida is a driver displaying a complete disregard for safety. In certain cases, this infraction can be processed as a felony if the resulting injuries are severe enough.
- physical impairments: From leg cramps to migraines to general exhaustion, drivers sometimes get behind the wheel when they’re not in peak physical condition.
- driving conditions: Stormy skies, windy days, and poorly maintained roads can all cause drivers to make mistakes on the road.
- drugs/alcohol: A car accident claim in Key Largo may stem from substance abuse. This can be due to standard alcoholic beverages and street drugs, but may also be caused by mandatory prescriptions a person needs to take for their health conditions.
Car accident lawyers in Key Largo will tell you that any of these causes can justify the filing of a claim. Even in uncontrollable circumstances, such as an unexpected storm, drivers are expected to practice safe driving (or pull off the road if they cannot).
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
The reasons to file a car accident claim will look different from person to person. For some victims, the mounting expenses justify going around an insurance company.
The courts are more likely to look at the full circumstances of the accident, and take into account incidental costs, such as childcare and lost wages. An insurance company may only look at the direct medical costs and base their decision on the more obvious bills.
However, other people will file a claim because they want the at-fault driver to be held accountable for what occurred. An insurance company can’t process someone under the law, it can only provide coverage based on the holder’s policy. Taking someone to court can be the only way to ensure that a similar incident doesn’t occur in the future.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
The courts in Key Largo will consider the following before ruling on a claim, as well as any other factors surrounding your individual circumstances:
- wrongful death: If you know someone who passed away as a result of the accident, the judge will take this into serious consideration before deciding the outcome of the case.
- physical injury: The extent of the injuries a person sustained will be taken into account. Generally, the most severe injuries will be granted the most compensation.
- pre-existing conditions: Those with pre-existing health conditions may react very differently to an accident than those who are healthy. The judge will take under consideration how a person’s underlying health contributed to their current injuries.
- comparative negligence: The state of Florida will divide blame based on the circumstances of the accident. This may mean that you’re assigned a small fraction of blame for what occurred, which can affect your compensation package.
- statute of limitations: You have up to four years to file after an accident occurs. The generous time length is because it may take time for serious injuries to manifest.
- type of claim: Property damage claims will be processed differently than personal injury claims, with the former hinging largely on the direct costs to repair and replace property.
- time off work: For some, their injuries prevent them from going to work for three months. In other cases, they’re unable to ever go back to work. The time missed will be given high priority from a judge when determining your case.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
Experienced car accident attorneys can only estimate your compensation package based on the facts of the case. In general though, the more irreversible life events that occurred due to the accident, the more compensation will be granted. Those at the beginning of a promising career will be given more consideration than someone entering their retirement.
This can be an extremely frustrating practice for many people. The court system understands that certain things can never be put right, especially in the case of severe physical injury or wrongful death. The goal is not to erase what has happened with a generous compensation package, but to make it easier for everyone to get what they need in the aftermath.
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
There isn’t just one type of damage that you can file for in Key Largo. Damages are based on how the accident impacted your life.
Which damages you can file for will be based on which types of damages apply to your case:
- medical care: You can file for all necessary care, including the expenses of surgery, physical therapy, and follow-up visits.
- medical supplies: If you need medical supplies (e.g., wheelchairs, crutches, etc.) due to the accident, you can file for these damages.
- at-home help: Some victims will need nannies to help care for children, cleaners to keep up with home duties, or aides to help them run errands.
- lost wages: You can file for both the direct time missed from work and future wages you may have made.
- loss of consortium: Your spouse is allowed to file for damages if they suffered financial loss or severe mental strain as a result of the accident.
- pain and suffering: You can file for mental stress sustained due to the trauma of the collision.
- punitive: These damages are provided to victims because the court system wants to punish the other driver. These damages are only awarded if the other driver was trying to cause the impact (e.g., due to road rage, etc.).
The right attorney can not only tell you more about how your case is likely to be decided, but they can also tell you about the exceptions that can work in your favor. For example, you may be able to file your claim even after the statute of limitations is up.
Car (Auto) Accident Rates In Key Largo
Key Largo does not keep detailed statistics on car accidents, but the following numbers have been reported for the larger county of Monroe:
- Monroe County saw a sharp decrease in accidents from 2015 to 2017, but its three-year average was 1,950 total accidents per year.
- In 2017, 809 property damage claims were filed due to accidents in the county.
- In 2017, there were 650 total injuries from car accidents.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving Key Largo
When you’re ready to file a claim, it’s crucial to ensure you have the best legal help available on your side. Florin|Roebig car accident lawyers have been helping injured accident victims in Florida get just compensation for more than three decades.
Florin|Roebig has put together a team of attorneys that can help you with a car accident claim in Key Largo, some of whom include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Jordan A. Kolinski
- Matthew L. McMullen (MN)
- Michael A. Ossi, O.C.
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
The streets of Key Largo can be a dangerous place at times, leading to accidents and resulting injuries. If you need help filing a car accident claim, Florin|Roebig is here to help.
The courts in Florida have everything to do with the outcome of your case, but it can be nearly impossible to get what you need without the help of an experienced attorney by your side. Learn more and get started on filing your claim by contacting Florin|Roebig for a free consultation today.