Filing a car accident claim is the best way to recover the expenses you incurred because of a car accident. However, this process can be a challenge, especially when you are already dealing with the aftermath of the accident. If you are planning to file a car accident claim, you need to talk to a personal injury attorney as soon as possible to get the guidance you need.
At Florin|Roebig, our attorneys have extensive experience working with clients involved in personal injury lawsuits. With our help, you will have all the resources you need to maximize your chances of winning a fair settlement in court.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Oakland Park
When you have been involved in a car accident that led to injuries or other losses, pinpointing the cause of the accident is essential. If the cause of the accident is considered negligence under Florida law, you may be able to file a claim and collect compensation for your losses.
However, in many cases, car accidents are the result of more than one contributing factor. When more than one factor is involved, it can be more difficult to determine whether you can file a claim.
Some of the most common causes of car accidents in Oakland Park include:
- driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol — Driving while intoxicated reduces a driver’s ability to make sound judgments, which may lead to a crash. In such cases, the driver is often considered negligent.
- driving while fatigued — Like intoxicated drivers, fatigued drivers are more likely to cause accidents. Driving while overly tired is typically considered negligent behavior.
- traffic law violations — Some drivers may accidentally or even intentionally break the rules of the road, such as by running through a stoplight. When this behavior results in an accident, the driver who broke the law is considered negligent.
- road rage — Drivers who operate their vehicles aggressively, such as by speeding or refusing to yield to other drivers, are more likely to be involved in a crash. Depending on the circumstances, this may also be considered negligence in a Florida court.
Other issues that may play a role in causing a car accident include inclement weather, poor road conditions, vehicle malfunctions, and animal activity on the road. All of these factors can complicate the situation. To find out whether the specific circumstances of your accident qualify you to file a personal injury claim under Florida law, it is best to contact an attorney.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
Because car accident injuries often result in so many expenses for victims, the possibility of receiving a financial settlement is one of the most common reasons victims choose to file a car accident claim.
Car accidents not only result in property damage and medical expenses, but they can also have a lasting impact on the victim’s ability to earn a living, as well as the victim’s personal life. Financial settlements awarded in court can compensate victims for these losses.
However, it is important to note that finances are not the only motivation you may have for choosing to file a claim. You may also decide to file if you want to ensure that the negligent party is held responsible for what they have done. Filing a claim gives you a chance to see justice served and gain closure. Likewise, you may hope to reduce the incidence of future accidents by drawing attention to your situation.
Regardless of why you choose to file a car accident claim in Oakland Park, you will have a better chance of success with representation from a qualified attorney.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
Different factors will have an impact on the final outcome of your car accident claim.
Some of these factors include:
- negligence — To win a car accident case, you must be able to prove that negligence was involved.
- verifiable injury— A successful car accident claim also requires you to show verifiable harm as a result of the accident. For example, you must be able to prove that you sustained a physical injury that impacted your life.
- statute of limitations — Under Florida law, all car accident claims must be filed within the statute of limitations. Otherwise, you may not be able to collect compensation.
For more information about how each of these factors will impact your claim, consult with a car accident lawyer in Oakland Park.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
Financial settlements awarded in car accident cases are as unique as the accidents themselves, so it can be difficult to determine how much compensation a victim can collect.
However, when calculating your estimated settlement amount, it is important to consider:
- the impact of the accident on your life — The court will consider both the financial and personal impacts the accident and your injuries have had on your life when calculating your settlement amount.
- your verifiable expenses — The court will review all verified expenses related to the accident, so it is important to keep detailed records.
- the nature of your injury — Injuries that are more extensive, not expected to heal completely, and/or more painful result in higher settlement amounts.
Our Featured Case Results
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
Car accident settlements usually include two primary types of damages: compensatory damages and punitive damages. The majority of the damages you will receive are compensatory in nature, which means they are designed to compensate you for a specific loss related to the accident, such as a hospital bill.
Some of the most common examples of compensatory damages are:
- medical payments, both past and future
- compensation for lost earning ability
- repayment of lost wages
- benefits to cover pain and suffering, both physical and psychological
- compensation for changes to quality of life
Punitive damages, on the other hand, are not designed to compensate you for loss. Instead, they are intended to punish the party responsible for your accident. Punitive damages are not included in every car accident settlement.
Car Accident Rates In Oakland Park
Broward County, which contains Oakland Park, sees a significant number of auto accidents on an annual basis.
The following are statistics specific to auto accidents in Broward County:
- In 2017, more than 41,000 accidents occurred within Broward County’s borders.
- Broward County auto accidents led to almost 25,000 injuries and 225 deaths in 2017.
- More than 24,000 auto accidents caused property damage during 2017 in Broward County.
- 179 auto accidents in Broward County during 2017 were caused in part by alcohol consumption.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving Oakland Park
When you are preparing to file a car accident claim, you need the right legal representative on your side to ensure you have the highest chance of a positive outcome. At Florin|Roebig, our attorneys have represented countless clients in car accident cases throughout the state of Florida.
Some of our team members serving clients in Oakland Park are listed below:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Shaun M. Cummings
- Nicholas S. Costantino
- Michael A. Ossi, O.C.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
Perhaps nothing is more frustrating than dealing with the consequences of a car accident you did not cause. Although no amount of money will erase this negative experience from your life, collecting compensation for your injuries can make it easier to move forward. Please contact the attorneys at Florin|Roebig for a consultation today.