Port Orange attracts many tourists, leading to an increase in traffic which can affect the number of car accidents in the city each year. Even minor car accidents can have a major impact on a person’s life, let alone larger ones that result in major injuries.
Car accident lawyers may not be able to solve every problem or right every wrong, but they may be able to help you learn your legal options and, in turn, begin working toward putting your life back together again. Whether the collision happened to you or someone you know, Florin|Roebig wants to help you with filing a claim and getting just compensation.
Common Causes Of Car Accidents In Port Orange
A car accident can happen for any number of reasons, but a few main causes result in the majority of car accidents.
- speeding: From suburb streets to the freeways, speeding is often a cause in the vast majority of car accidents.
- distracted driving: Your accident may have been caused by someone rubbernecking, checking their smartphone, adjusting their GPS, or fiddling with the radio station.
- recklessness: A reckless driver has abandoned all pretense of even trying to drive safely. Under certain circumstances, this crime may be charged as a felony in the state of Florida.
- physical impairments: Port Orange drivers may drive even when their eyesight is beginning to fail, their legs and feet are cramping up, or they have a blinding migraine.
- substances: Not only street drugs and alcohol can cause accidents. Many prescriptions can slow a driver’s reaction time, which can ultimately result in a collision.
- exhaustion: Tired drivers are compared to inebriated drivers for a reason. It’s wrong to get behind the wheel when a driver is ready to fall asleep.
- road conditions: Broken glass, rain-slicked patches of asphalt, and stray nails can result in a driver running off the road.
A car accident claim in Port Orange may be filed in court for any of the above causes. Drivers aren’t expected to drive perfectly, but they are expected to take preventative steps, such as pulling off the road if they can’t drive in stormy weather or waiting until they’re more alert before driving to their destination.
They are absolutely amazing and Jessica is absolutely amazing they got me the full amount from my car accident got me the medical bills reduced so I didn't have to pay as much and I still had some money left over they worked very hard on my case and tirelessly because the insurance company was not exactly cooperative
Reasons To File A Car Accident Claim
Car accident lawyers in Port Orange will tell you that every client has their own reasons for filing a claim. In many cases, the primary reason is to file for reimbursement for costs associated with losses caused by the accident.The medical costs alone can quickly begin to overwhelm a person with even the best insurance. However, the reality goes deeper than just the dollar value of the monetary damages.
Filing a car accident claim can have long-reaching effects on the community by ensuring that high-risk drivers don’t have the chance to hurt someone else on the road.
Whether you were badly injured or you sustained significant property damage, holding the other party accountable helps you protect the people of Port Orange (and anywhere else the driver may go).
Factors That Affect Car Accident Claims
The courts will review the following factors of the car accident to help determine how to rule and settle a claim:
- physical injuries: This can be anything from a concussion to wrongful death. The more severe and life-altering the injury, the more consideration you’re likely to receive.
- financial status: The judge will factor in everything from your earning power to the state of your bank account. The goal is to get the victim what they need to survive based on the reality of their life.
- comparative negligence: This term refers to how Florida determines fault in an accident. They may conclude that one driver was 90 percent at fault, while the other was 10 percent at fault. After the details have been explained, the courts will make their own ruling on fault, which may affect the outcome of the case.
- statute of limitations: You have a time period of four years to file a claim after a car accident in Florida. There are even certain scenarios where you can file after the time period has passed.
- type of claim: A property damage claim will be based on the monetary value lost during the collision, while a personal injury claim may include more intangible factors (e.g., pain and suffering, loss of consortium, etc.).
How Much Compensation Can You Win?
The compensation of each claim largely depends on just how much your life has changed after the accident occurred. In the worst-case scenario, wrongful death from a car accident can cut off the life of a child or young adult. The impact may permanently paralyze the victim, forcing them to quit their career forever.
Car accident lawyers in Port Orange won’t be able to tell you a precise dollar figure, but they can tell you more about the range you can expect to receive. They’ll ask about how pre-existing conditions may have contributed to the state of your current health and find out what your career and personal goals were prior to the accident and how they’ve changed.
The right lawyer understands that money cannot solve your problems after an accident. The most it can do is relieve some of the stress you feel and help everyone get back on their feet a little faster.
Our Featured Case Results
Types Of Damages Awarded In Car Accident Claims
Damages in car accidents are based on your personal experience.
Some of the damages which may be awarded for a car accident claim in Port Orange include:
- pain and suffering: Car accidents can cause anything from life-long anxiety to PTSD. You can file a monetary claim for the mental agony you endured after the crash.
- medical costs: Doctor visits, physical therapy sessions, major surgeries: the costs of your injuries can add up.
- at-home care: If you need a babysitter to help care for young children after an accident or a cleaner to put your home in order, you can include these damages in your claim.
- loss of consortium: Your spouse or partner can file for damages based on the circumstances of the accident. For instance, maybe they needed to take time off work to visit you in the hospital or care for you.
- wages: Victims can file for more than just the immediate time missed from work—they can also claim future wages if they’re forced to quit their job or significantly alter their career path.
- punitive damages: These damages are filed as a way to punish the other driver and are not based on mental or financial loss to the victim. (Please note these can only be awarded if the other driver wanted to cause the crash.)
Car (Auto) Accident Rates In Port Orange
Port Orange does not keep aggregate data for their car accidents, but Volusia County, where Port Orange is located, has reported the following:
- In 2017, there were 9,601 total accidents in the county resulting in 6,527 injuries and 5,042 property damage reports.
- 135 accidents in the county in 2017 were confirmed to involve alcohol.
- A fatal accident was more likely to occur on a Saturday than any other day of the week in 2017.
List Of Car Accident Attorneys Serving Port Orange
Florin|Roebig is here to help the people of Port Orange get the justice they deserve. Our car accident lawyers have been serving residents throughout Florida for more than three decades, gaining more than $1 billion in settlements total.
Some of our award-winning lawyers include the following individuals, as well as many more:
- Wil H. Florin, B.C.S.
- Tommy D. Roebig, B.C.S.
- Shaun M. Cummings
- Luca G Esposito
- Chad K. Florin, M.B.A., LL.M.
We Are Nationally Awarded Lawyers
Find Help Filing A Car Accident Claim
Florin|Roebig understands how difficult it can be to come to terms with a serious car accident. You’re under no obligation to schedule a consultation with a lawyer during this time, but you should at least consider how a lawyer might be able to shoulder some of the burdens you’re feeling. When you call us, we get to work for you right away—allowing you to take a much-deserved break from all the pressure.
Contact Florin|Roebig today to learn more about the process of filing a car accident claim in Port Orange, whether you qualify to file, and how much you may be able to gain in compensation.