Car accidents in Panama City can be caused any time, anywhere, and the effects on each person involved can differ greatly. Just because one car and driver didn’t sustain major damage or injuries doesn’t mean that people in the opposing car weren’t affected.
Whether you’ve experienced property damage or personal injury, a car accident claim in Panama City can be difficult to complete and file simply because there are too many variables to account for. People seek the help of attorneys because they don’t want the best chance at filing a successful claim.
When you work with Florin|Roebig car accident lawyers, we not only empathize with your situation, we also give you valuable advice that leads to a successful claim. If you choose to hire us, we do the hard work of collecting evidence, speaking to relevant parties, and presenting your case in court when necessary. Find out more about car accident claims in Panama City and the types of damages you can file for.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Panama City
Car accidents can be caused by any number of events on the road, including:
- speeding: When drivers go above the speed limit, they may not realize how much extra time they need to stop or slow down.
- distractions: Smartphone usage has caused many people major distractions in all areas of life. On the road, this distraction can be dangerous and have major consequences.
- unexpected weather: From fog to rain to severe winds, drivers don’t always alter how they drive based on outdoor conditions.
- tire blowouts: A popped tire can be extremely dangerous on a busy road, and the driver may not have time to pull over before an accident occurs.
- drugs/alcohol: Prescription medications, illegal substances, or several martinis can all add up to a driver who should not be on the road.
- visibility: Older drivers or drivers with poor eyesight may have a difficult time distinguishing everything from stop signs to red lights.
You may be able to file a claim if any of these causes look familiar to you. It’s important to remember that the severity of an accident is not necessarily related to the cause. A simple glance down at a phone may not seem as dangerous as speeding, but it can easily result in a more serious collision.
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
When people hear about car accident claims, they may assume they’re filed solely for the purpose of a settlement. Accidents are financially devastating when you add in all the related expenses, and an insurance company is unlikely to factor in the cost of emergency childcare or the reality of future lost wages.
However, there are more reasons to file than the most obvious. Some people will file even if their main goal isn’t financial compensation because they understand the true consequences of allowing a dangerous driver to continue being on the roads.
There are plenty of drivers who make honest mistakes in Panama City. But for other drivers, only an extreme action will hold them accountable and prevent further incidents from occurring in the future.
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
Florida courts will evaluate the following factors before deciding on the outcome of your car accident claim:
- injuries: Physical injuries are generally considered the most important factor because it’s easier to quantify their effects based on their severity.
- life impact: A single accident can have lasting effects. If you need to take a year off to recover, this can result in anything from missed career opportunities to damaged relationships with your children.
- comparative negligence: Your claim is based on who was at fault and why. Florida courts will assign blame based on the circumstances, which may mean that the victim shares a small portion of fault in their case.
- type of claim: A personal injury claim will be settled differently than a property damage claim, with the property damage claim likely to be treated as much more of a straightforward settlement.
You have up to four years to file a claim depending on how long it took for the damages to become clear. If you suffered chronic back pain from the incident but it took a year to develop, you may still have a viable case.
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
Your settlement is largely dependent on how you present your situation in court. Because car accidents can quickly become complicated, an attorney can tell you more about the facts that will help your case. The stronger your claim, the more compensation you will likely receive in Panama City courts.
For example, say you were making minimum wage during an internship program, but that you were likely to be hired full-time by the company before you had the accident. An attorney will argue this in court so that you’re likely to be paid for your earning potential as opposed to the earnings from your paycheck.
The most important component when it comes to compensation is the overall effect the accident had on your life. If you can prove that everything from your professional to your personal life was interrupted, it’s more likely that you’ll receive additional consideration beyond the direct expenses of the accident.
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
Your claim can include multiple damages.
The following are the most common types of damages included in car accident claims:
- medical: This includes all necessary costs associated with professional healthcare practitioners, including doctors, nurses, physical therapists, and chiropractors.
- non-medical care: You may need non-medical help after your accident to keep up with daily duties, such as in-home aides, babysitters, and cleaners.
- wages: Missed time from work is generally inevitable in an accident, but you can also file for future wages that you would have made if the accident had never occurred (e.g., from an upcoming promotion).
- pain and suffering: These costs aren’t based on medical expenses, but rather your emotional reaction to the accident.
- spousal support: Known as loss of consortium, the spouse or partner of the victim may endure severe trauma from the accident. They may file for childcare-related costs, pain and suffering, or lost wages.
- punitive: Punitive damages are a means of punishing the at-fault driver. These are typically only granted if an attorney or claimant can prove that the driver was actively trying to hurt the victim.
Car (Auto) Accident Rates In Panama City
Bay County, where Panama City is located, has reported the following statistics for car accidents in their jurisdiction:
- In 2017, there were 4,051 total accidents in the county, 29 fatalities, and 2,192 injuries.
- In the same year, there were 2,614 property damage crashes.
- In 2017, 101 crashes were confirmed to be caused by alcohol.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving Panama City
Whether you’re struggling with a wrongful death claim or a property damage claim, car accident lawyers serving Panama City can help you decide which legal path to pursue. Florin|Roebig is here to provide you with a professional you can count on.
Some of our car accident lawyers include:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Chase P. Florin, B.C.S.
- Shaun M. Cummings
- Luca G Esposito
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
A car accident claim in Panama City may be the only way to recoup all you’ve lost from the accident. While nothing can ever right the wrong that occurred, financial compensation can give you the support you need to get through this critical time.
When you reach out to Florin|Roebig, you can discuss all of your concerns during the consultation. This can help you sort out your claim and make it easier to decide if you want to take the next step. Learn more about how to file a car accident claim in Panama City and how much compensation you may be eligible to win by contacting Florin|Roebig today.